Main Enemy of the Tomcat?

Rhinozherous

Most of fighter aircraft have an enemy equivalent. Like spitfire and dora or F5 and Mig21... Since the Cat has a quite long time of service they may have changed, but what would you say is the main agressor for the tomcat? Especially for the cold war time span?

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Mig-23/ Su-15 Initially, After the mid 80's Su-27/Mig-29, and possibly the Mig-31 if in the right theaters.

Keep in mind these are contemporaries/ what they would have expected to encounter, and less match for match equivalents.

Don't forget the Mig25 and ... Mig28! :)

Dick Cheney?

:megalol:

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Dick C dlcked around a analy abuesd Grumman and killed the F-14 Tomcat in favor of the B mafia and F18EF. Not only did he do everything to kill the Tom he made sure all tools and production equipment and lines are destroyed including blueprints and the proposed advanced F-14 that Grumman had ready by that time. Tomcats could take on any Mig 29 or SU27 there was quite some mock engagements between them in the past. And just recently a lenendary F14 pilot past away Joe HOSER Satrapa a real gunfighter and BadAss who also managed to gun down two USAF F15 Eagles in a single day, ofcourse mock fight but Airforce wasn't very happy about it and asked the Navy to destroy the TCS footage wich Navy did but not before HOSER made sure a copy remained with him. RiP HOSER :(

Turn'n'Burn..Baby! :joystick:

To be fair, Tomcat's main combat legacy was more in Iran than USN, which may sound odd, but that is how the history decided things to go.

With this in mind, it would appear the main opposition for the Tomcat would have been Mirage F-1 and MiG-23MLA, as well as occasional MiG-25.

Not that they are balanced in capabilities, but historically these are the things that traded punches with F-14 most often.

Edit: I forgot to add that both MiG-23MLA and Mirage F-1 are among modules planned for future in DCS, by Razbam and Aviodev respectively.

Edited by WinterH

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Dick C dlcked around a analy abuesd Grumman and killed the F-14 Tomcat in favor of the B mafia and F18EF. Not only did he do everything to kill the Tom he made sure all tools and production equipment and lines are destroyed including blueprints and the proposed advanced F-14 that Grumman had ready by that time.

You have got to wonder if he was receiving bribes from Boeing to kill it and therefore help them sell the Superbug.

The main enemy of tomcat, as originally envisioned were Soviet bombers and their cruise missiles. And of course any aircraft that got near the carrier group.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil WarBRD, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Sorry for getting out of the box here, but obviously their main enemy in the cold war was the Tu-22M. That aircraft was designed to destroy their carriers (and thus the entire aircraft fleet including the F-14s) and the F-14 was designed to counter those Backfire and other bombers.

Edit: I see that @some1 was quicker than me :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You have got to wonder if he was receiving bribes from Boeing to kill it and therefore help them sell the Superbug.

Evrything is possible but fact is he killed the Tom basically at his prime the D was a masterpiece and Grumman had really improved maintenence time for the D and specialy for the proposed F-14 Advanced which was in evry aspect better then the F18EF yet B boyz got the contract thanks to D.C. I can imagine he possible got a substantial sum somewhere on some offshore account.

Turn'n'Burn..Baby! :joystick:

When I joined my first F-14 squadron in 1981 (VF-24), the A-model was still relatively new and some US Navy squadrons were still flying Phantoms. The potential threats that we most often trained for were the MiG-17 and MiG-21, which were not match of a threat beyond visual range (BVR), but could be a handful if you got engaged within visual range (WVR). Since we always expected to be outnumbered, and with the lessons from the air war over Vietnam still fresh, we spent a lot of our training fuel and time on ACM – air combat maneuvering, or dogfighting.

From this article.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

It kind of depends which variant of the Tomcat to me.

F-14A (1970-80s) - MiG-23M, MiG-25 and Su-15.

F-14B - MiG-23MLD, MiG-31.

F-14D - Su-27, MiG-29 and MiG-31.

As far as other Western aircraft. I've heard the F-15 always gave the Tomcat the most trouble in mock fights.

To think, a simple software upgrade would have allowed the Cat to use the AIM-120 instead of being stuck with the AIM-7. :(

Edited by CarbonFox

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

Most of fighter aircraft have an enemy equivalent. Like spitfire and dora or F5 and Mig21... Since the Cat has a quite long time of service they may have changed, but what would you say is the main agressor for the tomcat? Especially for the cold war time span?

It's aggressors are Tu-22, Tu-95, Tu-160 and Su-24.

Fighters were left for others to deal with.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

As far as other Western aircraft. I've heard the F-15 always gave the Tomcat the most trouble in mock fights.

Trouble yes, but F-14 caused the trouble for F-15 by beating it on dogfights. Causing even Japan to reconsider cancelling F-15 orders as F-14 could win it on both, BVR and VWR.

But F-14 was just too expensive and unreliable by service times.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Trouble yes, but F-14 caused the trouble for F-15 by beating it on dogfights. Causing even Japan to reconsider cancelling F-15 orders as F-14 could win it on both, BVR and VWR.

But F-14 was just too expensive and unreliable by service times.

Source? I've never read anything about Japan reconsidering the Eagle.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3