F10 radial menu that works just like the F-14 Jester menu

HoneyBadger

That's a very good idea!

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Great idea! It would make quite a difference.

The current radio menu persists sometimes - e.g. with ATC landing requests. ED would need to work out if that's really needed as a persistent radial menu taking up screen estate would be problematic.

PC specs:

Always wanted it to be bigger at least, same for the comms lines in the top left corner. Fonts are so tiny they're literally impossible to read, since the tech is based on very old instances of the sim that ran on 800x600 or 1024x768 in most cases. We're far beyond that now and the font size in px didn't change at all. Above of that they're white. On a light blue background usually. The worst mess you could ever produce in terms of readability... rainbowdashwink.png

That wheel would be a totally different world. And it would work with 12 sections as well to accomodate the F keys completely.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

The F10 menu has always been awkward to use in DCS, especially in VR. ED should take the radial menu from the F-14 and have it work for the radios.

I, for one, find Jester menu hard to read (meaning find what I want) and awkward. The default keys are hard to use too for me. Maybe it's just experience thing but I would prefer to scale the fonts for starters in F10 menu.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I, for one, find Jester menu hard to read (meaning find what I want) and awkward. The default keys are hard to use too for me. Maybe it's just experience thing but I would prefer to scale the fonts for starters in F10 menu.

Do you have head tracking? That's honestly the proper way to use the Jester Menu as I can see using keys to be awkward.

Do you have head tracking? That's honestly the proper way to use the Jester Menu as I can see using keys to be awkward.

Yes, but headtracking will never be as fast as keys... and feel awkward for me now in this menu.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 2 weeks later...

Have to offer a dissenting opinion myself...I find covering the entire screen with a giant radial menu extremely distracting. It's a necessary evil given the complexity of the interactions required with Jester, but the thought of having to use a menu that covers a large portion of my FOV while in a close fight (i.e. asking for a dope after losing someone in a merge) doesn't appeal.

Have to offer a dissenting opinion myself...I find covering the entire screen with a giant radial menu extremely distracting. It's a necessary evil given the complexity of the interactions required with Jester, but the thought of having to use a menu that covers a large portion of my FOV while in a close fight (i.e. asking for a dope after losing someone in a merge) doesn't appeal.

I agree. If this is added, making it an option so the old F10 menu can be kept. More options is generally a good thing.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Good idea! The F menu is indeed awkward. Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery, afterall :p

Great, as I made a pie menu idea for 1.2.x wishlist back in the days. Many were against that back then... Guess why?

My idea was to use any 8-way hat as a pie menu manipulation. You press button X to open menu, then every direction was an option that you selected and then pressed X button to execute it. If you didn't select any direction but pressed the same X button then you went back one step or closed the menu.

Simple, easy and quick. It was to be for all radio communications, view selections (like outside, rear, fly-by etc) as well option to use for every cheat (target closest target, nearest of crosshair etc) as well for many other operations like landing gear, flaps etc etc in FC3.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 3 weeks later...

ED could make the Pie menu optional in that case. It could just be a drop down in the gameplay menu:

F10 menu options:

Standard F-key Menu (Classic)

Radial Menu

You could get pretty close to the radial idea with an option for a keybind that temporarily centers the VR mouse cursor so you can manipulate the radio menus a little easier, either making it a momentary or toggle switch that is bindable.

• ED Team

I have switched to voice activation now I only fly in VR which works well for me, but it would be nice to see these menus made easier for VR users.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 3 months later...
The F10 menu has always been awkward to use in DCS, especially in VR. ED should take the radial menu from the F-14 and have it work for the radios.

Excellent idea! :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

• 2 years later...

Steam overlay works in non-VR game. But I have not managed to see my menu's in my Oculus quest 2 headset, and from what I've read even if i do get steam overlay to show in DCS it will significantly impact on the VR quallity. IE. frame rate etc. This I believe is because the you have to run Steam VR as well, adding another step to the process of running the game. Is there no "in-game menu mapping software out there, besides Steam overlay?