NEW: Hook Physics?

CoBlue

DCS: F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations  06-16-2021

• NEW: Hook Physics

• Added physics based hook model.

• Hook will skip now if landing too fast.

• Hook will shear off when arresting with excess kinetic energy.

• Hook no longer clips through ground. (Spectators and RIO may notice some clipping due to network lag.)

• Added collision shell to hook. 

• Hook can now be damaged by gunfire or explosions and detach from the aircraft.

• Added spark effects and hook break sounds.

Hey HB & thank you for the new patch & especially the work on the new Hook Physics!

However. I did allot of Case1 test traps today & didn't experience any hook-skips when fast/slow. The only new thing was the "burble" (good job btw.!) but the trap-physics was the same as before the patch. I could be slow/fast & no hook-skips.

So I deliberately did 6 very fast traps with AOA ≈+5-9 & I trapped every time? Can you look into this or is it still WIP?

As you can see I'm way to fast, the "E" bracket is on the top of the Hud & AOA +8 units, way below the required +15 units.

Screen_210618_003223.jpg

Screen_210618_003232.jpg

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Keep in mind there is no scripting to this. You may have just gotten lucky.

If your hook will intersect with a wire (within reasonable limits); you will still trap. So even if you slam your hook on the deck and it bounces; it may simple have dropped enough to catch another wire. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

21 minutes ago, Cobra847 said:

Keep in mind there is no scripting to this. You may have just gotten lucky.

If your hook will intersect with a wire (within reasonable limits); you will still trap. So even if you slam your hook on the deck and it bounces; it may simple have dropped enough to catch another wire. 

Which, if you think about it, is some really great logics, programming, and physics!

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

What @Cobra847 said and additionally:

it is not only speed, but also AOA and vertical velocity. So if you come in fast but shallow, it is possible you will just drag it into the wires. The same is if you make it skip further astern, as it will have more time to come back down and catch a wire. 

It isn't that easy to get it to skip. If you want to test, whether the physics are working for you at all, try ripping it off.

I won't tell you the moment it breaks (because it takes the fun away) but for testing purposes I will tell you that if you trap with 185 kts fully laden (breaking point is far below this speed)
, you will sheer off your hook.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I was pulling my hair out when I tried it the first time after the update, I shit you not, I couldn't trap for 12 times in a row! Provided I was pretty rusty. 

After a few more tires i got my skills back, but I can definitely see a difference now compared to when you could just fly in at whatever AoA/Speed/glide-path and it would trap.

Edited by bkthunder

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

On 6/18/2021 at 10:10 AM, IronMike said:

What @Cobra847 said and additionally:

it is not only speed, but also AOA and vertical velocity. So if you come in fast but shallow, it is possible you will just drag it into the wires. The same is if you make it skip further astern, as it will have more time to come back down and catch a wire. 

It isn't that easy to get it to skip. If you want to test, whether the physics are working for you at all, try ripping it off.

I won't tell you the moment it breaks (because it takes the fun away) but for testing purposes I will tell you that if you trap with 185 kts fully laden (breaking point is far below this speed)
, you will sheer off your hook.

If you land overweight will it rip off?

1 hour ago, Love_Beam said:

If you land overweight will it rip off?

Yes, the hook shearing off is a function of the kinetic energy (a function of mass and velocity) being absorbed by the hook from the arresting gear. If you trap heavy and fast, there's a decent chance you shear the hook off. Remember that at higher speeds/lower AOAs the hook is less likely to grab a wire.

Here's a hook break happening in real life:

This was most likely a break due to fatigue, a maintenance issue, or a problem with the arresting gear since an approach too far out of parameters would've been waived off before the plane reached the wires.

Edited by fat creason

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

I would try carrier landing in adverse conditions, high winds and choppy seas, causing the ship to rock. It may be much easier to cause a bad hook skip vs the old model where you would always catch a wire in those conditions if you land among the wires. 

@CoBlue

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

Fat Creason, that tailhook broke off due to age and corrosion in an area that was not typically inspected by maintenance. VF-211 lost that jet only about a month after VF-143 lost a plane on launch due to the nose gear shearing off for the same reason. Both incidents led to the grounding of F-14s fleet wide for a safety stand down and inspections. I recall in an interview one aviator commented that he'd been told in training that these two parts on the jet that would never fail and here they had both failed in the course of a month. It was a telling sign of how old the Tomcats had become.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

2 hours ago, Swordsman422 said:

Fat Creason, that tailhook broke off due to age and corrosion in an area that was not typically inspected by maintenance. VF-211 lost that jet only about a month after VF-143 lost a plane on launch due to the nose gear shearing off for the same reason. Both incidents led to the grounding of F-14s fleet wide for a safety stand down and inspections. I recall in an interview one aviator commented that he'd been told in training that these two parts on the jet that would never fail and here they had both failed in the course of a month. It was a telling sign of how old the Tomcats had become.

Great info, thanks!

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

A VF41 F14A broke a nose strut where the launch bar attached in 1986-87 timeframe. We were at sea and there was no way to inspect (NDI) the struts on the F14 fleet. Therefore, the stand down lasted about 12 hours, and we were declared “launch-worthy” again, and operations continued unabated.

The mishap aircraft (flown by a USAF exchange pilot) would have been around seven to ten years old, IIRC.

• Like 5

Viewpoints are my own.

21 hours ago, Victory205 said:

A VF41 F14A broke a nose strut where the launch bar attached in 1986-87 timeframe. We were at sea and there was no way to inspect (NDI) the struts on the F14 fleet. Therefore, the stand down lasted about 12 hours, and we were declared “launch-worthy” again, and operations continued unabated.

The mishap aircraft (flown by a USAF exchange pilot) would have been around seven to ten years old, IIRC.

Are you sure the plane wasn't just committing seppuku after being touched by an Air Force guy?

What was the ultimate cause of this mishap? Same corrosion as the VF-143 loss?

• Like 1

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

On 6/22/2021 at 10:57 AM, Victory205 said:

I was on the deck for that one. He said thankfully he felt something unusual at the end of the cat stroke that caused him to not put the gear up, because chances are it not only wouldn’t have come back down, but the flailing bungees would have torn up god knows what in the nose wheel well. 

Edited by Spiceman
  • Like 1

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

On 6/22/2021 at 7:56 AM, Swordsman422 said:

Fat Creason, that tailhook broke off due to age and corrosion in an area that was not typically inspected by maintenance. 

Yea I thought there was a sheer point on the Shoe of the hook just so that that pops off before it rips off a big hunk of the hook mechanism. 

burn off all fuel, drop all munitions, line up with carrier centerline, come in on speed but steep and way above glideslope, (1500+fpm descent) and hope the pancake of a landing only breaks the gear and doesn't explode the jet.

Alternatively, overfly the deck and low alt and punch out and see if the deck physics is working to catch you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/25/2021 at 3:16 PM, WelshZeCorgi said:

My question is, how do you trap a hookless Tomcat?

using the barrier obviously, but that's not modelled currently in the DCS SC.

By mere curiosity I've been experimenting this... and it seems VERY difficult without destroying the aircraft.

The logic (common sense) solution, would be the barricade net which will eventually be available for the Supercarrier.

- rows of static objects on deck, like tires with flags, cows and even the flight deck tractors, seem to have little or no effect in stopping the Tomcat;

(the cows do die, but the deck tractors seem to be ignored collision wise...)

- on the other hand, wodden logs, "small" concrete barriers and even a canvas tent, will make the Tomcat explode when the nose gear collide with them !

- the main gears seem to be prone to get ripped, hindering that way the aircraft's motion; but a nose gear collision seems to cause fatal explosion.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Well, just for curiosity sake, after some experimenting:

In-game it is possible to "trap" a hookless Tomcat... without it exploding or get severelly damaged.

(Although in reality my experiment conditions would mean serious damage to the airframe / aircraft.)

... coming in very light, very slow, pulling the brakes right on touch-down, and finally colliding with hard static "cargo" objects at roughly 30 kts speed, on the very bow of the ship.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

10 hours ago, Top Jockey said:

coming in very light, very slow, pulling the brakes right on touch-down, and finally colliding with hard static

...or just set up high WOD in the mission 🙂

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

5 hours ago, draconus said:

...or just set up high WOD in the mission 🙂

Hello,

High WOD ? What is that ?

edit

wind over deck ?

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

• 1 month later...

So I've been seeing posts that people have been trying to break the hook off just to see if it happen and it wasn't happening for them.  I kinda stopped looking for reports of this after a while.

Then, last night my pilot who was rusty landed fast on the boat.  We boltered but we heard some noise that seemed new.  I thought it was us ramp striking, but didn't think that much of it until our LSO called, "uh, confirm your hook is down."  WE both looked at the hook lever and confirmed it was down.  But then he said we had no hook!  Haha that was what the noise was!

External view showed it clearly, and you can hear it in the video at 29:17

It was pretty funny!

v6,

boNes

Screen_211220_212004.png

• Like 3

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

1 hour ago, bonesvf103 said:

So I've been seeing posts that people have been trying to break the hook off just to see if it happen and it wasn't happening for them.  I kinda stopped looking for reports of this after a while.

Then, last night my pilot who was rusty landed fast on the boat.  We boltered but we heard some noise that seemed new.  I thought it was us ramp striking, but didn't think that much of it until our LSO called, "uh, confirm your hook is down."  WE both looked at the hook lever and confirmed it was down.  But then he said we had no hook!  Haha that was what the noise was!

External view showed it clearly, and you can hear it in the video at 29:17

It was pretty funny!

v6,

boNes

Screen_211220_212004.png

It's also exacerbated by weight (as pointed out by FC back in June).  We recently had someone lose their tailhook and I asked what their configuration was (we had externals shut off).  They were still packing 5 of their 6 AIM-54s and had a good quantity of fuel left.  If memory serves they were close to 8000lbs above max trap.  I just took a look at your configuration during that landing attempt.  If DCS does consider the weights of the pylons, you guys were more than 3000lbs above max trap when the hook broke given your fuel state, remaining missiles, and all attached pylons and stores, which probably didn't help.

Suffice to say, yes, the hook still breaks off!

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

Good points.  I believe we were state 8.5 when we trapped at that time.  We only had 2 Phoenix left, all other missiles had been shot off (we got 4 kills on the hop).  Also we were still carrying our empty fuel tanks.

He was approaching fast too.  155 KIAS or so.  He'd been away for 2 weeks or so so he was REALLY rusty, and sloppy in the pattern but we were the only ones in the pattern so that was sorta forgivable.  At least our human LSO thought so, haha.

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I broke my first hook. The thing is I was quite light, just two sidewinders left and emergency fuel, 2000lbs or so. CASEIII in a no horizont night. I though I touched down on speed. I checked tacview afterwards, 133kts and 10,1 alfa. The guy before me trapped way too fast, 145kts and 7 alfa, and with phoenix still on board, nothing happened to his hook. So there I was, no hook in the darkest night an no divert😅

While I’m happy with a degree of randomness so things do not always break at the exactly same parameters, on speed hook breaking is not fun as long as we don’t have barrier 😁 After I saw my buddy landing at 145kts and keeping his hook while I lost it I wished I had crashed on him after ejecting.