IRL how much does the pilot set up before take-off

Underscore

Hi

As we know the Hornet can be quite a systems admin hog and not as slick as the viper requiring more heads down time (at least IMO)

Question is how much of this admin is done prior to take-off IRL

So would a pilot on the deck of the carrier set up:-

1. Flare / chaff profiles
  2. Laser codes for mavs / LGB's
  3. Fuse types
  4. Lat / longs for some missiles / bombs
  5. Other weapon profiles
  6. HARM profiles
  7. Radio Frequencies
  8. Other stuff

or is all this stuff done post take-off

Cheers

Edited by Underscore
  • Like 1

-----------------------------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5800X @ 4.8Gz; MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk; GeForce RTX 4090 MSI Trio;  32MB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz; Samsung 980 pro M.2; Varjo Aero VR; Thrustmaster Warthog stick, Viper TQS throttle & MFD's; Monza SR-P pedals

• Underscore changed the title to IRL how much does the pilot set up before take-off

Most of this stuff is loaded from data cartridge, which pilot puts in the computer port when boarding a plane. 
You can't change laser code of LGBs (I don't know about Mav, but probably this same), it's physically set by deck crew on a bomb.

All that what we have to do is just "gaming stuff". Some of them to make our gaming easier, some, becasue ED won't fix it/make it better.

Edited by Foka
  • Like 3

As far as I know, everything that's mission critical legally has to be loaded and set up on the ground, so stuff like target point coordinates, JDAM PP data, laser codes all have to be set prior to takeoff. Sources indicate heavy preference to using DTC whenever possible, you can manually load virtually anything in the Hornet, including things like JDAM/GPS crypto for example but for obvious reasons it isn't recommended. 

As for in DCS, I feel like the more stuff you set up on the ground, the easier your life will be. When you're flying you should focus your attention on staying in formation, clearing six and maintaining proper SA. Anything that requires you to go heads down for extended periods of time to fiddle with settings or profiles is obviously not ideal. You have plenty of stuff to check and monitor anyway so do anything you can to make your life easier.

Agree 100%. Which is why I believe the DTC should have been introduced a long, long time ago. 

• Like 8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

As far as I know, on the Hornet, the Data Storage Set (DSS) allows for flight planning setup with a computer and direct transfer to the aircraft for:

Waypoints, offset points, and sequences, SA threat zones, all PP/PB target points, weapon delivery profiles (including fuzing, HARM data, and JDAM/JSOW terminal profiles), all CMDS programs, datalink setup and MIDS, IFF codes, radio channels, TACAN, GPS configuration, and wind data.

NATOPS also mentions being able to transfer radar data, I'm not sure exactly what that means, perhaps per-weapon radar profiles can be customized and loaded ahead of time?

39 minutes ago, Bunny Clark said:

As far as I know, on the Hornet, the Data Storage Set (DSS) allows for flight planning setup with a computer and direct transfer to the aircraft for:

Waypoints, offset points, and sequences, SA threat zones, all PP/PB target points, weapon delivery profiles (including fuzing, HARM data, and JDAM/JSOW terminal profiles), all CMDS programs, datalink setup and MIDS, IFF codes, radio channels, TACAN, GPS configuration, and wind data.

NATOPS also mentions being able to transfer radar data, I'm not sure exactly what that means, perhaps per-weapon radar profiles can be customized and loaded ahead of time?

Isn't "radar data" like updating the RWR system library with updated enemy radar signatures?

3 hours ago, Tholozor said:

I believe the radar data may pertain to radar weapon profiles (RWS SET parameters) and the radar channel.

This is correct

• Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Most of this stuff is loaded from data cartridge, which pilot puts in the computer port when boarding a plane. 
You can't change laser code of LGBs (I don't know about Mav, but probably this same), it's physically set by deck crew on a bomb.

All that what we have to do is just "gaming stuff". Some of them to make our gaming easier, some, becasue ED won't fix it/make it better.
Since the MAV has a video and information interface with the aircraft, I'd expect laser code entry to work the way it does right now, more or less. I've seen at least one IRL video that shows the MAV display with the laser code, that we have in DCS.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

3 hours ago, Habu_69 said:

Can not MFDs also be pre-configured for custom AA/AG/NAV system modes and page settings, as in the Viper?

No, the Hornet uses hard-wired logic for the Sensor Control Switch that invokes specific pages on specific displays in each master mode.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Unfortunate they prioritized the DTC so far down the list.
I would have gladly traded off one or two of the weapons systems to get it early on.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

15 hours ago, Kilo said:

Don't know about the Maverick, but as far as I recall, the Paveway II laser code is set with a screwdriver

Maverick laser codes are set via the MFD, exactly like how it works in DCS. Paveway II and III guidance units do indeed have the code set on the guidance unit itself. These are set by the ordnance crew and cannot be changed in flight. 

14 hours ago, Bunny Clark said:

Maverick laser codes are set via the MFD, exactly like how it works in DCS. Paveway II and III guidance units do indeed have the code set on the guidance unit itself. These are set by the ordnance crew and cannot be changed in flight. 

So the JTAC would need to change their code to the pilots code? versus the common way of the pilot changing their code to match the JTAC's?

Ryzen 7 5800x w/ PBO on, RTX 3070ti w/ OC, 32 GB RAM @3000 | Quest 2, Virpil Joystick, Throttle, and Rudder

17 hours ago, SmeagleGoneWild said:

So the JTAC would need to change their code to the pilots code? versus the common way of the pilot changing their code to match the JTAC's?

'The common way' being the way that is never done IRL

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2