HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Everyone at HP, Best Buy and Amazon has gone radio silent on the reverb concerning the botched release and inventory levels. They wholly underestimated the response to the first release of a "semi-gen2" pc vr headset. They are getting shellacked.

Could be. But its probably for the best, we gotta get that VR fix first IMO.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I did a online chat with HP sales here in Australia, at least they’re claiming to be in Australia. They were aware of the Reverb and had been asked by others when it would be released. They’ve checked and there is no word from management.

I’m choosing to look at this optimistically, if it was a huge production fault or delay, common sense would say that they should let their customers know something. If on the other hand it was something like a distribution problem that could be solved within a matter of days then I wouldn’t necessarily bother. Keep them waiting could cause a bit of extra hype, hey, who would have thought!

If it gets released this week, in a months time the delay will be forgotten but the hype will still be there. Machiavellian, perhaps, cynical definitely, but that’s my view.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

It is just pure marketing issue. There is a lot of interest in it and to be honest just month ago no one knows is existing at all and now everybody talking about.

It is obvious product exist and it was already sent to reviewers to do reviews. After that will be released on the market.

HP announced will be available worldwide and as usual first will be released on the US and shortly after that to the rest of the world.

Fact hot it is silent right now could be just the opposite. A product could be extra good so they want to achieve maximum benefit once when will be available to the public.

I just pre-ordered mine from Amazon after reading Amazon's statement on the page that they won't run my card until they actually have a unit to ship to me. In the mean time, I have my CV1,and lots of other things to keep me occupied. I figure that speculation on my part isn't going to change reality or make things happen any faster. I'll just wait and see what happens. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

In addition to the issues around delays. There’s the little issue of DCS VR improvements probably being required to run 4.6 gazillion pixels at whatever frame rate can be achieved. Seems an unlikely prospect without it.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Yea they mention it's more meant for workstations and Enterprise use so we may not have the best colors/tracking for games. Will have to wait for those that get one to really test it in DCS.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

That and the Mura, and overall uneven picture sounds bad. Especially both these headsets sound like crap for night flying with the actual presentation of the image. Bummer

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/05/a-tale-of-two-inside-out-vr-headsets-the-400-oculus-rift-s-600-hp-reverb/

Reverb has issues and is not for everyone. Think hard before purchasing.:thumbup:

I reckon most people will do the sensible thing and just wait for some reviews before parting with their money. Waiting a month for the dust to settle seems the optimum choice. Regardless the higher resolution makes it a no brainer for VR simmers in relation to the other pretenders 1.5 HMD`s. Going by the pics on the thread the Reverb is the obvious choice or the Acer high res version if it has the mechanical IPD. The other units just look piss poor versus the Reverb as of now.

I reckon most people will do the sensible thing and just wait for some reviews before parting with their money. Waiting a month for the dust to settle seems the optimum choice. Regardless the higher resolution makes it a no brainer for VR simmers in relation to the other pretenders 1.5 HMD`s. Going by the pics on the thread the Reverb is the obvious choice or the Acer high res version if it has the mechanical IPD. The other units just look piss poor versus the Reverb as of now.

Ah so you have worn this new headset? Resolution sounds great, picture quality does not. Surprised that the ipd range is such a low range and that anything outside that range seems it will be a blurry uncomfortable mess.

All for resolution, but if the picture thats presented to your eyes is uneven and colors are off no thanks.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Ah so you have worn this new headset? Resolution sounds great, picture quality does not. Surprised that the ipd range is such a low range and that anything outside that range seems it will be a blurry uncomfortable mess.

All for resolution, but if the picture thats presented to your eyes is uneven and colors are off no thanks.

You seem a tad confused. I never said I had a Reverb, I said I`ll be waiting for reviews. I thought what I said was couched in a non complex manner, unless of course English is not your first language. In which case I`m glad to clarify. Having a good resolution on a HMD is comparable to having a good foundation on a house. Skimp on the foundation and all the fancy furniture and features in the house aren`t worth crap as it falls down around you. Likewise if the res is not up to snuff on the HMD, then a fancy pair of earphones or godlike tracking can be consigned to the bin. I`ll take the resolution first, and work from there. WMR tracking will suffice for me as a simmer and optics will be assessed on review. I imagine they will be a step above my CV1 which together with the vastly superior resolution will work for me. As for the IPD, that will all be considered on review, noting the Acer HMD in the works. The superior resolution solutions of both these units have put them front and center in my considerations with the inferior 1.5 Rift S and Index already halfway to the non consideration bin as is.

I may be tempted to pick up the Rift S if it dropped to 250 euro or less, otherwise it`s also for the crapper.

Edited by Zoomer

It is a little disappointing, however it is noted that the first release is the business set, and the consumer version is coming later.

I wonder if this is to allow them a little more time for tweaking the displays more towards gaming?

I hope so. I am somewhat impulsive and apt to jump onto something at a moments notice, however in regard to the arstechnica review, I think I will hang back and watch the reviews.

I got burned by being the first to review the 2080TI and got not one but two of the problematic early batch for my trouble.

Not this time, no sirree Bob.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/05/a-tale-of-two-inside-out-vr-headsets-the-400-oculus-rift-s-600-hp-reverb/

Reverb has issues and is not for everyone. Think hard before purchasing.:thumbup:

Every VR HMD has compromises. I'm not sure why they are harping on the Reverb clarity blurring in the periphery. Every VR headset does that. That's why just like in real life you do most viewing or "looking" using your neck, not moving your eyes large angles off to the side.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Looks like I might be hanging on to my Vive Pro for a while longer after that review!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Looks like I might be hanging on to my Vive Pro for a while longer after that review!

Yeah , that leaves only the Index in the running for me . And i will concentrate on maxing the potential of my Rift instead if the reviews for it are as disappointing .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Seems like 1080 is a minimum for the reverb. Arstechnia mentions here you can use a 1070 card but resolution/effects automatically get down sampled.

"If you'd like to occasionally connect a high-res Reverb to a lower-than-recommended GPU, we think that's OK. Our use of a notebook-grade GTX 1070 worked in a range of popular games, but most of these automatically downgraded their resolution, anti-aliasing, or super-sampling settings. Some apps don't play as nicely, and trying to push "normal" settings in a visually rich game like Moss resulted in the kind of frame rate stutters that we wouldn't dream of recommending. But if that kind of lower-powered PC is your only option, we suggest more caution."

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

MRTV will do a review of the Reverb (possibly with through the lens footage) today when this post is 2 hours old:

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Seems like 1080 is a minimum for the reverb. Arstechnia mentions here you can use a 1070 card but resolution/effects automatically get down sampled.

"If you'd like to occasionally connect a high-res Reverb to a lower-than-recommended GPU, we think that's OK. Our use of a notebook-grade GTX 1070 worked in a range of popular games, but most of these automatically downgraded their resolution, anti-aliasing, or super-sampling settings. Some apps don't play as nicely, and trying to push "normal" settings in a visually rich game like Moss resulted in the kind of frame rate stutters that we wouldn't dream of recommending. But if that kind of lower-powered PC is your only option, we suggest more caution."

For DCS that likely means 2080 or 2080ti.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

For DCS that likely means 2080 or 2080ti.
2080 is equal to 1080ti. I'm no way upgrading to a 2080ti for this. I'll just wait until others have tried it in DCS. Worst case scenario is I just keep using my Odyssey.

Every VR HMD has compromises. I'm not sure why they are harping on the Reverb clarity blurring in the periphery. Every VR headset does that. That's why just like in real life you do most viewing or "looking" using your neck, not moving your eyes large angles off to the side.

Its also much easier to notice blurring, when the image in the sweet spot is so much sharper than everybody else's. Its all relative. That review has a lot of "this probably means that in this situation it does this---" speculation in it. The only review that matters to me is my own observations in what I'm using the HMD for, and the retailer's return policy can take care of the rest if it becomes necessary. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Hp reverb review live in 20 minutes. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly: