WMR DEBUG TOOL - cross eye alignment

BIGNEWY

• ED Team
31 minutes ago, AMVI_Boomer said:

@BIGNEWY tks for your answer and sorry for the late reply. I've tried without the debug tool and onestly I can survive without it, but if is possible to re-have for sure I'll be a plus for a situation like mine. Thanks angaing for the support!

I am discussing it with our team. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I seem to be having trouble getting the tool to reappear.

My autoexec.cfg file has force_cross_eye_recovery_tool = true and I've removed the config file for my G2.  Is there something I'm missing?

Edit:  This is interesting, @BIGNEWY.  I have two exes, one to launch in SteamVR and the other to launch native OpenXR.  I very rarely use SteamVR these days, so on a whim I tried it and lo and behold, the WMD alignment tool was there!

So I closed DCS and restarted using my OpenXR exe and the tool was missing.  I closed DCS again and restarted with SteamVR, aligned everything nicely, saved the settings and closed DCS.  Restarted using OpenXR and the alignment settings weren't transferred so there's obviously some alignment stuff being saved elsewhere.

Perhaps this is why a few people have reported that they can't access the tool?

Second edit:  I was able to access the tool with an OpenXR DCS session by reverting to OpenComposite.  So that's good.  However I have a vertical misalignment using OpenXR that I cannot fix using the available range of selection.  It's interesting because this misalignment does not happen with SteamVR.

Edited by Biggus
I did some science.

• ED Team

yes it seems the tool is not working with native openXR I am discussing it with the team however. 

thank you

• Like 3

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 10:26 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Good morning,
Thanks for your help.
On the other hand, how should it be done to redo an alignment.
I deleted the autoexe file that I reinstalled but I don't start from the beginning.
A trick to be able to access the settings table as at the beginning?
THANKS

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 12:17 AM, Wizard1393 said:

Tried the tool. Making it symmetric and then swapping up down made it better. But not 100%. Still have a weird feeling, but just not as bad.

How come DCS have a problem with "alignment" when other games do not? Why should I as a customer be having to fiddle with this? Please fix it ED.

Also, if anyone have managed to get a 100% feel good alignment for the G2, please post the settings file.

I don't think files are shareable.
I believe that all headsets have random factory disalignments. And that these are measured in quality control, and stored in the headset memory so that software can compensate.
If ever the software doesn't compensate properly (such as swapping two values, or sign error...), it's possible to have various alignment issues across software.
I have zero proof of this but this would be a plausible explanation.

2 hours ago, Kercheiz said:

I don't think files are shareable.
I believe that all headsets have random factory disalignments. And that these are measured in quality control, and stored in the headset memory so that software can compensate.
If ever the software doesn't compensate properly (such as swapping two values, or sign error...), it's possible to have various alignment issues across software.
I have zero proof of this but this would be a plausible explanation.

Yeah yeah I get all that. Whatever the reason, no other game has had this issue for me besides DCS. Anyway it's all moot now and working correctly without this tool, when it's run through OpenXR (ever since the OpenComposite came along, and now natively). So all in all, they DID in fact fix it in the end. 🙂

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

19 hours ago, Wizard1393 said:

Yeah yeah I get all that. Whatever the reason, no other game has had this issue for me besides DCS. Anyway it's all moot now and working correctly without this tool, when it's run through OpenXR (ever since the OpenComposite came along, and now natively). So all in all, they DID in fact fix it in the end. 🙂

You're lucky.  I'm still cockeyed in the game.  I really hope they make this tool work properly with OpenXR soon.

On 3/25/2023 at 10:03 AM, Biggus said:

You're lucky.  I'm still cockeyed in the game.  I really hope they make this tool work properly with OpenXR soon.

Ohhh, I was under the impression that this was no longer an issue for anyone with WMR and OpenXR. I stand corrected then I guess. 

• Like 1

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

• 3 weeks later...

I second (third? fourth? millionth?) the need for this tool and correction support in MT w/ native OpenXR.  I have substantial vertical alignment issues in DCS with my Reverb G2 which can be corrected using the debug tool under ST w/ OpenVR -> OpenCompsite-> WMR, but not with MT w/ native OpenXR.

Here's an example - with head completely level (recenter to be sure), hold one eye shut, then alternate to the other, rapidly back and forth.  Presumably there should be no vertical shift, but without the correction in place I see a significant vertical displacement (effectively introducing vertical heterophoria).  Without the correction in place VR is very uncomfortable, but as soon as I applied it in ST w/ OpenCompsite everything was so much improved.  Unfortunately the ST performance isn't as great.

Please please please @BIGNEWY convince who you can to bring back support for this in MT OpenXR!

• Like 4

En 16/4/2023 a las 11:49, potneros dijo:

I second (third? fourth? millionth?) the need for this tool and correction support in MT w/ native OpenXR.  I have substantial vertical alignment issues in DCS with my Reverb G2 which can be corrected using the debug tool under ST w/ OpenVR -> OpenCompsite-> WMR, but not with MT w/ native OpenXR.

Here's an example - with head completely level (recenter to be sure), hold one eye shut, then alternate to the other, rapidly back and forth.  Presumably there should be no vertical shift, but without the correction in place I see a significant vertical displacement (effectively introducing vertical heterophoria).  Without the correction in place VR is very uncomfortable, but as soon as I applied it in ST w/ OpenCompsite everything was so much improved.  Unfortunately the ST performance isn't as great.

Please please please @BIGNEWY convince who you can to bring back support for this in MT OpenXR!

@BIGNEWYI join the request, this should be a priority, it could affect vision, the eyes move trying to compensate for the bad alignment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 4:47 AM, RedX said:

Trying to solve the misaligned eyes -issue by using the debug tool provided gave rather good results but not perfect when simply copying the settings of one eye over to the other and saving the conf file.

I think that I found the solution / bug (?) at least in my case after trying to figure out what exactly to tune in order to make things truly match. Now I have minimal eye strain and practically no need to adjust the IPD setting in DCS VR options menu.

The best values I found by experimenting are reached simply by just resetting to defaults and swapping the top/bottom screen edge values for both eyes. After that the DCS display matches perfectly with the SteamVR and overlay displays. Note that the perfect matching requires for me that the forced IPD adjustment is clicked off in DCS VR options.

See attached screenshot. Note that this is for Valve Index.

Apparently the calibration values carried by the headset are reported with vertical limits in reversed order (or DCS reads them reversed). This might vary from headset model to another, as many people have no issues with misalignment. Alternatively, maybe only some of the headsets have sufficiently asymmetric calibration that it gets messed up noticeably. (I'm just speculating here.)

In case of remaining IPD mismatch, further tweaking may be possible by changing both DCS IPD setting and the screen edge values synchronously (or maybe not). Or perhaps something in steamvr. I did not pursue this further as I'm within 1mm of the DCS default IPD of 70mm.

My current good configuration was found and verified by turning on the steamvr boundary (i.e. chaperone) and setting the view centerpoint / seat position so that the chaperone seems to be sitting on some detailed feature of the cockpit. The chaperone can be forced on at: SteamVR menu - Developer - Debug Commands - collision_bounds_toggle. Now, if the configuration is correct, the chaperone lines crossing the cockpit dial remain accurately fixed on top of each other in any position, rotation or tilt of head while wearing the headset. Even a small miscalibration can be perceived by looking e.g. at a cockpit dial down and to the side and turning and tilting the head around as in some head orientations the relative positions of the cockpit dial and chaperone lines appear to be different from other head orientations or positions. When config is good, changing head orientation causes no shift in the apparent relative positions of cockpit dials and chaperone lines.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

Late note for anyone who found this post by googling etc. The short version is below:

All I'm doing nowadays is the following. First, I use the cross-eye tool (add the line in the above post to autoexec.cfg in Saved Games\DCS\Config), then click "SWAP TOP AND BTM" on both left and right, and then click to save the config file. Now DCS will not ask for it again.

Second, I've adjusted the IPD to match my eye distance in real life in SteamVR's settings in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.settings (default location).

Of course this second part does not work if you don't use SteamVR. In any case, the line to change is near bottom:

"ipdOffset" : -0.0064999999999999997,

The value is difference of your IPD to 63mm in units of meters. E.g., in my case my real IPD is 69.5mm which is 6.5mm = 0.0065m more than the default (63mm = 0.0063m) so I enter the figure -0.0065 (larger -> negative value) here. Someone with 61mm real life IPD would enter the number 0.002. Steam automatically rounds the value to some multiple of something, it does not matter (that's why so many figures "9" in there).

At least in my case everything matches after that and I can keep the custom IPD option in DCS options off.

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.1d21e3e0284bdcbbf900e6c31b1162f7.jpg

hello

one question Please

how do you activate the lines seen on your picture in order to calibrate the view?

also i dont know what is the menu behind the dcs screen? how do you activate it?

thanks

• 1 month later...

Is this still needed for the Varjo Aero ? I’m new to the Aero and on the latest software version. I’m not seeing cross eyed or any distortion that stands out with the Aero in DCS. Just seeing if any new Varjo Aero users have done this or needed too.

Thx !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

3 hours ago, Burt said:

Is this still needed for the Varjo Aero ? I’m new to the Aero and on the latest software version. I’m not seeing cross eyed or any distortion that stands out with the Aero in DCS. Just seeing if any new Varjo Aero users have done this or needed too.

Thx !

Not that I know of, can't recall mine ever needing it but have slept a lot since getting it so there is that lol.

• Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 5:43 AM, Biggus said:

Is there any news on how far off the tool is for OpenXR?  I can barely use my G2 at the moment with the cross-eye effect.

Seems like it's been a while, I'd love to get this tool back as well. The cross-eye is at times unplayable.

Edited by johnnychemo
  • Like 1

• ED Team

I will ask the team about it, but can make no promises. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team
Just now, speed-of-heat said:

@BIGNEWY any update on this ?

No news to share currently. Sorry

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Comrades, and how to run the debugger after saving again, I saved it, but nothing has changed, when re-logging in, the debugger window does not appear, I re-inserted the file into the config folder, deleted the shortcut, nothing helped...

<p>W11x64; Core ™ i9-12900KF CPU@5,40 Ghz; 8-и ядерный, ОП 64 Gb, RTX 4090, Viewsonic VX3211-4K 3840x2160, SSD M2 2Tb, TM Warthog РУС+РУД, ВКБ Педали, система водяного охлаждения Kraken Z73, Кресло от Game Stul, Блок питания Corsair RM1200W.

• 2 weeks later...
Il 12/8/2023 at 21:24, vladimir-bondarenko ha scritto:

Comrades, and how to run the debugger after saving again, I saved it, but nothing has changed, when re-logging in, the debugger window does not appear, I re-inserted the file into the config folder, deleted the shortcut, nothing helped...

Hi, the problem is that the tool doesn't work after the introduction of MT, we are all waiting a solution on it, but until now nothing happen. Still optimistic but is very unconfortable if you have (like me) cross eye aligment problem...

• Like 1

RX6900XT - 64GB RAM - 2T M2 - AMD 5 5600X - HP Reverb G2

В 21.08.2023 в 15:20, AMVI_Boomer сказал:

Привет, проблема в том, что инструмент не работает после внедрения MT, мы все ждем решения по нему, но до сих пор ничего не происходит. Все еще оптимистично, но очень неудобно, если у вас (как у меня) проблема с выравниванием по косоглазию...

Thanks, but I'm thinking why it doesn't work. Now it's clear🤝

• Like 1

<p>W11x64; Core ™ i9-12900KF CPU@5,40 Ghz; 8-и ядерный, ОП 64 Gb, RTX 4090, Viewsonic VX3211-4K 3840x2160, SSD M2 2Tb, TM Warthog РУС+РУД, ВКБ Педали, система водяного охлаждения Kraken Z73, Кресло от Game Stul, Блок питания Corsair RM1200W.