** F-14 Development Update: December 2018 **

Cobra847

... preview copies have gone out to YouTube channels...

Really? That's good news if that's true. You have a source for that info?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're over thinking it. Here's the way *I* read it. The quality of the product is a function of how much they are wiling to work on it. They can keep working on it for 15 years and it will be perfect, I'm sure. At some point, the software has to ship, even if, it has bugs. So they are saying that when they feel that it's good enough, they'll release it.

Just for reference, MS-DOS 5.0 is the *ONLY* operating system to never ship a dot release. Every software in the last 20 years has had bugs. It's just the way it is.

So to recap: They are saying that they will ship it when they feel the quality is representative of their commitment to quality, or if it's March 21st. Which ever comes first.

This is correct.

Giving us a window until March 21st allows us to release when we feel it meets our desired quality level.

We're our own publisher, afterall - and this is one of the biggest benefits of this. (Though, we do have financial and community pressure instead of publisher pressure!)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I do not want to see the state DCS and its modules would be in if one of todays big publishers would be able to apply pressure.

AIM-54 DLC

JESTER AI addon pack: GET THE VOICE OF *enter famous douchebag here*

Get skin boxes after each scored kill, opening them costs just 5$

Great that we have a small indie island around DCS. Ofcourse it does not always work out either but I bet it is less of a shitshow than what it could be with one of the big names.

Giving us a window until March 21st allows us to release when we feel it meets our desired quality level.

We're our own publisher, afterall - and this is one of the biggest benefits of this. (Though, we do have financial and community pressure instead of publisher pressure!)

That last part you've brought on yourselves. The announcement was awesome. (I bought it as soon as I realized it was available on your website.) That and the subsequent video's and interviews created a huge hype. Usually being able to pre-order a module means it's basically around the corner. And then having to announce that it could take up to an additional 3 months before we can have the module in our hands is a bit.. disappointing? You basically give yourselves over 5 months after opening up the pre-order to deliver the module

I don't question your decision to "delay" the module. You haven't delayed it after all, you're still aiming for the target zone, you just have missed the bullseye.. ;-)

Everyone has their weak spots and I think yours is that you love to tease and hype a wee bit too much and it (in my mind anyways) bites you in the rear-end. I am too old to get too upset about this. I would like to ask you to dim the teasing and such a bit for your next aircraft. (A-6 please please ??)

Cobra clearly said they'd be working at Christmas. Having have to work even at these days is pure capitalist BS and no good at all for the individual. I've been there as well and I know how much it sucks. Capitalism doesn't know holidays, but if you want to insist in your rights, you can start looking for a new job. That's a problem, however, which none of the HB guys have. I can wait 3 days more or less for a commercial product.
You are aware that Doctors, Nurses Firefighters, Police, Soldiers, Workers in Powerplants, Pilots, Train and bus drivers and dozens of others work in vital jobs for society where capitalist idiots do work on Christmas and every other holiday?

I would love to see the uproar when these people would just go home, let some old farts in the hospital die, don't care about the christmas tree catching fire and let your house burn down, or have a polite message that they will care about the robber after the holidays. ;)

And then, there are the people working in the stores on the 24th and right after or even during the holidays, so others can have fresh food, etc. it is debatable if this is critical for society, but I guess a lot of people are very happy, they don't need to make "survival plans" for the Christmas season - Toilet paper? Check! Canned beans? Check! Antibiotics? Check! ...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

That last part you've brought on yourselves. The announcement was awesome. (I bought it as soon as I realized it was available on your website.) That and the subsequent video's and interviews created a huge hype. Usually being able to pre-order a module means it's basically around the corner. And then having to announce that it could take up to an additional 3 months before we can have the module in our hands is a bit.. disappointing? You basically give yourselves over 5 months after opening up the pre-order to deliver the module

I don't question your decision to "delay" the module. You haven't delayed it after all, you're still aiming for the target zone, you just have missed the bullseye.. ;-)

Everyone has their weak spots and I think yours is that you love to tease and hype a wee bit too much and it (in my mind anyways) bites you in the rear-end. I am too old to get too upset about this. I would like to ask you to dim the teasing and such a bit for your next aircraft. (A-6 please please ??)

Well put. Totally agree with this. Whipping the community into a frenzy is unwise when timescales are months not weeks.

I've no doubt it'll be a great module though. Really looking forward to it.

Cobra clearly said they'd be working at Christmas. Having have to work even at these days is pure capitalist BS and no good at all for the individual. I've been there as well and I know how much it sucks. Capitalism doesn't know holidays, but if you want to insist in your rights, you can start looking for a new job. That's a problem, however, which none of the HB guys have. I can wait 3 days more or less for a commercial product.

So you didn't use electricity, flushed your toilet, went out to eat, nor watched TV/radio? I mean *someone* is manning all those. I have something that's due on the 28th. So you know what, I worked on Christmas day for a few hours. That's what grown ups do. You do have to do.

You don't have to be a slave, but capitalism is why Heatblur is making us this module. And whey ED exists. Isn't it?

BTW, I heard a rumor that it's going to drop this Friday :D LOL. This is how rumors get started!

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Lol...you really think Cobra and the guys are HB are being forced to work on the Holidays?

Give me a break with your ultra triggered "Capitalism is evil" poppycock ranting.

Hahahahahahahahaha! The broney crap makes sense now.

I believe the majority of people working on the F-14 are doing this as a second job. Beyond being "nice", that raises a very good *commercial* reason for time off over the holiday season.

People working second jobs already get limited time off which can stretch family and social ties to begin with. There is a level people get to where a second job is more trouble than it's worth. If working with one of our devs means they forfeit any holidays leading up to launch many won't be willing to do it. Smaller labor pool can mean lower quality workers, and that leads to lower quality modules. That's the call Cobra has to make, and it is his call, since giving his people holidays off doesn't look like it will mean we are waiting for the module beyond the release window.

Edited by Horns
Fixed punctuation

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Brilliant!! So well put :thumbup:

Agreed, very well said.

All this complaining...

I don't remember anyone saying a word on Hornet Preorder starting on January and EA hitting late May.

Pre-order, last year's gift cards,

All of those are HB's valid ways to get some funding while still working on a delayed module. All this is a trust based system.

You trust them now with your money, because you believe they will deliver a quality product.

There is no gain like investing in a company, nor the risk is very large.

But if you don't trust the publisher to make the product "trustworthy" Don't put your money there. And if you did, STFU and show that trust.

HB has earned mine, they are very very open and communicative as far as their progress and more important challenges.

I do not want to see the state DCS and its modules would be in if one of todays big publishers would be able to apply pressure.

AIM-54 DLC

JESTER AI addon pack: GET THE VOICE OF *enter famous douchebag here*

Get skin boxes after each scored kill, opening them costs just 5$

Great that we have a small indie island around DCS. Ofcourse it does not always work out either but I bet it is less of a shitshow than what it could be with one of the big names.

This has always been a concern in the back of my mind. What happens if DCS gets too successful, starts attracting the attention of the big houses. One of them decides to buy ED...

Year 0-1: nothing much changes, behind the scenes transitions.

1-2: increased content output, but new subscription model with micro transactions introduced.

2-3: quantity is favored over quality. High talent turnover, not much of the old guard left.

3+: ED is slowly bled dry, eventually becomes Ace Combat competitor. Passionate old guard forms new studio, starts from scratch again to carry the study sim torch. Wash, rinse, repeat.

(I think this is all extremely unlikely...except for the subscription model. Mark my words, it’ll happen. (And I wouldn’t necessarily consider it a bad thing.))

All this complaining...

I don't remember anyone saying a word on Hornet Preorder starting on January and EA hitting late May.

Pre-order, last year's gift cards,

All of those are HB's valid ways to get some funding while still working on a delayed module. All this is a trust based system.

You trust them now with your money, because you believe they will deliver a quality product.

There is no gain like investing in a company, nor the risk is very large.

But if you don't trust the publisher to make the product "trustworthy" Don't put your money there. And if you did, STFU and show that trust.

HB has earned mine, they are very very open and communicative as far as their progress and more important challenges.

ED got less flak because they knew better than to whip up so much hype.

Criticising and complaining aren't the same thing. HB have my money and I have no regrets about that, but that doesn't mean they can't do (their PR) better. Clearly I'm not the only one who thinks that, and who are you to disagree?

ED got less flak because they knew better than to whip up so much hype.

WOOT?

No, they just dazzeled us with the 2.5 hype train.

They pushed out 2.5 so you'll have something shiny and you won't notice the bug drifting. HB can't.

And they bug hype train had not stopped. Every week wags puts out another video showcasing another small Gizmo they got working... They are 6 months into EA and the feature list is no where near complete. You won't see HB doing that, because they can't afford doing it.

But hey, as long as we will all be happy campers in a cat, who cares? :)

And no, I didn't get the bug not in pre-order not anything else. I've decided to save my moneys for the cat.

And HB will get even more of it if the A-6 will end up real.

so, does that mean we can see content from them any time now or do you have a NDA in place until further notice?

Good question.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Everyone's complaining about 'hype' and whatever, but I just ordered a T-shirt from HB. I think the way they handled things so far has been excellent.

No-one is complaining about hype (at least in the last couple of pages), simply that the hype HB generated is a factor in the community pressure they now have to release the module.

Read what was actually said, not what you think was said.

I'm not gonna complain about the hype- I like to be in the know and it's great when we're kept updated, and given the choice to pre-order for if we wish to.

I took that as an option to support the developers and jump into the cat as soon as it's released, and of course to get myself a little discount. ;)

As far as I'm concerned, the release date of the tomcat is confirmed, but we *may* get it before then.

Thank you heatblur for bringing us the Tomcat! We understand the pressure that this alone brings, and I think most of us would rather it be released later and closer to completion, than earlier and missing important features. Best wishes :thumbup:

More hype has been generated by us Tomcat lovers than by Heatblur. I think they have played it relatively well. Enough teasers to keep people entertained, and tons of development info, which I tend to prefer.

All of the foaming at the mouth in this forum has been (generally) from two things:

1. People dropping in and posting Tomcat urban legends, claiming to know something about the aircraft, aerodynamics, basic physics, etc.

2. Impatient people who are unhappy and will use any excuse to try and drag others down with them.

I'm looking forward to the next text update. The ones to date (e.g., engine modeling, weapon performance analysis) have been awesome.

More hype has been generated by us Tomcat lovers than by Heatblur.

I mean, maybe after the scheduled live stream trailer release, and live stream mission. Then the pre-sale, which, like it or not, has a convention of being around a month before release. Oh, and the announcement that press copies are going out. This of course all happening shortly before the historical first flight date of the same aircraft.

It's called marketing. And it (drum roll please) creates hype.

I get a delay, programming is hard. But don't just be all like "well we're doing it to ourselves."

Because if we did, it is as a reaction to the above.

I was just content until the live stream rustled my jimmies

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

I mean, maybe after the scheduled live stream trailer release, and live stream mission. Then the pre-sale, which, like it or not, has a convention of being around a month before release. Oh, and the announcement that press copies are going out. This of course all happening shortly before the historical first flight date of the same aircraft.

You kind of just proved Dino Might's point though. I don't believe Heatblur ever said they wanted to release on the 21st. I'm not even sure they brought it up. The significance of that date for us was 100% contrived by us, and we built ourselves up that it was a release date. And once it passed, we got mad nothing happened. Just because that date happened to be near, is irrelevant. We assumed it had significance, but they never state such significance.