?Unintended behaviour - VR MSAA Mask Size does not improve performance - 2.5.6

Aarnoman

DCS can use either or, not just Oculus. Yes I use SteamVR with an Oculus headset playing DCS.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I might be wrong but i think it is masking Anisotropic filtering?

Nope, it’s masking Antialiasing, at least according to ED’s notes.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Can someone please check the following to confirm it's not just me:

If I run MSAA OFF I get around a 15 - 25% drop in GPU util (i.e. a considerable performance improvement) compared with MSAA x 2 but I get the usual awful aliasing artifacts.

If I run MSAA x 2 BUT set ["msaaMaskSize"] = 0 in the options.lua, I get no AA whatsoever (i.e. it looks just as awful), but get very little or no performance improvement compared to running at MSAA x 2. Certainly nowhere near 20%.

Conclusion: the masking option is doing something, but is not providing the expected improvement in performance.

I realise that I posted earlier pointing out an improvement, but it was very small. So, I entirely agree with the OP, and would suggest that this needs to be looked into (urgently).

2.5.6.50321_20200607_04.thumb.png.b9f9ab41ff83400ffbada9b4a12eb8ec.png

Edited by Hippo
% drop numbers corrected after retest. Image added.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Yeah... seems like it's working opposite of what it should. Instead of creating a mask size that prevents AA outside of it...

It's AAing everything, then using the mask to delete the outside part of the AAing... Or something to that effect.

I haven't tested it myself... Just haven't had the time to sit down and figure it all out and set it correctly based on my system and needs... but...

You gotta wonder where the communication breakdown happened.

Like... Was there a project director/producer that just didn't tell the programmer that the ultimate goal was performance? Or... When the programmer was building all of this... Were they wondering "What's the point? Why are we doing this? There's no performance benefit and it only removes area that looks nicer..."

Super odd :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Yeah I can confirm after testing this yesterday that it does technically work, but definitely has no performance impact whatsoever.

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Come on ED, can we have some sort of acknowledgment here!

Considering

• That this is a new very visible feature that has appeared in the options
  • The considerable fps increase it should provide

I find the fact that there has been no acknowledgement of this post from ED extremely disappointing.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

It's just for potentially faster AA but many users have disabled AA because the performance in VR is generally awful. It's the problem of a complex sim running on one core with no VR hardware acceleration coupled with an antiquated DX11.

The object culling feature ED are working on could be promising but the question is how long it will take to arrive.

Yes, allows for better solutions when streaming to Twitch while in VR.

Hey there!

Don't know if you know that but keep an eye on the resolution settings within steamvr. I don't use steamvr anymore because of the faulty and wrong settings in resolution especially for Rift S and CV1. The resolution is set way to high on 100%. And I always wondered why I am getting that bad of a performance. Well with a PD of 1.5 (would translate into the 100% resolution settings of steamvr for my Rift S) no wonder I am watching a snail race :lol:

Cheers

Hey there!

Don't know if you know that but keep an eye on the resolution settings within steamvr. I don't use steamvr anymore because of the faulty and wrong settings in resolution especially for Rift S and CV1. The resolution is set way to high on 100%. And I always wondered why I am getting that bad of a performance. Well with a PD of 1.5 (would translate into the 100% resolution settings of steamvr for my Rift S) no wonder I am watching a snail race :lol:

Cheers

Thanks I'll keep a look out for any issues.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I have literally spent thousand of hours and decades chasing every "enter magic tweak here" trying to obtain that elusive performance + visuals. Looking back 99% were placebo or were long confusing ways to simply turn things off giving one the illusion of a increase w/o knowing they could have simple turned off a setting or scale down one.

Time and tech are what has given us DCS and time and new tech is what will give us a better running/looking DCS.

Some love diving into the weeds and running more test than a preflight SpaceX flight to squeeze out that 2 frames. I thankfully pass on the torch and will wait with patience with DCS warts and all.

I have literally spent thousand of hours and decades chasing every "enter magic tweak here" trying to obtain that elusive performance + visuals. Looking back 99% were placebo or were long confusing ways to simply turn things off giving one the illusion of a increase w/o knowing they could have simple turned off a setting or scale down one.

Time and tech are what has given us DCS and time and new tech is what will give us a better running/looking DCS.

Some love diving into the weeds and running more test than a preflight SpaceX flight to squeeze out that 2 frames. I thankfully pass on the torch and will wait with patience with DCS warts and all.

Thank you for that pearl of wisdom. I am, however, unsure as to how it relates to this thread. It is not a tweak being discussed, it is an option in the game settings recently added by the developer. If users are finding that it doesn't work as expected, then it seems perfectly reasonable to raise it.

And still no response or acknowledgement from ED...

Edited by Hippo

• 1 month later...

A much more efficient method would be support for Variable Rate Shading for supersampling in DCS. This MSAA mask feature is kinda neat, but would have much more potential in combination with VRSS.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

It would surely have more potential if they masked the right end of the pipeline...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• 2 months later...

The first report was in May, and now we are in October. Has there really been no progress on this issue yet? Was it at least acknowledged by ED somewhere, and I just missed it?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

• 3 months later...

I I found no profit here. I just leave the VR MSAA mask at 1 with DCS AA at x2 and find my gains else where.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.