Feedback Thread - F14 Patch 17th Sept 2021

IronMike

9 hours ago, bonesvf103 said:

here it is around 30 left which was about right since the bandit needed to turn about 30 deg left to be nose on to me.

Where do you see that? You say your heading is about 030 which is correct by BDHI and your tgts is about 210, which means you are both direct nose on, exactly what you can see on TID, as you are in ground stab and that shows true velocity vectors. So TA should be around 0.

3 hours ago, Dentedend10 said:

I thought the patch also should have set the Flaps back to an axis. However, in my version it still works as OnOff or Down/Up, no in between settings. Did I misunderstand something?

Flaps work fine again in latest update as far as I checked.

11 hours ago, bonesvf103 said:

Looks good on my end:  in this screenshot the bandit is heading 215.  I am heading about 030.  TA is 35L.  If it was still bugged the TA would have said something like 175 or so.

v6,

boNes

Screen_210922_171208.png

Ok, let's have a look:

FH = 035 looks like from the BDHI (pro tip: to avoid parallax effect, use snapviews). I don't know which map we're in, let's say it's marianas, so magvar ~0 (alternatively, you can get the TH of the F-14 form the CAP);
BH = 215 as you said, so BR 035

Three ways to do it now:
1- standard with TA = BR → BB:
    TA = 035 → (035-0) = 0
2- simplified, considering that ATA = 0 (Cut)
    TA = FH → BR = 35 → 35 = 0
3- even easier, we are in a zero cut / parallel head-on situation and FH = BR, ergo TA = ATA.

I can add the details if you want, but in all cases the target aspect is zero. I mean, you can tell it right away from the TID: you are in GS and the target is coming straight at you.

Also, @sLYFa added a very good point: we know that the F-14 is unprecise, but discounting 5° of TA, which may add up to all the other intrinsic imprecisions of the F-14, it's something I'd avoid when possible (it's not always necessary, but I guess it's a good habit).

@gyrovague: absolutely no problem Sir, I was just curious because the patch notes sometimes forget about the best-module-in-dcs-until-you-guys-make-the-F4 (but I'm probably biased) 😛

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

4 hours ago, Dentedend10 said:

I thought the patch also should have set the Flaps back to an axis. However, in my version it still works as OnOff or Down/Up, no in between settings. Did I misunderstand something?

My flaps still are bound to an axis and the latest patches didn't change anything.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

5 minutes ago, DSplayer said:

My flaps still are bound to an axis and the latest patches didn't change anything.

The patches did not unbound the axis from the flaps. It was just a change of how the flaps behaved versus the lever movement.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Flaps back to working the way they should on my Virpil T-50CM v3 flap axis with intermediate positions as they did before. 

Edited by Uxi

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

OK, so when I took the screenshot, I estimated the bandit heading and such by glancing at it in external view and getting reading from there.  So not the best estimate in the world, quick and dirties that led me to 35L being good.  Really it should be more like 15L.  Looking at the positions at the time, he would have to turn his head about 15 degrees left to see me on his nose.  But my point was being it used to say 180 or 175 which I think we can all agree was WAAAAAY off, this was a much better improvement.  So no, not fixed, but better than it was, and thus, worked better for me than before.  Plus he might have changed heading and TA in the time that I switched back to cockpit view and took the screenshot.  We were maneuvering after all.  I tried it a few times again with more accurate numbers and it was the same way.  So yeah, not quite fixed yet, but better than it was.

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

7 hours ago, eatthis said:

so does this mean its mad dog straight off the rail? in which case its effectively the same as acm switch??

image.pngs

It will result in the same type of active in DCS apart from that the LTE (launch to eject, i.e. time from trigger to ejection of missile) will be shorter with the ACM guard up.

IRL there would be other differences that we can't model currently.

1 hour ago, bonesvf103 said:

OK, so when I took the screenshot, I estimated the bandit heading and such by glancing at it in external view and getting reading from there.  So not the best estimate in the world, quick and dirties that led me to 35L being good.  Really it should be more like 15L.  Looking at the positions at the time, he would have to turn his head about 15 degrees left to see me on his nose.  But my point was being it used to say 180 or 175 which I think we can all agree was WAAAAAY off, this was a much better improvement.  So no, not fixed, but better than it was, and thus, worked better for me than before.  Plus he might have changed heading and TA in the time that I switched back to cockpit view and took the screenshot.  We were maneuvering after all.  I tried it a few times again with more accurate numbers and it was the same way.  So yeah, not quite fixed yet, but better than it was.

v6,

boNes

Nothing changed on our side as the fix didn't make it in. Any seen difference must be coincidental.

2 hours ago, Naquaii said:

Nothing changed on our side as the fix didn't make it in. Any seen difference must be coincidental.

Yeah it's looking more coincidental than anything since last night.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

5 hours ago, DarkIgo said:

What happened with mission teaser for the fear the bones camping? I can't find this mission anymore for F-14.

The quick missions list file is broken.

You can still open Mission Editor and open ..\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F14\Missions\QuickStart\F-14A_IA_Caucasus_Fear the Bones.miz

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, Dentedend10 said:

2.7.5.10869. I run the updater normally.

You're running current stable version for which the last update included this change: "Added threshold value for flaps axis so flaps on/off are now binary."

Latest beta reverted this to the old behavior.

btw: This thread is about beta update from 17th September.

Edited by draconus

16 hours ago, draconus said:

You're running current stable version for which the last update included this change: "Added threshold value for flaps axis so flaps on/off are now binary."

Latest beta reverted this to the old behavior.

btw: This thread is about beta update from 17th September.

That explains it, thank you. I'll download the beta

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

Sad that there are no new fixed that ED put in for the F-14 for today’s hotfix.

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

47 minutes ago, Airhunter said:

The OCT 14 should be the big one. Fingers crossed, unles history repeats itself again. 😄 

Yeah, I’m “patiently” waiting for the EIGT and maybe the new missile API. I also hope all those bug fixes and changes make it in as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DSplayer said:

Sad that there are no new fixed that ED put in for the F-14 for today’s hotfix.

Yes I still don’t get why the small stuff like buggy TA readout that was mentioned to be already fixed internally long ago (on sep 22nd) didn’t make it into the hotfix.

Ok ED didn’t announce the first hotfix in time after the big patch , but now we have the second hotfix and still it’s only containing ED stuff.

Makes me really wonder how much they coordinate or to talk to to their 3rd parties about hotfixes in advance.

I mean it’s not like other modules might have benefited from hotfixing too..

Edited by Snappy

6 hours ago, Airhunter said:

Forrestal. Definitely the boat.

Eh, what use is a boat, if our planes don't fly right and our stick don't shoot straight? 😄

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

8 hours ago, captain_dalan said:

Eh, what use is a boat, if our planes don't fly right and our stick don't shoot straight? 😄

Well the maintenance shop is on the carrier soo…

Just kidding. I actually agree with you. Prefer a more complete aircraft  too personally.

Edited by Snappy

15 hours ago, Snappy said:

Yes I still don’t get why the small stuff like buggy TA readout that was mentioned to be already fixed internally long ago (on sep 22nd) didn’t make it into the hotfix.

Ok ED didn’t announce the first hotfix in time after the big patch , but now we have the second hotfix and still it’s only containing ED stuff.

Makes me really wonder how much they coordinate or to talk to to their 3rd parties about hotfixes in advance.

I mean it’s not like other modules might have benefited from hotfixing too..

Unfortunately we did not know about it yet again, although the stuff you mentioned is already fixed, plus a dozen other smaller issues, which we usually fix right away.

17 hours ago, DSplayer said:

Yeah, I’m “patiently” waiting for the EIGT and maybe the new missile API. I also hope all those bug fixes and changes make it in as well.

The new missile API will not be in the October patch, just so you do not get your hopes high for that. ED themselves have not finished working on the new API, and we need more time as well. It is not at all an easy or straight forward process, our apologies for that and thank you for your kind patience.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

12 minutes ago, IronMike said:

The new missile API will not be in the October patch, just so you do not get your hopes high for that. ED themselves have not finished working on the new API, and we need more time as well. It is not at all an easy or straight forward process, our apologies for that and thank you for your kind patience.

Aww man. When do you guys think it will be available for OB release at the earliest? November-December-ish?