WMR Steam VR FUBARED!!!

71st_Mastiff

Hi guys, I was about to post a question about a recent VR issue with my HP Reverb G2 - and then I saw this thread and wondered if this is also my issue.   Very recently, I noticed my VR experience in game has been jittery and the cockpit just floats around and then snaps back and floats and snaps back.  I'm also getting computer freezes in game where DCS just freezes and I have to reboot it to get out.  The jittery/floating effect is happening most all the time but mostly when I'm sitting on the ground and look down into the cockpit.  I'm wondering if I need to change some settings post in nvidia or Steam VR post 2.7.  I've tired all sorts of lighting combos to rule the head tracking issue, but it worked fine before in the same room with the same lighting.  And that wouldn't account for the sudden slew of crashes and freezes.

Now after having read about the Steam VR issue above ^^, is this also how the Steam issue is manifesting?  Or do I have something unrelated?  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I have had similar issues with my G2 since 2.7.  I believe this is due to issues inside DCS, as I do not have any tracking or jittery problems in Aces High, AirCar, or BeatSaber.  I did not have any tracking problems with DCS 2.5.  If you are questioning your hardware I would suggest trying another program that is optimized for VR.  AirCar, for instance, is available free from Steam.  It is a "VR experience" and not a game.  Good for troubleshooting your VR hardware.

The SteamVR issue is causing a "critical error starting SteamVR" message when trying to start DCS.  For me I found that I had the basic version of SteamVR and the beta version of SteamWMR.  Opting out of the SteamWMR beta and going back to the basic version fixed this problem.

Edited by Tshark

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

53 minutes ago, Tshark said:

I have had similar issues with my G2 since 2.7.  I believe this is due to issues inside DCS, as I do not have any tracking or jittery problems in Aces High, AirCar, or BeatSaber.  I did not have any tracking problems with DCS 2.5.  If you are questioning your hardware I would suggest trying another program that is optimized for VR.  AirCar, for instance, is available free from Steam.  It is a "VR experience" and not a game.  Good for troubleshooting your VR hardware.

The SteamVR issue is causing a "critical error starting SteamVR" message when trying to start DCS.  For me I found that I had the basic version of SteamVR and the beta version of SteamWMR.  Opting out of the SteamWMR beta and going back to the basic version fixed this problem.

Yeah same here, I had to disable the beta of WMR for Steam VR to get it back to working.

Hoping WMR gets this resolved before pushing it to release version.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

15 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah same here, I had to disable the beta of WMR for Steam VR to get it back to working.

Hoping WMR gets this resolved before pushing it to release version.

Just happened to me last night with the G2 had to play 2d. Never had any issues with vr. So the fix is to opt out of wmr beta? Will try this evening. Damn if it ain’t one thing it’s another these last few weeks with 2.7 crashing and now steamvr/wmr... I have to much $$$$.$$ invested in DCS and VR.

Thanks for the advice and hopefully temporary fix.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

i havent tested this extensively, but, the latest Windows Update round "may" have fixed it for me... the problem was i only had a couple of crashes, an i just rolled back the WMR beta and it went away, work has been busy so i havent had a chance to do a big play, but i ran DCS in a the background yesterday with the beta on without problems YMMV... etc

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Rolled back the WMR beta? Sorry but does that mean you rolled back to the regular WMR? Keep steamvr beta as is.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

46 minutes ago, Burt said:

Just happened to me last night with the G2 had to play 2d. Never had any issues with vr. So the fix is to opt out of wmr beta? Will try this evening. Damn if it ain’t one thing it’s another these last few weeks with 2.7 crashing and now steamvr/wmr... I have to much $$$$.$$ invested in DCS and VR.

Thanks for the advice and hopefully temporary fix.

Yep that should fix you up at least for now.

• Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

19 hours ago, Notso said:

For the non tech savvy - how do you do this clean and repair??

Follow this link, it will give you step by step instructions. 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/709/

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

1 hour ago, Burt said:

Rolled back the WMR beta? Sorry but does that mean you rolled back to the regular WMR? 

yes via the steam UI, i removed myself from the beta just for WMR 

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

rgr thanks. 

Start Date April 2020 

Has anyone else been able to get this working?  I've been able to use the latest beta with my G2, and I feel like I am getting good performance.  I uninstalled WMR, updated to the latest windows 10 preview, then reinstalled the latest WMR and the SteamVR for WMR beta that everyone is having issues with.

I wonder if the difference is that I disable all motion smoothing both in the WMR settings and the steam per game settings.

It may be placebo (I don't think that it is) but I set the steamVR fov to 70% and I feel like I am getting a sharper image with less aliasing and without a frame time hit.  People could use this as a performance tool as well because you could lower you super sample resolution now that you aren't wasting all of those pixels on parts of the image that you can't see.  I'm pretty sure it's not placebo because I set it to 50% and was seeing black lines where my vision converges at my nose which is why I raised it to 70%.

20 minutes ago, captainHelmet said:

Has anyone else been able to get this working?  I've been able to use the latest beta with my G2, and I feel like I am getting good performance.  I uninstalled WMR, updated to the latest windows 10 preview, then reinstalled the latest WMR and the SteamVR for WMR beta that everyone is having issues with.

I wonder if the difference is that I disable all motion smoothing both in the WMR settings and the steam per game settings.

It may be placebo (I don't think that it is) but I set the steamVR fov to 70% and I feel like I am getting a sharper image with less aliasing and without a frame time hit.  People could use this as a performance tool as well because you could lower you super sample resolution now that you aren't wasting all of those pixels on parts of the image that you can't see.  I'm pretty sure it's not placebo because I set it to 50% and was seeing black lines where my vision converges at my nose which is why I raised it to 70%.

I dont know what you are trying to say ... 

• ED Team

Steamvr Beta here also not seeing any issues. 

make sure you go to the microsoft store also and download wmr updates.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

9 minutes ago, captainHelmet said:

Perhaps I should have said: "Am I the only one who can get this to work?"  I'm using the wmr beta, getting good performance, and making use of the new fov slider.

are you saying no issue, after you've installed the Win10 2021-05 cumulative update (KB5003173)?  which came out on May 11th, and you're now using wmr beta just fine?  I've not tested wmr beta on KB5003173 as of yet. 

The prior Win10 version I had, and the latest wmr beta, I had issues with wmr.  Until I backed out of the beta and went with wmr production

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

23 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Steamvr Beta here also not seeing any issues. 

make sure you go to the microsoft store also and download wmr updates.

Hola BN,

the issues appears to be with the latest WMR Beta.  I'm able to run SteamVR beta with the latest production version of WMR.  No issue.  It's just when going with the latest SteamVR beta and WMR beta, things go south.

I've no complaints since pairing Steam VR beta with WMR production.  My Jug and K-4 are just rock'n  🙂

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

25 minutes ago, javelina1 said:

are you saying no issue, after you've installed the Win10 2021-05 cumulative update (KB5003173)?  which came out on May 11th, and you're now using wmr beta just fine?  I've not tested wmr beta on KB5003173 as of yet. 

The prior Win10 version I had, and the latest wmr beta, I had issues with wmr.  Until I backed out of the beta and went with wmr production

I manually updated on the 10th, but I believe what I installed was a preview version of that build.

3 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

yes via the steam UI, i removed myself from the beta just for WMR 

Yep same thing I did.

38 minutes ago, javelina1 said:

Hmm I got that update this morning, may have to try the beta of WMR for Steam VR again.

Don B

• ED Team

Just installed windows mixed reality for steam beta and not seeing any issues so far. Will keep trying.

Its important to make sure windows has all the latest updates, and you have used the microsoft store to download WMR updates also. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hey BN, I only got the problem very rarely, and only prior to the  Windows update this week, I haven’t had a chance to really re test this week.

I got the windows update yesterday and figured I would go ahead and try the wmr beta as is and did not perform good at all, a lot of flickering and stutters and finally the steamvr encounter error. So I restarted everything and opted out of wmr beta then started the same mission and everything seemed to perform better but got the second mission crash. After that flew for 2 hours with no issues. 

Start Date April 2020 

So many different updates these days throwing everything outta whack

Start Date April 2020 

On 5/13/2021 at 7:34 PM, javelina1 said:

Hola BN,

the issues appears to be with the latest WMR Beta.  I'm able to run SteamVR beta with the latest production version of WMR.  No issue.  It's just when going with the latest SteamVR beta and WMR beta, things go south.

I've no complaints since pairing Steam VR beta with WMR production.  My Jug and K-4 are just rock'n  🙂

I opted out of beta for WMR for SteamVR and so far no crashes. Thanks!

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

3 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

I opted out of beta for WMR for SteamVR and so far no crashes. Thanks!

Yep same here, been playing DCS all day not a single crash. I do run the beta of Steam VR, just not the beta of WMR for Steam VR.

No problems. I sure hope they resolve this before they move the beta of WMR into release version.

Don B

I followed the advice in this thread and the other one that @speed-of-heat suggested.  I opted out of all the betas and reloaded both WMR and WMR for Steam.  I haven't played a mission extensively since, but have had no crashes so far. 

However, my performance has dropped significantly.  I'm still getting stutters and lower FPS rates when in the past I was running super smooth frame rates.

Can anyone point me to a link with all the new recommended settings for VR in all the various areas of adjustment?  I don't keep up with all the GUI changes religiously due to work time commitments - so am not sure what needs to be changed as new SW versions come out.  But a rundown of all the NVIDIA, Steam VR, WMR and DCS recommended settings would be most highly appreciated.  I feel like I'm chasing my tail here and have have been at this for hours this morning trying to experiment with various settings.  I'm just very confused as to all the different new options now in both DCS settings and Steam VR settings, Super sampling on/off, legacy reprojection mode on/off, etc.  Are there any Betas that I should enable?  And so on.....  HELP PLEASE!!! 

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB