Screen flickering since 2.5.4

ams999

• ED Team
it seems like the majority of people are having this issue and there are a very small few that are not. Very odd...

I am not sure that is a fair assessment as only the people having the issue would really pipe up in this thread. I have talked with other testers and users and not found many if any that have this issue.

yeah, it has nothing to do with windows, drivers etc. This is definitely a DCS issue as it happened as soon as i installed 2.5.4 in December.

It has to be a combo of DCS and something else, otherwise, everyone would be affected.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I have the issue, both in the current OB and previous 2.5.4 OB.

I see it in VR and on monitor. Ive seen it on Caucasus, PG and NTTR (not tried Normandy, but Id be surprised if it didnt happen there too). Ive tried multiple modules, and without having hard data, Id say it happens in all I try. It doesnt matter if Im feet dry or wet, near or far away from the sea (the water is every where anyway). Cant find any relation to direction to sun or shadows. It only happens when I bank, never level. In VR its the eye (screen) on the side im banking, that quickly gives me a single frame black screen.

Happens to two friends too, also VR (Rift CV too, but thats the only thing equal, both hardware, software and settings).

Edit: Its much easier to spot / pick up in VR, than on monitor.

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I am not sure that is a fair assessment as only the people having the issue would really pipe up in this thread. I have talked with other testers and users and not found many if any that have this issue.

It has to be a combo of DCS and something else, otherwise, everyone would be affected.

out of the 7 people i fly with almost every night, they are all experiencing it.

in the Tomcat alley discord, which currently has 130 people online, there is yet anyone to say that have not had this issue. There was a massive discussion there yesterday about this as well.

You are the only one i have spoken to that has not had this issue, and the one other guy in this thread.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Check the post above yours.

Alrighty, I'll rephrase then: it doesn't happen to me, on my PC, with the aircraft that I fly (F-18, Mirage, MiG-21), in external view, in VR.

Just replayed your track and didn't see any flickering on my machine.

I did on mine: on the lower half of the screen (I started DCS in non-VR mode).

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I am not sure that is a fair assessment as only the people having the issue would really pipe up in this thread...

Sounds like a fair assessment to me since there's 2 threads about this issue, here and in the VR section. Threads filled with mostly people talking about having this issue, including me. No disrespect intended, Nine. Now it's not fair to say it's caused by DCS just because it started in the 2.5.4 update. Unfortunately, there's a lot of factors that could cause this.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I haven’t “piped up” because I see there’s multiple threads and hundreds of posts on this issue so I assumed it was being taken seriously. My bad for assuming I guess, I’m piping up now.

I’ve also been experiencing the random black square blinking since the moment I updated the OB in December. It can be extremely disorienting in VR. No other changes have been made to my system and none of my other games experience this. It is 100% a DCS issue.

I haven’t “piped up” because I see there’s multiple threads and hundreds of posts on this issue so I assumed it was being taken seriously. My bad for assuming I guess, I’m piping up now.

I’ve also been experiencing the random black square blinking since the moment I updated the OB in December. It can be extremely disorienting in VR. No other changes have been made to my system and none of my other games experience this. It is 100% a DCS issue.

I have done zero updates since end of November. The only update or change was the DCS OB update on 12-19-18. My first flight, i started having this issue and quickly noticed the threads popping up about it. the two on the forums and a ton of conversations on multiple discords.

Edited by Strikeeagle345

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I am not sure that is a fair assessment as only the people having the issue would really pipe up in this thread...

Pipe up... really?

Well this is officially me piping up.

I have talked with other testers and users and not found many if any that have this issue.
So is it not many or not any? Because everyone i know that uses VR and DCS gets this now, as do a couple of monitor users and by the looks of all these threads, there are alot more than YOU estimate.

ams999, I just uploaded your video to Youtube so everyone can easily see the issue. Hope you don't mind - let me know if you want it taken down.

Sure, that's a good idea, thanks!

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

Please. This is a known bug. Already confirmed by USSR_Rik. It happens with Water set to High in options. Put it on Medium and the flicker will go away.

Sorry if I come off as rude, but it has been brought up before and thats what you have to do to fix it.

Except, plenty of people have reported in this thread that setting water to Medium doesn't fix it.

ams999, I just uploaded your video to Youtube so everyone can easily see the issue. Hope you don't mind - let me know if you want it taken down.

This is exactly how it looks like for me aswell!

Its like a black square on the left side on the screen.

AMD Ryzen 5 3800X CPU

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64

G.Skill DIMM 16 GB DDR4-3600

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

Windows 10 - 64 Bit

THRUSTMASTER TFRP + T.Flight Hotas X / TrackIR 5

Except, plenty of people have reported in this thread that setting water to Medium doesn't fix it.

Yup. Doesnt help if you turn it down. Please read the thread first.

AMD Ryzen 5 3800X CPU

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64

Windows 10 - 64 Bit

The kicker with this issue is, there is no certain way of producing it. Like just now, I went into F-18 Caucasus Free Flight, and just stayed above Batumi, yanking and banking, high and low. 360's and loops, trying to trigger this. It would, multiple times, but at the same time, Id have long (relative) periods with nothing. I even changed a setting, as a test, Lense Flares off, and tried again. And for the first 3-4 minutes I didnt get the issue, so I was almost.. ooh, this it? But then. flicker flicker flicker. So freaking random. I can face the sea, or face the other way. I can face the sun, or the other way, have it on my left or right, belly or back, it doesnt care, it triggers when it triggers. But when testing / trying to reproduce, do try hard, and just do circles nose up, nose down, loops, go nutts. Yank and bank.

Sometimes its a big flicker where its clear my entire right screen (vr) produced a black screen, and other times its just a small portion.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I have the same issue in 2.5.4 and it started with the update to 2.5.4. There is a thread in the VR bug section about it which has been going since that update. Windows 10, Nvidia graphics (up to date) VR Oculus rift CV1. All Driver updates are jus done as updates. I had not piped in as this post was made in that thread so thought it was being looked at already:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3728259&postcount=37

Not only do I have the issue, but every single user (6-7) in my VFS has it as well. Only fix was to turn water to Medium. Also, I am curious why there is nothing but dash marks for the newest thread info and post # on the VR thread for bugs. Is that intentional or just an oversight? It almost makes it seem the thread is closed even though it is quite lively once you open it. :music_whistling:

System Specs: System Specs: MSI Tomahawk Z590 wifi, I9 11900K Processor, 64gb Corsair Vengance 3600mhz ram, 3080 Nvidia Video Card, Windows 11 Pro, 2 Samsung NVMe SSD (2tb and 1 tb), Valve Index VR system

... Also, I am curious why there is nothing but dash marks for the newest thread info and post # on the VR thread for bugs. Is that intentional or just an oversight? It almost makes it seem the thread is closed even though it is quite lively once you open it. :music_whistling:

This happened when they moved the VR Issues sub-forum to the VR Section.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

The only thing I noticed testing this in the Viggen is that it seems to start happening with the radar on. Once it's off however the flickers come back. It also can't be the only reason since people have posted videos of the Yak-52 causing flickers...

This happened when they moved the VR Issues sub-forum to the VR Section.

Thanks...... Probably a training issue on my end, :book:. Although, why wouldn't VR issues count as bugs just as any other issue does?:huh:

System Specs: System Specs: MSI Tomahawk Z590 wifi, I9 11900K Processor, 64gb Corsair Vengance 3600mhz ram, 3080 Nvidia Video Card, Windows 11 Pro, 2 Samsung NVMe SSD (2tb and 1 tb), Valve Index VR system

Hey guys, I just asked Rik about this, the team was able to reproduce on their end, and it is with them trying to diagnose. So they are working on it.

Thank you.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

Hey guys, I just asked Rik about this, the team was able to reproduce on their end, and it is with them trying to diagnose. So they are working on it.

Finally some good news,

thank you guys for your efforts! :thumbup:

AMD Ryzen 5 3800X CPU

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64

Windows 10 - 64 Bit