HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

No it's ok, i sanded it a bit, i think it's ok now

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I see. That's unfortunate. Just curious, was it physical loss of vision or was it something like amblyopia or strabismus? The whole reason why I got into VR in the first place was because I wanted to help with my son's strabismus (commonly known as lazy eye). There was a kickstarter for an app called Diplopia that helped my son. At the time, medical literature said that unless you fix it at age 2-4, you can't fix it. Then McGill university proved that the brain more pliable than previously known.

The Diplopia app became See Vividly. Again, if it's a physical damage, you can't see stereo. But if it's something else, check out https://www.seevividly.com/

I don’t remember what it is called. Some very tiny veins became clogged, resulting in some dead optic nerves. I have a very blurred spot on the center of my field of vision. Periferal vision is OK, but doesn’t help a lot. I was hoping that what I can see with my right eye would be enough to satisfy VR. But it isn’t.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

I think there may be a problem with the right eye of the Reverb.... possibly.

I have just had my eyes retested and I will wait until my new glasses arrive in 7 days before I talk about the reverb actual. The test was a revelation from my original eye test in 2015.

If the new glasses work out fine I will order my VR opticians permanent mounts.

I believe the right optiks unit may be secondary to the primary left when it comes to power distribution, it is possible that the USB power supply needs to come from a USB C (1.5 ampere) powered USB hub instead of the standard 3.0 USB gen 2 0.9 Ampere hub.. perhaps!

Perhaps a powered hub may do the job.

Perhaps this due to the dreaded left eye mirrored to monitor.

My right eye has a tear of brighter light down the right eye piece, top to bottom, It intersects the central focal point perfectly. This could be a power issue or could just be a specific optikal or screen abnormality specific to my unit.

The tear of lighter light is hardly noticeable in DCS combat and flight.... but it is there. I most notice it in the hunk of junk VR houses that come as standard with this virtual head piece..... Steam VR home home is pretty awesome mind!

For the chopper pilot, there is no doubt that this head set is a valuable tool to the simulator...... I find it hard to describe exactly what makes its obvious attributes virtually impossible for me to go back to 2D monitors. I think the real world scale is probably it,

The size of the world you look at and how that translates to your chopper seems to bring the virtual into the real with ease.

I think in the 2D world, the movement just never made sense, real world joystick movement seems to be related to a tiny little chopper in a tiny little screen.

In VR it is a big world chopper in a true world scale, the movement of the real world cyclic is perfectly in tune with the real scale world in which it sits. VR is a thing of beauty.

Holding the gazelle on the edge of a building, opening the door and leaning out and looking down the edge of the building to the real world sized BTR sitting at the base of the building is just something special!

My only conclusion so far is that VR is true!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Excellent, helpful video for novices which I'm sure a lot of peple will find really useful.

Just a couple of little points.

1) HMD stands for head-mounted display, not helmet-mounted. (Trivial!)

2) saving files in Notepad to avoid getting the txt extension is easier than you suggest. You just select 'all files' from the drop down instead of 'text documents'.

3) In my opinion, the way you describe the effect of PD and SteamVR SS is a little confusing. You say a PD of 1.5 increases by 50%, and a value of 200% doubles in SteamVR, but that is not strictly true. You're not comparing like for like there. A PD of 1.5 increases the number of pixels per axis by 50% to give a total increase in pixels of 1.5*1.5, i.e. 2.25 times the original number - more than doubling. However, a SteamVR value of 200% does double the number of pixels. SteamVR 200% is roughly equivalent to a PD value of 1.4.

Great video though!

I guess i must have mumbled the "display" part of HMD. It was a single take :)

I debated going deeper about SS/PD. But given the audience target, I just wanted to convey that 1.0 and 100% equivalent. However, I noticed that I was starting to go down a rathole that I wanted to avoid.

I may do another one that's more detailed. But I better get on the through-the-lens video first.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Ok y'all...I have a Reverb inbound...We have several WMR systems so it's not much efforts to put it into service. Though I am planning to watch @HSB's vid to make sure I didn't miss anything.

This one is going on my personal system, and I am migrating from the DK2 => CV1 => Reverb. I chose the Reverb primarily for the reason that the Rift S headband is some garbage. I hate those halos, FWIW.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Also.

The casual user should be aware of IPD measurements made at home. with a simple ruler my IPD measurement across 10 measurements averaged at 67 mm

With a mitututovo Vernier calipers I measured an average of 64.7mm and with my last optician measurements gave a value of 64.4 mm.

measuring with a ruler is for Sh!t!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Personally, I reckon DCS Pixel density is related to the processor rendering rather than Super Sampling. Super Sampling is simply for setting the resolution of the VR eye ware, it is a function of the graphics card and eye piece...... DCS Pixel density is a fundamental function of the CPU graphics driver.... its adjustment is fundamental to the overall performance of the single core DCS engine!

A 0.1 adjustment in Pixel Density affects the performance of the weapon massively!

That's what I reckon..... could be wrong mind!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

For me VR is just incredible,

it is not the awesome head tracking that just seems to work every time.

it is not the massive cockpits that surround you.

it is not the Huey or MI-8's cockpit's bus scale pits that drop into a turn that blows me.

it is not the scale of the world outside that blows me.

it is the finesse of control you have in this large world, It is the small maneuverers in DCS VR that are just simply superb, it is almost like your joystick has a totally different output from that little crappy 2D monitor .... DCS choppers are just unreal in VR!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

I guess i must have mumbled the "display" part of HMD. It was a single take :)

I debated going deeper about SS/PD. But given the audience target, I just wanted to convey that 1.0 and 100% equivalent. However, I noticed that I was starting to go down a rathole that I wanted to avoid.

I may do another one that's more detailed. But I better get on the through-the-lens video first.

Trivial I know, but it was that you said ‘helmet-mounted’ instead of ‘head-mounted’, not that you missed ‘display’.

Good luck with the new video!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

For me VR is just incredible,

it is not the awesome head tracking that just seems to work every time.

it is not the massive cockpits that surround you.

it is not the Huey or MI-8's cockpit's bus scale pits that drop into a turn that blows me.

it is not the scale of the world outside that blows me.

it is the finesse of control you have in this large world, It is the small maneuverers in DCS VR that are just simply superb, it is almost like your joystick has a totally different output from that little crappy 2D monitor .... DCS choppers are just unreal in VR!

:thumbup:

Agreed!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

OK, as promised, a quick 15min tutorial on the settings that you can play with or setup in Windows Mixed Reality portal and SteamVR setting.

Hope it helps. LMK here or on YT if you have any questions.

Quick note about Asynch Reproj. It's actually always enabled with WMR HMDs. Your text file change simply uses a different algorithm than the normal. It displays different artefacts compared to the normal mode. After over 150 hours of VR tweaking and testing, I could not find a way to disable asynch warp. The only way to do it automatically is to match your FPS to the HMD's refresh rate, either 60 or 90, depending o what you set in the WMR options.

I've been meaning to write a detailed post about this, as 99% of VR users totally misunderstand what it does, and how it works.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I believe the right optiks unit may be secondary to the primary left when it comes to power distribution, it is possible that the USB power supply needs to come from a USB C (1.5 ampere) powered USB hub instead of the standard 3.0 USB gen 2 0.9 Ampere hub.. perhaps!

Perhaps a powered hub may do the job.

These VR headsets, especially the Reverb should always be used with powered USB hubs (or separately powered PCIe cards) in general. No one with a sane mind does want to power his computer screen via USB connection, let alone two displays. This is basically what these headsets are.

These VR headsets, especially the Reverb should always be used with powered USB hubs (or separately powered PCIe cards) in general. No one with a sane mind does want to power his computer screen via USB connection, let alone two displays. This is basically what these headsets are.
I have a powered hub and a PCIe USB card. My Reverb only works with the motherboard USB. When I had the Index it wouldn't work with my motherboard USB nor the powered hub, that is why I ended up getting the PCIe card with which it worked. No one solution seems to fit all...

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I have a powered hub and a PCIe USB card. My Reverb only works with the motherboard USB. When I had the Index it wouldn't work with my motherboard USB nor the powered hub, that is why I ended up getting the PCIe card with which it worked. No one solution seems to fit all...
This is true, not all pcie cards work for everyone. I had to buy a different one, startek with individual power for each bus that I use now. I also have a powered USB hub which I use for my hotas.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Quick note about Asynch Reproj. It's actually always enabled with WMR HMDs. Your text file change simply uses a different algorithm than the normal. It displays different artefacts compared to the normal mode. After over 150 hours of VR tweaking and testing, I could not find a way to disable asynch warp. The only way to do it automatically is to match your FPS to the HMD's refresh rate, either 60 or 90, depending o what you set in the WMR options.

I've been meaning to write a detailed post about this, as 99% of VR users totally misunderstand what it does, and how it works.

I think a lot of folks here (who've been around the block) would certainly appreciate it. I'll add it to the comment to link to it so let me know.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Ok y'all...I have a Reverb inbound...We have several WMR systems so it's not much efforts to put it into service. Though I am planning to watch @HSB's vid to make sure I didn't miss anything.

This one is going on my personal system, and I am migrating from the DK2 => CV1 => Reverb. I chose the Reverb primarily for the reason that the Rift S headband is some garbage. I hate those halos, FWIW.

OH, I think you're going to like it. Just make sure you wiretie the cables so it won't pull on the connectors. Ironic that Reverb is more like CV1 than S.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

It also depends how much other stuff you have connected to the same USB controller. I have 4 other devices which need power, excluding mouse and keyboard here. If you have all of your flying gear and Reverb plugged into the same motherboard USB controller and everything is working without flaws, then - well you have won the USB controller lottery! If I would get my Reverb shipped for DCS I wouldn't really bet on this and buy something for a better power source right off the bat, nevermind the 20 bucks. You wouldn't really want to wait another three days or so for the next package to arrive when you got the Reverb already, would you?

OH, I think you're going to like it. Just make sure you wiretie the cables so it won't pull on the connectors. Ironic that Reverb is more like CV1 than S.

It should ship with a clip, that means you don’t have to...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Can you pleas explain what you mean by that?

All I know is that if I don’t enable motion reproduction in the vrsettings file, then there is no restraint on my fps. I get anything in the range of 30-90. With it on, it’s pretty much just 45 or 90.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

So another new guy to the VR tweaking abyss... I'm 30-40 hours into it at this point.

Understood it may be over the top in terms of $$ (and knowing the true performance issues are not hardware), but I'm curious if anybody is running 2 x 2080ti's using an NVLink? And if so - are they able to max it out?

TIA

Rix

4090 - 5800X3D - Aero

Im rather new to VR and having a Rift S. Did not like the Reverb. But I only put in a few hours in tweaking the settings. Not just because there is less to tweak with a Rift. When I had a point, where it was ok for me I stopped. There is no use in tweaking and tweaking if the final result is not that different. Except if you like doing it. And there is rarely the perfect setting, its all compromise.

In 2D I pretty soon stopped have Afterburner show me my fps. If its ok for you, it dont matter if its 33 or 93fps.

About dedicated PCI-usb-Cards. When I tested the Reverb it worked on my mainboards USB-port. Also the first Rift worked without problem. My current Rift S rarely worked with my mainboards USBs and also a powered dedicated PCI-USB-card didnt work. Now with a powered USB-hub it works most of the time.

Im rather new to VR and having a Rift S. Did not like the Reverb. But I only put in a few hours in tweaking the settings. Not just because there is less to tweak with a Rift. When I had a point, where it was ok for me I stopped. There is no use in tweaking and tweaking if the final result is not that different. Except if you like doing it. And there is rarely the perfect setting, its all compromise.

In 2D I pretty soon stopped have Afterburner show me my fps. If its ok for you, it dont matter if its 33 or 93fps.

Exactly. :D You don't need to know how the sausage is made to know whether or not it tastes good.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

About dedicated PCI-usb-Cards. When I tested the Reverb it worked on my mainboards USB-port. Also the first Rift worked without problem. My current Rift S rarely worked with my mainboards USBs and also a powered dedicated PCI-USB-card didnt work. Now with a powered USB-hub it works most of the time.

For some a powered PCI USB card works like a charm, for others it fails and the powered USB hub does the trick. It could be that those that don’t find success with the PCI USB card need an upgraded PC power supply as well.

So another new guy to the VR tweaking abyss... I'm 30-40 hours into it at this point.

Understood it may be over the top in terms of $$ (and knowing the true performance issues are not hardware), but I'm curious if anybody is running 2 x 2080ti's using an NVLink? And if so - are they able to max it out?

TIA

If you're suffering, I'm guessing you have a CPU bottleneck. 2080Ti will handle Reverb just fine. I did zero tweaking. Well, I do have Process Lasso but that's about it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---