How difficult is this plane to learn ?

jfri

When it comes to learning to fly and fight in this plane how difficult is it compared to (two modules I have)

The Spitfire

The P51 Mustang

also consider quality of documentation and tutorials. Btw is the tutorials voiced ?

Easier than Spitfire in terms of flying. In terms of systems/engine management, also easier.

Easier in every part compared to the P-51 except everything that includes wheels having contact with ground. Someone fresh needs a bit of practise. But if you know how to handle the spitfire on ground, the 109 won't give you lots of troubles.

Bf-109's rudder is very small, so plane suffer rudder eficiency at low airspeed.

High power take off, taxing, and landing roll.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

The German WWII warbirds have a simpler engine management, vs the Allies. In either case, I love 'em all.

For flight, the 109 is great. As noted, regarding the rudder. On the takeoff roll you'll need to give her a bit of rudder until the speed pics up. Other than that, the 109 is my favorite DCS WWII bird. (Until "Whistling Death" comes out). :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

After physics changes of summer 2018 (lateral tyre grip) it's the most bitchy warbird to control during takeoff and landing roll, because of poor effectiveness of tailwheel lock and rudder. Makes the plane more demanding and challenging, though, and that can be considered a plus.

Yes, tutorials are voiced-over.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

From standpoint of Flying Quality how can the 109 easier to handle like Spitfire?

Requieres constant Input do the large Torque of the Engine, special in low Speed Handling have constant pitch up or down Movement do his aft Center of Gravity.

From Flying standpoint P-51 und Spitfire is much easier to Handle.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

From standpoint of Flying Quality how can the 109 easier to handle like Spitfire?

Requieres constant Input do the large Torque of the Engine, special in low Speed Handling have constant pitch up or down Movement do his aft Center of Gravity.

From Flying standpoint P-51 and Spitfire is much easier to Handle.

So I get contradictory answers to my question. Reason for my question is that I am somewhat concerned that I buy a plane I will not fly since it is to difficult.

The two planes I have mentioned I have this impression

P51 Mustang not trivial to fly but was still possible to learn. Some fighting difficult like bombs.

Spitfire clearly more difficult to fly than the P51. Many take off fails and I most landings.

A plane more difficult to fly than the Spitfire is off no interest for me.

So I get contradictory answers to my question. Reason for my question is that I am somewhat concerned that I buy a plane I will not fly since it is to difficult.

P51 Mustang not trivial to fly but was still possible to learn. Some fighting difficult like bombs.

Spitfire clearly more difficult to fly than the P51. Many take off fails and I most landings.

If that is a case stay away from bf109 and fw190 d9 you will have hard time doing t/o in those.

What kind of setup are you using, any rudder pedals ? those are very needed in ww2 planes.

But for me bf109 and fw190 are super easy planes now :)

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

If that is a case stay away from bf109 and fw190 d9 you will have hard time doing t/o in those.

What kind of setup are you using, any rudder pedals ? those are very needed in ww2 planes.

But for me bf109 and fw190 are super easy planes now :)

I have CH Rudder pedals and TM Hotas warthog joystick and throttle.

How can they be super easy for you if they are so difficult to fly ?

I have CH Rudder pedals and TM Hotas warthog joystick and throttle.

How can they be super easy for you if they are so difficult to fly ?

Hours of practice, i learned to 2 point land all war birds in DCS so far. Take offs are super easy even with strong crosswind. It took me many hours of practice .

So would

Fw 190 A-8

be a better and more easy choice ?

I find this plane much easier to handle during t/o and landing then fw190 D9

I must say, I find the 109 easy to fly, really easy. It does not depart like the Spitfire and P-51 if you pull hard. Fw-190 will depart just like the allied ones. So in the 109, you don't really need to worry about this.

Take-off is actually also easy. You can lock your tail wheel, which makes it already roll pretty straight by it's own. Of course when you apply power, that changes, but can be compensated really easily. I used to make hundreds of take offs with full power and only having a twist joystick, never really had problems. Same goes for now with rudder pedals.

The 190 is kind of identical. Wide spread gear minimize the risk of tipping over. It also has a tailwheel lock, which simplifies take-offs even further, compared to a Spitfire. Engine management is a bit "harder", since you got outlet cowlings that you need to control yourself. 109 is all automized in that part.

Fw-190 4G max lift 1,35 vs P-51 4,5G and lift 1,8 is the same

Would stay with Spitfire, from the Flying Qualitys have slowest Stall Speed no Aileron Stick Forces good Handling overall.

Appart from the Take Off Handling the Spit have overall the best Flying Qualitys.

The A8 the slowest Climb Speed of all WW2 Fighters, as beginner you have no Fun at all to Fight..

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

...A plane more difficult to fly than the Spitfire is off no interest for me.

The 109 is a bit challenging, and that makes it fun to fly. If you don't like this kind of challenge, better fly jets!

In my mind however, the only warbird that's difficult to handle is the I-16. And even so, I get a lot of fun from flying it.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

The 109 is a bit challenging, and that makes it fun to fly. If you don't like this kind of challenge, better fly jets!

In my mind however, the only warbird that's difficult to handle is the I-16. And even so, I get a lot of fun from flying it.

I-16 is hard on the ground, but super easy in air.

Easier engine management than allied, tougher ground handling but not that much when tamed. Good flight characteristics (better raw performance), but lacking some refinements compared to P-51. Overall tougher IMO but not that much, specially if you already have flown P-51 and Spit. Don't let a few people's opinions scare you, it's a good aircraft.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Easier engine management than allied, tougher ground handling but not that much when tamed. Good flight characteristics (better raw performance), but lacking some refinements compared to P-51. Overall tougher IMO but not that much, specially if you already have flown P-51 and Spit. Don't let a few people's opinions scare you, it's a good aircraft.

S!

I think I should clarify some things. I am prepared for and willing to accept that it can be difficult to some extent. But if I would need unreasonable time to learn it then it is a problem.

For example I have the UH 1H Huey and I got stuck on the basic task of just hoovering above the ground.

With the spitfire I think the main problem is that wheels are so close together that it is difficult to avoid the plane tipping at one side. Which makes take off and landing difficult.

And yes I think the 109 can be good. Voiced tutorials and I see it has a campaign.

S!

Easier engine management i can agree but ground handling no way :) P-51 is Sunday driving compare to bf 109 on ground.