Range of the LMAV?

DarkStar79

the range of the laser beam, which is about 10nm

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

What is the max range you can get with the LMAV when lasing yourself?

TL;DR:

The laser spot has to be on the target (i.e. within 8 Nm) at time of impact.

IIRC another limitation is battery life i.e. it used to self detonate after 60s of flight*.

* Checking "agm65_family.lua", Life_Time now equals 110 seconds

Detail:

The max. range of the TGP designating laser is approx. 8 Nm (15km)

If you are further away from the target, the laser "spot" floats in mid air at the end of a 8 Nm "beam".

Edited by Ramsay
Check .lua, AGM-65 Life_Time now equals 110 seconds

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Ok so I guess its LMAV is superior to the IR MAVS then. Is there any point in using the IR MAVS when using TGP?

Well, in DCS I get unlimited supply of Mavs so I can load up 4 IR MAVs and fire them off at 4 targets fairly quick in one pass... with the help of Tpod. It's a bit more hassle without it but it'd doable.

With LMAVs you would need some outside help

Ok so I guess its LMAV is superior to the IR MAVS then. Is there any point in using the IR MAVS when using TGP?

The IR mav is a fire and forget weapon. you can fire them off in succession against various seperate targets, and break off. The missile guides itself.

In turn the Lmav requires you to keep TGP on a target and continually lase it until impact. since there is no auto lasing yet this means extra effort on the pilot keeping the finger on the trigger, accidentlally slip up whilst maneuvering or for some reason or another and thats a wasted maverick

Thus the Lmav isn't superior, but a side grade a different method of employment. Both IR and Lmav have thier uses depending on needs and situation.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

The IR mav is a fire and forget weapon. you can fire them off in succession against various seperate targets, and break off. The missile guides itself.

In turn the Lmav requires you to keep TGP on a target and continually lase it until impact. since there is no auto lasing yet this means extra effort on the pilot keeping the finger on the trigger, accidentlally slip up whilst maneuvering or for some reason or another and thats a wasted maverick

Thus the Lmav isn't superior, but a side grade a different method of employment. Both IR and Lmav have thier uses depending on needs and situation.

Doesn't Latch work? That leaves the laser on once you trigger it. (Or was that the Warthog?)

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Yes if you are dexterous you can launch 4 IR mavs on 4 different targets within 5-10 seconds and then crank off target. You can only guide one Lmav at a time and need to egress within specific parameters to keep the target within gimbal limits while at the same time evading.

IR is great for quick strikes on groups of armored targets while LMAV is perfect for pinpoint strikes on specific targets.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

-

You don't say?

TRIG /=/ autolase. Even wag's said as much in his tutorial videos for the time being the option you have for the hornet is to manually lase target via trigger pull and holding it down. Auto lasing has yet to be implemented.

This has been discussed before on the forums

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4007115&postcount=7

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4007115#post4007115

Even so that still wouldn't make the LMAV an outright superior option to IR mavs, based on the prior responses for reasons already discussed.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

ED still has to work out few kinks with IR MAV's slaved to Tpod.

In some tests I did, I had the Hornet's nose pointing at the column of 4 tanks from 12k ft. and within 15nm (flying very slow). I could lock any of the tanks with Tpod quickly and pressing TDC to designate worked fine but the Mavs (previously uncaged) were a little "jumpy". 1 or 2 Mavs would slave to Tpod's designated target, 3 and 4 would not be persuaded that easy. Perhaps there are some other factors involved that I'm not aware of.

Perhaps it will work better once they implement boresighting of the TGP to the Maverick pylons.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

You don't say?

TRIG /=/ autolase. Even wag's said as much in his tutorial videos for the time being the option you have for the hornet is to manually lase target via trigger pull and holding it down. Auto lasing has yet to be implemented.

It was long time ago updated that you squeeze the trigger once and it starts lazing. No requirement to hold it down.

What comes to autolase is completely different thing as then your laser would start firing when you release the bomb, without you squeezing trigger.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

You don't say?

Autolase doesn't make any sense in case of using laser mavs, as you have to lase the target all the time. Holding the trigger is not necessary if "TRIG" is enabled.

i5-9600K / RTX 2060 / 32 GB DDR4-3200 CL16 / Win10 x64 / Cobra M5 (BRD)+ Gametrix ECS / Opentrack