1.5.8 and 2.2.0 to 2.5 transition Discussion

USSR_Rik

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be useful to mention (and update the OP thumbnail) that downloading and installing the 1.5 Beta updates/removes the Alpha. :)

Do u mean 1.5 beta or 2.5 beta?

The 2.5 beta installer asked me if i would like to keep or remove 2.2 alpha. I chose to keep it and let the 2.5 stable remove it once it's out. (after transfering necessary files so it won't need to download them)

Edited by MatthlK

The 1.5 Beta asked if I'd like to remove the Alpha (I said yes). However, after being away from the PC I've come back to find it's currently auto-updating the 1.5 Beta to 2.6.24.27 Beta (2.6???) and the old Alpha is still in my programs. I'll have to wait a while to see what the final outcome is.

The 2.6.24.27 is the updater version ... not the game itself... it often updates before game update...hope that helps

Install Process Prompts.

Only have 2.2 Open Alpha installed and shall do the download update when 2.5 Final is released.

Am aware that once I download the installer from: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/2.5 Final, download process will start and

at some point will copy from 2.2 Open Alpha modules, Nevada, Normandy maps to 2.5 Final. New Caucasus map of course is new so will need downloading with 2.5 Final.

Question1. What prompts will I see during the install process? What do they ask/mean?

Question2. What is the approximate download size of 2.5 Final and new Caucasus map?

Would really appreciate info from someone who has done a download install of 2.5 Beta where 2.2 Open Alpha

is their only DCS version. I have all modules and Nevada and Normandy already.

Thx...Gary

Do the reviews of the open beta reports, so far, indicate a 2.5 Release version about next week, as predicted?

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

• ED Team
Do the reviews of the open beta reports, so far, indicate a 2.5 Release version about next week, as predicted?

From Wags

The team is working very hard to bring 2.5 OB to final release. We have been reading all the feedback and striving to address all valid issues. The biggest one we are focused on is memory management. Less than a week after the 2.5 OB release, we released a hot fix today.

We don't want to paint ourselves in a corner and provide a 2.5 stable release date as there are too many unknowns regarding fixing some of the identified issues.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'm still with 1.5.8 stable but I'm eager to try 2.5; if I install 2.5 open beta downloading the installer I should have a new savedgame/dcs.openbeta folder with no settings, in which I could test graphics from scratch and import hotas settings, downloaded missions and liveries by copy&paste from 1.5.8, thus keeping my 1.5.8 stable untouched. Then, when 2.5 stable will be realeased, I could uninstall 1.5.8 stable, delete savedgame/dcs folder, then install 2.5 stable from scrath, import my settings from 2.5 openbeta and finally 1) delete 2.5 openbeta and keep only 2.5 stable, or 2) keep both 2.5 versions, stable and openbeta. Is this correct?

[...] Is this correct?

To the best of my knowledge, it should work exactly as you wrote down.

AFAIK, the 2.5 release version installer should even offer to delete 1.5 for you, or turn it into a separate version, so you shouldn't even have to uninstall it manually. But of course you can do that to be on the safe side.

sounds good Yurgon! I have 1.5.8 stable and 2.2 OA on different folders. Should i update them sepratly to 2.5 and then delete the duplicate 2.2 folders or should i have to, as recomended by USSR_rik, uninstall 2.2 OA beforehand and THEN Upgrade 1.5.8 to 2.5 stable via the updater ?

It appears to me that it does not really matters but i really strive to save the most disk space during that transition and to get rid of the every duplicate files that i possibly can.

Thx for your Help boys !

From Wags

I understand, perfectly. Just wanted to see how things were going.

Thanks

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Sorry in the first case i wanted to say : should i update 1.5.8 only then delete 2.2 OA folder supposed to have become a dead branch.

In this scenario, I'm certain that the 2.5 updater will ask you if it should delete 2.2 OA for you (mine did). :thumbup:

I would not delete 2.2 manually before the 2.5 installation, because the 2.5 updater can copy (or move) a whole bunch of files from 2.2, and that's usually a lot faster than downloading them from the Internet.

After everything is done and 2.2 deleted, you should check your Saved Games\DCS.OpenAlpha folder and either delete it or copy missions and other stuff over to 2.5, just in case the updater didn't do it.

2.5 is awsome, thanks for delivering ED, now its straits of Hormuz and the Hornet !! - anyone having issues with trackir with 2.5? I'm flying along when suddenly my forward view flips up and to the side, bit disconcerting in combat and on finals. Also was the mach loop mission with the Hawk an add on as it seems to have gone but of course I cant remember whether I downloaded it from somewhere else. After so many years of single missions Im going to try again to see if I can finally get to fly online with someone. Have the headphones, microphone but dont seem able to get teamspeak working. Wish there was a step by step guide to a numpty like me !!

anyone having issues with trackir with 2.5? I'm flying along when suddenly my forward view flips up and to the side, bit disconcerting in combat and on finals.

make sure that no lights is shining into the Trackcam (sunshine through window, electric lights, etc.).

After so many years of single missions Im going to try again to see if I can finally get to fly online with someone. Have the headphones, microphone but dont seem able to get teamspeak working. Wish there was a step by step guide to a numpty like me !!

get to me via pm and let me know if you´re interessted to meet for a online session. We can test everythings from Teamspeak over coopfliying and stuff. I also need to know where you live...timezone calculations as I´m working in 3 shift.

If you´re interested so I´ll give you TS Details and we can start...but not before Friday afternoon GMT

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Ive updated 2 PCs now and neither of them pull the files from 2.2. 1.5 updates to 2.5 and then after it is done it shows the download manager needs my other modules and then it torrents them to the tune of 40GB and 2 or 3 more hours of download time. I have 1Gb internet speeds to the desktop as well and rarely exceed 2Mbit/s download speeds to the DCS torrent servers. Sigh...

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

I've updated DCS 1.5.8 stable to 2.5 beta and all is well.

However, I have a question about the registry.

Under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World registry key there are values for:

• Language: EN
  • Path: C:\DCS
  • Version: 1.5

While Language & Path are self explanatory (and correct), the version still shows 1.5 even after updating (with dcs_updater @openbeta). Shouldn't it show "2.5" or "2.5 beta"?

[*]Is this something the updater failed to update?

[*]With autoupdate.cfg in the DCS root perhaps the registry entry isn't needed/used anymore?

[*]Should this be set to 2.5 or some other value?

I ask because I intend to use the DCS_updater to convert the 2.5 beta to release when it becomes available and want to make sure I don't end up d/l files unnecessarily.

Thanks for any info on this. Cheers.

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets