Feedback Thread - F14 Patch 17th Sept 2021

IronMike

This might seem like a dumb question, but was high altitude drag modified in this patch?

I was able to get up above Mach 2 at 45k in the F-14B yesterday, and I've routinely had issues sustaining Mach 1.4 before, so I'm wondering if the flight model tweaks that were discussed somewhere a while ago around high altitude drag/speed made it into this patch.

Edited by Hextopia
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 8:02 PM, Naquaii said:

They are described under http://heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#computer-address-panel-cap. The key descriptions under numeric keypad corresponds to the readouts. I might later on add a prefix list as well to make it clearer.

Hi Naquaii.

It will be appreciatted a clear explanation of the Readouts

I got the following readouts:

• RA. Range (nm)

• AL. Altitude (ft)

• GS. Ground Speed (Knots)

• BR. Magnetic Bearing

• MC. Magnetic Course?

• MH. Magnetic Heading?

• HD. Target Heading?

• LT. Aspect Angle (Left)

• RT. Aspect Angle (Right)

• AS. ??

9 hours ago, Nazgul 1-2 -Kjell- said:

Is it normal that a TCS-STT can no longer lead an Aim-7 and Aim-54, but is only active at launch in the case of the Phoenix? [You meant it is not yet implemented but it was still possible all the time before the update...] [Since F14 Patch 17th Sept 2021]

I'm sorry if I ask so stupid, but I'm unsure what is going on now because it went without problems before and now suddenly no more...

Depends on exactly what you're doing and what you're trying to do. If by TCS-STT you mean that you have the radar slaved to the TCS and have a TCS track then the missile will launch active and it will launch in the direction of the track and then not be guided further by own aircraft.

The missing functionality here is that you should also be able to have a PD-SLAVED STT in which case you have a TCS lock but also a PD rate lock which will allow for a normal SARH launch of the AIM-54. This has never been working as we haven't implemented it yet.

As for the AIM-7 you can launch it at the TCS track as long as you have the radar slaved to the TCS and transmitting, all that will be missing in this case is lofting as it has no range. When we eventually add the locked STT slaved modes this should be possible for the AIM-7MH.

In the case you don't have the radar slaved to TCS the TCS will never matter for these missiles and all the normal launch types apply as normal.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ce_Zeta said:

Hi Naquaii.

It will be appreciatted a clear explanation of the Readouts

I got the following readouts:

• RA. Range (nm)

• AL. Altitude (ft)

• GS. Ground Speed (Knots)

• BR. Magnetic Bearing

• MC. Magnetic Course?

• MH. Magnetic Heading?

• HD. Target Heading?

• LT. Aspect Angle (Left)

• RT. Aspect Angle (Right)

• AS. ??

RA - Range from own aircraft to hooked symbol.

AL - Altitude of hooked symbol.

GS - Ground speed of hooked symbol.

BR - Bearing to hooked symbol. (Not magnetic)

MC - Magnetic Course.

MH - Magnetic Heading.

HD - True heading of hooked symbol.

LT/RT - Aspect hooked symbol is showing own aircaft.

AS - True airspeed.

• Thanks 2

This is a first for me, can't pass IntegrityCheck in multiplayer, failed files are:

mods/aircraft/f14/cockpit/scripts/jesterai/init.lua
mods/aircraft/f14/cockpit/scripts/jesterai/jesterai_page.lua

After running DCS repair I was able to get into a server, I then left and tried to come back in and got IntegrityCheck fail again. At that point I uninstalled the F14 module and reinstalled. Again I was able to get into a multiplayer server, but upon leaving and trying to come back in, I get the check fail again. Any idea what's going on here?

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

1 hour ago, Hector45 said:

This is a first for me, can't pass IntegrityCheck in multiplayer, failed files are:

mods/aircraft/f14/cockpit/scripts/jesterai/init.lua
mods/aircraft/f14/cockpit/scripts/jesterai/jesterai_page.lua

After running DCS repair I was able to get into a server, I then left and tried to come back in and got IntegrityCheck fail again. At that point I uninstalled the F14 module and reinstalled. Again I was able to get into a multiplayer server, but upon leaving and trying to come back in, I get the check fail again. Any idea what's going on here?

I'm not 100% knowledgeable on this kinda stuff with the new patch but I know that VoiceAttack now breaks IC. Do you have VoiceAttack installed?

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

6 hours ago, DSplayer said:

I'm not 100% knowledgeable on this kinda stuff with the new patch but I know that VoiceAttack now breaks IC. Do you have VoiceAttack installed?

Yup I'm running VoiceAttack too, glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

12 hours ago, Naquaii said:

RA - Range from own aircraft to hooked symbol.

AL - Altitude of hooked symbol.

GS - Ground speed of hooked symbol.

BR - Bearing to hooked symbol. (Not magnetic)

MC - Magnetic Course.

MH - Magnetic Heading.

HD - True heading of hooked symbol.

LT/RT - Aspect hooked symbol is showing own aircaft.

AS - True airspeed.

Very thanks Naquaii.

I have VA installed and I have not had an IC problem.

I hope the target aspect angle is resolved in time for the Wed hotfix!

Any idea when Phoenix CTA will be implemented?  That would be gold to me!

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

7 minutes ago, bonesvf103 said:

The aspect seemed to me to be inverted.  I had a bandit heading straight at me on the nose and it said RT 180 or LT 180.  Shouldn't it be 0?

v6,

boNes

Yes, as discussed earlier in this thread there's currently a bug that we hope to fix as soon as possible with that.

1 minute ago, Naquaii said:

Yes, as discussed earlier in this thread there's currently a bug that we hope to fix as soon as possible with that.

Thanks, I saw that and was in the process of deleting my post right when you posted.

See my changed post instead...I was wondering if you guys had plans to do Phoenix CTA yet...?

Thanks.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

16 minutes ago, bonesvf103 said:

Thanks, I saw that and was in the process of deleting my post right when you posted.

See my changed post instead...I was wondering if you guys had plans to do Phoenix CTA yet...?

Thanks.

v6,

boNes

Not sure what that acronym stands for to be honest.

1 hour ago, Naquaii said:

Not sure what that acronym stands for to be honest.

CTA= Command to Active.

It's the switch in the RIO set on the left vertical panel for the missile options where a Phoenix launched in TWS mode can be commanded to go to pitbull before its pre-programmed active time.  That way if you have to break away to defend before the Phoenix goes pitbull, you can command it to pitbull and breakaway without trashing the shot.

In the HB manual it is listed, but as not yet implemented, which led me to believe it is in the works.  Is it?

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

21 minutes ago, bonesvf103 said:

CTA= Command to Active.

It's the switch in the RIO set on the left vertical panel for the missile options where a Phoenix launched in TWS mode can be commanded to go to pitbull before its pre-programmed active time.  That way if you have to break away to defend before the Phoenix goes pitbull, you can command it to pitbull and breakaway without trashing the shot.

In the HB manual it is listed, but as not yet implemented, which led me to believe it is in the works.  Is it?

v6,

boNes

I think you’re talking about the MSL Options switch that has a PH ACT setting. PH ACT is a prelaunch setting and there isn’t a switch in the back that manually sends an active signal as far as I know.

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

58 minutes ago, DSplayer said:

PH ACT is a prelaunch setting and there isn’t a switch in the back that manually sends an active signal as far as I know.

It would appear the exact functionality provided by the switch changed over the lifespan of the Tomcat. 

15 hours ago, Airhunter said:

Any proof for that? Might be related to the 54C if anything.

17 hours ago, DSplayer said:

I think you’re talking about the MSL Options switch that has a PH ACT setting. PH ACT is a prelaunch setting and there isn’t a switch in the back that manually sends an active signal as far as I know.

Not exactly proof, as he might have misremembered , but I think in one of the recent of Ward Carrols videos (probably either his BVR timeline vid or that other with the Q&A of those two virtual squadron members) he mentioned this too if I understood him correctly.

I.e. pushing a switch in order to send a signal to the already launched phoenixes to go active and allow the aircraft to turn away.I might be mistaken though.

Don’t have the time right now to look it up, if I get around to it, I can look for a time stamp.

regards,

Snappy 

Edited by Snappy

17 hours ago, bonesvf103 said:

CTA= Command to Active.

v6,

boNes

Ah, I've ever only heard it referred to as ATC (Active Transfer Command) but as it is our information is quite explicit on it being pre-launch only so atm it is what it is. It might change with additional information ofc.

1 hour ago, Snappy said:

Not exactly proof, as he might have misremembered , but I think in one of the recent of Ward Carrols videos (probably either his BVR timeline vid or that other with the Q&A of those two virtual squadron members) he mentioned this too if I understood him correctly.

I.e. pushing a switch in order to send a signal to the already launched phoenixes to go active and allow the aircraft to turn away.I might be mistaken though.

Don’t have the time right now to look it up, if I get around to it, I can look for a time stamp.

regards,

Snappy 

Hmm. If a bunch of former F-14 RIO's can attest to the existence or usage of a switch that manually sends an active signal to a Phoenix, (not HB) think that it could get implemented if they get enough info on it. 

5 hours ago, DSplayer said:

Hmm. If a bunch of former F-14 RIO's can attest to the existence or usage of a switch that manually sends an active signal to a Phoenix, (not HB) think that it could get implemented if they get enough info on it. 

I found out about what was called CTA (Command to active) which is, yes, based on the MSL OPTIONS section with the knob turned to PH ACT, on the DCS forums.  The poster was a former RIO I believe.  I had asked because I had Phoenixes in flight but were not yet active, and I had to trash them to go defensive from an enemy missile, wasting them.  I thought it would be cool if you could command them to active so you can trun away and this poster said that you could in the real Tomcat in this way, but it wasn't set up in HB's yet.

6 hours ago, Naquaii said:

Ah, I've ever only heard it referred to as ATC (Active Transfer Command) but as it is our information is quite explicit on it being pre-launch only so atm it is what it is. It might change with additional information ofc.

So, ATM, the switch is the RIO equivalent of the pilot flipping up the ACM cover in the front seat?

So basically, when this is done, the Phoenix goes pitbull on the first target it sees?  In the front seat do you have to put the target on the ADL or the gun cross first, or just in the general area?  In the backseat, how would you target the bandit with PH ACT selected?  Get a STT then fire, or just launch in TWS ahead of you with PH ACT selected and rely on the Phoenix finding the first target it sees?

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103