Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Arrived this morning..

Spent an afternoon with it ..result: my odyssey+ is in a box Forever.

Sure the sde is back (but barely noticeable) but the clarity is higher with lower pixel density (and more fps) i can have 80fps where before was never possible (but mostly 40 anyway).

The sound is not so bad like many say here...sure the cv1 or odyssey+ headset are better but the s one have their pros

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of further results from more testing.

Comfort.. Getting better. I just pulled off the top strap and now I can better get the HMD to fit my face.

And I totally forgot to mention Field of View.

FOV: Lots of people saying its 10 degrees less than the CV1. I wouldn't say it's that much, more like maybe a few degrees on each side less. Its really dependant on how you have the HMD on your face and if you use the lens button to push it in closer to your eyes.

Is it noticable? Maybe, if you constantly swap back and forth between a CV1 and a Rift-S you might notice it but the quality of what you CAN see within that field of view is so much better than it was with the CV1 I can't say that it bothers me much.

I know I just wrote a big review about all my issues but the headset is growing on me the more I wear it. I just flew the Take Off A-10C Persian Gulf quick mission and the city scape at that time of the morning with the sun rising is just breathtaking. I am going to play some more with some earbuds and see if that doesn't help because some immersion is lost by using my desktop speakers.

I will say one thing, this headset is really getting me more excited for the Valve Index... I tried to pre-order one but was told I was too late and put on a list.

Madmatt

Depends on your IPD, yours is 67mm which is why you're seeing a slight reduction but less then what I and others have experienced. I have a 70mm IPD and definitely guarantee that I lost at least 9-10° of FOV, it's what I got when I getto measured it (and yes I had the headset pressed in all the way).

EDIT : nvm my test, doesn't work. Sorry.

Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Arrived this morning..

Sure the sde is back (but barely noticeable) but the clarity is higher with lower pixel density (and more fps) i can have 80fps where before was never possible (but mostly 40 anyway).

The sound is not so bad like many say here...sure the cv1 or odyssey+ headset are better but the s one have their pros

Find it hard to believe that it's better than the odyssey in terms of resolution? On paper the Odyssey resolution is higher. What else made you come to that conclusion?

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Odyssey is MOLED with some thing on it to blur the screen door if I remember rightly. LED is basically more detail, less black so effectively clearer in this application.

Just saw this..

New 2019 Rift S comparison in DCS F/A-18C

Jump to 5:05 to skip unboxing and see him testing the CV1. Jump to 9:16 to get to Rift S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smTPpz-XDwg

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

Upper Camera

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know if the camera facing upward is required for head tracking, or is it just for tracking the hand controllers above your head. Essentially I need to know if its OK if its blocked by the HMS(Head Mounted Sensor) of PointCTRL.

Thanks,

Miles

HMSonRift.thumb.jpg.039a53508c832d375c475f82ec750f4c.jpg

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Find it hard to believe that it's better than the odyssey in terms of resolution? On paper the Odyssey resolution is higher. What else made you come to that conclusion?
Obviously the odyssey resolution is higher...but the overall clarity is better in the rift s (i didn't wrote that the res is higher.. but only that for me it is clearer).

.i can easily read the small text and numbers

...no more massive lean in and vr zoom to better read instruments..also the center ampcd in the hornet is easier to read...but there i use a mod that lets you put the screen in night mode without modifying the text (so to have better contrast).

All these demonstrate that screen technologies and optics are more important then resolution in VR

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know if the camera facing upward is required for head tracking, or is it just for tracking the hand controllers above your head. Essentially I need to know if its OK if its blocked by the HMS(Head Mounted Sensor) of PointCTRL.

Thanks,

Miles

Yes it is essential..

Both for headtracking and for controller movement.

Anyway tomorrow i can try if covering it degrades too much the head movement.

I'll let you know

Obviously the odyssey resolution is higher...but the overall clarity is better in the rift s (i didn't wrote that the res is higher.. but only that for me it is clearer).

.i can easily read the small text and numbers

...no more massive lean in and vr zoom to better read instruments..also the center ampcd in the hornet is easier to read...but there i use a mod that lets you put the screen in night mode without modifying the text (so to have better contrast).

All these demonstrate that screen technologies and optics are more important then resolution in VR

Yea I am just asking since I will be choosing between a new headset to replace my Odyssey. Either I go with rift S or I go with the HP Reverb. Seems like HP has been delayed to iron out issues.

If the performance on the reverb is similar without having to modify pixel density slider, then I will go with that.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Got mine today, very positively surprised.

Overall quality of the picture went from (CV1) "gimmicky crap" to "good enough". We are one gen away from VR being really good.

I can see myself spending more time in VR but TrackIR is not going anywhere.

I really like how comfortable and refined the design is comparing to CV1. Sound is not too bad for casual usage, I'd recommend plugging earbuds to be completely immersed.

I'd say if you are on the edge of upgrading from CV1, do it. It's worth it.

Now, I need more FOV and better optics, but Index should sort this out until next gen.

Arrived this morning..

The Rift S actually has a very decent sound driver, the problem is that darn audio strap they chose to go with. I am using Klipsch R6 II earbuds with mine, and the sound rocks quite nicely!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yea I am just asking since I will be choosing between a new headset to replace my Odyssey. Either I go with rift S or I go with the HP Reverb. Seems like HP has been delayed to iron out issues.

If the performance on the reverb is similar without having to modify pixel density slider, then I will go with that.

The Reverb certainly sounds great on paper, but I feel pretty confident in saying the performance will not be close to that of Rift S.

At least my opinion, we won't know for sure until they hit the streets.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Madmat

I am brand new to VR and just getting back in to DCS after years away.

My set up is almost identical to yours. Could you possibly post your settings so that I can attempt to match them?

I have been trying to follow forum threads and YouTube videos but some are old and relate to different versions.

Thanks

I guess you want my settings that I just switched over to which give me 80 FPS pretty consistently in VR, right?

Assuming so, here ya go. Please keep in mind that I haven't really experimented much to see which settings had the most impact. I pretty much just put everything down to a lower setting than I had been running in the past. Truthfully though, I couldn't really see much of a visual difference between these new lower settings and my maxed out settings from before. Game still looks amazing.

Madmatt

1835520955_DCSVRSettings.thumb.jpg.33a2859227cca809d7381d9b9fbe3508.jpg

Edited by Madmatt_BFC

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

My apologies worm but my S currently won't run DCS. First night ran like a charm' date=' now it will run anything beautifully except DCS. I get the boot as soon as the cymbals start playing. If I can figure it out, I will do the videos for you sir.[/quote']

Don't worry just take your time to fix your issues first, enjoy a little bit more and than when you find some time for this. thumbup.gif

I have all the time you need.

Whoops, I made a mistake with that screenshot. Change Terrain Textures to LOW, not High. Sorry about that.

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Spent again one hour with the S tonight and definitely, the more I use it, the more I love it.

My Rift CV1 will now get back to its box.

I'm now curious to see how the Index will work...

On paper, it looks like the main competitor of the Rift S and might be slightly better. Future will tell.

But the Reverb is probably a no go for demanding games like DCS. First, because the significantly higher resolution will have a performance cost. Then because the Rift S just prove that not only resolution matters. Display type and lens quality have a huge impact. Finally, Reverb is more business oriented, while Index is clearly made for gamers. Like Oculus, Valve guys know probably what they're doing.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

I really don't understand why the reviewers say that the visual improvement from cv1 is little. For me it's huge, the clarity it's unbelivable.... Sometimes seems they even don't test the product.... Or they test it only with beat saber.....

Inviato dal mio Mi MIX 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

I really don't understand why the reviewers say that the visual improvement from cv1 is little. For me it's huge, the clarity it's unbelivable.... Sometimes seems they even don't test the product.... Or they test it only with beat saber.....

I know lots of people who said the same for the odyssey. Lots of people are supposed to wear their glasses or contacts with the headsets but they don't. So things may look clearer or better but not by much. If I don't wear my contact lenses I don't see much of a difference between the Cv1 and Samsung odyssey either. Depends how good your eyesight is too :)

Yeah, the difference isn't at first glance that big in Oculus games like Beat Saber or Robo Recall.. until you put CV1 back on and compare "side to side".

|As I said in DCS it went from gimmick to useable.

If you're a reviewer you probably got to try quite a few headsets that look much better than the CV1, so the difference won't seem as huge.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

Yeah, the difference isn't at first glance that big in Oculus games like Beat Saber or Robo Recall.. until you put CV1 back on and compare "side to side".

|As I said in DCS it went from gimmick to useable.

I agree... S is really much much better than CV1 from an image quality point of view. And it's obvious if you put back your CV1 after an hour with the S. :)

Now for sure it's still not perfect, but good enough to fully enjoy DCS, which was not really the case with my CV1.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

Screw it, I cancelled the order on amazon - will be driving to Chicago tonight to pick it up in store tonight. I guess I'm getting way much hyped up for this :)

That's the spirit!!! ;):thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control