Apache MFD from Total Controls

JackFlash

18 hours ago, JackFlash said:

A quick question. We are planning to produce some table mounts for the frames. They will be sold separately. Do you guys think this is something you’ll get along with the frames?

Don´t they come with some kind of stand already; like the TM ones?

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

20 hours ago, JackFlash said:

A quick question. We are planning to produce some table mounts for the frames. They will be sold separately. Do you guys think this is something you’ll get along with the frames?

I think most people in this thread, like me, don't need a desk mount.  I would still offer it, however, so that buyers who do not build a cockpit are also addressed.

PC: Win 10 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, GForce RTX 4090.

Cockpit & HOTAS: VKB Gunfighter MKIII with MCG PRO, Vipril MT-50 CM2, Virpil Rotor Plus & SharKa-50 grip, Thrustmaster TPR, Virpil SharKa-50 Control Panel, WinWing Phoenix MIP, WinWing PTO & PCR, Total Control Apachte MPD frames, several DIY panels, NLR GTTRACK, NLR Motion V3, ButtKicker Gamer PLUS

VR: Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2

11 hours ago, Pikas62 said:

I think most people in this thread, like me, don't need a desk mount.  I would still offer it, however, so that buyers who do not build a cockpit are also addressed.

That's true for me, too.

“The uninitiated non-believers think an airplane is a collection of moving parts and miles of wiring.

We know better.”

Marshall “War Dog” Lefavor

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 hours ago, jabbabzh said:

Maybe a sort of TM MFD mount for desktop ?

They won't do. The force on the buttons and the size of the frames makes the TM-solution impractical. We will have to make a mount that attaches to the desk.

Edited by JackFlash

My latest project, the Multi Function Button Box can be found at Kickstarter.

I mount mine (cougars) to a second monitor so would not use a desk mount for your MFD either.

Any word on the cost for a pair yet? 😀

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Definitely will be ordering at least a pair, maybe three. Would not be buying any sort of mount for them. Definitely interested in abris strip & tedac... thought I'm at device limit, so the abris strip would hopefully not be a separate device. Speaking of, it'd be amazing if they could be daisy-chained where 2 of them could show up as one device.

Edited by Munkwolf

I use a powered 10 port USB hub. Works great, 4x Cougar MFD’s, rudders, TrackIR, keyboard and mouse with two left over. I’ll add the two Apache ones in those  

Warthog is plugged into the PC since it prefers the MB. 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

11 hours ago, Sarge55 said:

I use a powered 10 port USB hub. Works great, 4x Cougar MFD’s, rudders, TrackIR, keyboard and mouse with two left over. I’ll add the two Apache ones in those  

Warthog is plugged into the PC since it prefers the MB. 

Can you let me know which model please?
Regards

On 1/22/2022 at 2:26 PM, JackFlash said:

An iPad would be great for screen. Just looking for a way to export the MPD to an iPad. Any developer out there? Send me a DM 🙂

Found these on Alibaba....somewhere quite near?
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-brightness-ips-lcd-screen-1024x600_1600089963059.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.eed92105rpWji0&s=p

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

Marshallman, I also use a 10-port powered hub by Acasis.  Each port has it's own blue lit on/off button.  I also have 4xTM MFDs, Warthog Stick, Warthog Throttle, Saitek Pro Pro Pedals and Track IR all going into their own separate port.  The two remaining will be for my Virpil Collective and grip when they show up.  I've had no problems at all with the Acasis Powered Hub.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Marshallman I’m away from my rig until next week (sigh).
I can’t remember the brand but I bought it from Canada Computer. Try their website. 

It sounds similar to the one TBob11 described, each port has a power button, etc. 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are there any measurements how these MFDS sit in relationship to the pilot in the X,Y and Z axis?

As well as physical separation between each MFD. (for both the co pilot but more importantly the pilot)? 

• Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Am 23.12.2021 um 08:31 schrieb Vakarian:

Well yeah, Cougars are not something I'd say are the pinnacle of latest tech, but let's be honest, it's a button box, nothing else. If a button gets registered when I press it, I really don't care if it's an el cheapo no-name switch beneath, ALPS, Omron or even an OTTO switch behind it. It's a button, nothing else. It's a frame with 28 buttons on it, just formed in a logical shape to accomodate better muscle memory.

Now, with the Apache MFDs, we have a bit more buttons and a 3 extra encoders (I presume those are encoders, might be wrong) placed in a slightly bigger frame. Now, I don't think that the size of the frame matters as much in the terms of the pricing, it's a plastic after all and at the first glance looks 3D printed. PCB can also be done fairly cheaply from jlcpcb or any other manufacturing. So, 3 extra encoders, 4 extra buttons and a larger frame result that there is a product that's more than a double of price of a single Cougar MFD and a tad more than a price of the both of them.

TM Cougars (Kit of 2 frames) TC Apache MFD x2
56 buttons 64 buttons and 6 encoders
 80 USD 200-240 USD

That's why it's a hard sell for me

The important point is, unlike the TM MFDs whose development costs have long been covered by "the other F-16 Sim" and benefit from industry level mass production and cross-financing from other products, this is a small company with a very narrow customer base.

The real question is, do you want to hassle with a mix of Cougar MFDs, augmented by another self-made button box ( which including USB board, switches, encoders, cabling etc. usually costs upwards of 100 USD in materials, plus building it), buy another button box or StreamDeck and fiddle between three devices, or replace the cougar MFDs with a ready to use AH-64D MFD frame, with real life button layout and encoders for the dials?

If the goal is, to have a cheap solution... Well, your keyboard has enough buttons and modifier options. Only thing missing is ergonomics, especially in a stressful attack run. 😉

• Thanks 2

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

1 hour ago, shagrat said:

The important point is, unlike the TM MFDs whose development costs have long been covered by "the other F-16 Sim" and benefit from industry level mass production and cross-financing from other products, this is a small company with a very narrow customer base.

The real question is, do you want to hassle with a mix of Cougar MFDs, augmented by another self-made button box ( which including USB board, switches, encoders, cabling etc. usually costs upwards of 100 USD in materials, plus building it), buy another button box or StreamDeck and fiddle between three devices, or replace the cougar MFDs with a ready to use AH-64D MFD frame, with real life button layout and encoders for the dials?

If the goal is, to have a cheap solution... Well, your keyboard has enough buttons and modifier options. Only thing missing is ergonomics, especially in a stressful attack run. 😉

This was all covered 2 months ago, so I really don't see the point of necroing this. 

2 hours ago, JackFlash said:

No, but we will inform our subscribers to the newsletter first when we release the pre-order. Be sure to subscribe.

Do you have a link to the newsletter?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

1 hour ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Do you have a link to the newsletter?

You can sign up on their website https://totalcontrols.eu/ (scroll down to the bottom)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

• 3 weeks later...

Abris controls for KA-50?

If so, I’ll take one. 

Edited by Sarge55
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]