Announcing the F-4 Phantom for DCS World!

Cobra847

7 hours ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

Well, yeah. A modern unrestricted Fox 2 visual fight is basically suicide-by-IR-missile regardless of aircraft type. 

I was more of making the point that its going to be an uphill struggle at first to learn some tactics in our new plane in a few months.

12 minutes ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

Time to copy it again and post it back to Reddit ! 😄

Damnit, haha...I'm not used to reddit but wondered why the likes look same like the Forums. OK, that was then a bit of a kidding myself...but this may help to spread the word even more.

Edited by MemphisBelle
  • Like 2

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

30 minutes ago, Бойовий Сокіл said:

Exactly. The E is a great choice for that reason. You can add liveries for all those countries that operatde them or simialr versions and apart from subsystems internally they should be pretty close. Israel for example is a great candidate for the new Sinai map.

Agreed.

But on the other hand, the Navy F-4s have cooler paint schemes and do carrier ops. That makes the CDI factor (Chicks Dig It) off the scales for that jet, so there’s that. 😎👍

Edited by Cab
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

It’s rational for many peoples’ interest in the Phantom II to come from its service in their air arm. 

I'm not arguing that.

I'm just saying that inferring the opposite, that is that the naval Phantoms won't sell as well as the E because they were only in US and UK service, isn't necessarily true; many people buy the modules just because they love the aircraft they models.

Edited by Gianky
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Biggus said:

I'm Australian.  Perhaps I'd be expected to be more excited about the F-4E, but I'm far more interested in a naval variant.  I could be an outlier but I doubt that I'm alone.

This Aussie wholeheartedly concurs. I will get the F-4E, but it will mostly be to get a start on learning the systems while I wait for the carrier-capable version

• Like 3

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

21 minutes ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

Australian leased F-4E skin C A N C E L E D

Keep it up and the Kiwis will get a fictional Phantom first and maybe even an All Blacks one to boot

Well that was uncalled for 😛 

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

26 minutes ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

Australian leased F-4E skin C A N C E L E D

Keep it up and the Kiwis will get a fictional Phantom first and maybe even an All Blacks one to boot

LC wields his retribution without mercy!

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

4 hours ago, Bananabrai said:

And Germany. Actually it was longer in service with unified Germany than West Germany.

Isn't that the same country (The Federal Republic of Germany)? 🤔

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

2 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Isn't that the same country? 🤔

I think one was missing a wall…

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Horns said:

I think one was missing a wall…

I think the wall was in East Germany (The Democratic Republic of Germany), which actually was a different country.
Anyways, I'm afraid this is going OT. Sorry :poster_oops:

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

22 hours ago, Bananabrai said:

And Germany. Actually it was longer in service with unified Germany than West Germany.

Wow... kind of amazing to think about, considering that in the 70's and 80's the idea of reunification seemed... well, a longshot,  at least to ousiders like me! 

Visiting the museum at Checkpoint Charlie in 1995 was kinda sureal. For those who don't know the history, it's well worth your time to learn about it... but that's all WAY off topic for a thread about the "Flying Sledgehammer of Doom" known popularly as the Phantastic Phamous Phantoms!

(ok that last bit might have been a little over the top)

As for the Heat F-4, the videos from the other day look fantastic! ( mean, Heatblur has done amazing visual models for it's Tomcats and Viggens, but this Phantom looks to match or exceed those earlier products!

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 7:10 AM, Rick50 said:

Wow... kind of amazing to think about

Even more funny, the F-4F was just bought as a stop-gap solution between F-104 and Jäger90 (initial name for the Eurofighter project), it was only supposed to be in service for 10-20 years max.

Typhoon was supposed to be FOC in the (early) 90s.

• Thanks 1

Alias in Discord: Mailman

I'm happy for the community at large for the F-4E, but I am another one who will be waiting for the Naval Phantom.  The only non FC3 planes I have that are not carrier capable are the A-10C (the old one, from before DCS had World after it) and the F-16 (the plane I tried to fly as a career).  Everything else has a tail hook, vectored thrust, or is a Helo.  Then I did some quick mental math and realized I have all the modules with tailhooks (all official plus the excellent A-4).  

"Runways are lame" seems to be the theme of my module buying 😛

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Spurts said:

I'm happy for the community at large for the F-4E, but I am another one who will be waiting for the Naval Phantom.  The only non FC3 planes I have that are not carrier capable are the A-10C (the old one, from before DCS had World after it) and the F-16 (the plane I tried to fly as a career).  Everything else has a tail hook, vectored thrust, or is a Helo.  Then I did some quick mental math and realized I have all the modules with tailhooks (all official plus the excellent A-4).  

I mean, the E has the hook. It may not necessarily be the correct one for what you want but it does have it. 

• Like 1

Current Modules: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, AV-8B, Mirage 2KC, Mirage F-1, Mig-21, AJS-37, A-10C II, F-5E, AH-64D, UH-1H, Ka-50 BS2/BS3, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, SA342, Spitfire, P-47D, BF-109K, Mosquito
Tech Pack: WWII Assets
Terrain: Syria, Sinai, NTTR

5 hours ago, Spurts said:

Life is too short to taxi long distances.  I'm with you!

Still excited for the long nosed bird though.  But a J or an S would have been my personal pick.

1 hour ago, RevampedGrunt said:

I mean, the E has the hook. It may not necessarily be the correct one for what you want but it does have it. 

The F-4E can land on an aircraft carrier.

Once.

Land based Phantoms retained the stout tailhook for emergency runway barrier arrestments, a procedure sadly employed all too frequently in Southeast Asia. Not only can a land based F-4E not takeoff from a carrier , but the naval F-4s can’t use our current carriers either due to the catapult setup.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

the naval F-4s can’t use our current carriers either due to the catapult setup.

Maybe this is another reason the F-4E is releasing before the naval variants.  Unless they're just going to fudge the bridle like the A-4 mod or even make it just visual like the VSN F-4B mod, they must have another carrier(or variant) besides the Forrestal class in the pipeline of unannounced items they have according to their most recent update post.  Maybe they'll do a one-off like the Midway although only having one specific carrier we can use the F-4 on is not going to be the best option.  Especially since the Supercarrier module is the only one in DCS allowed to have the animated AI deck crew.

• Like 2

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

3 hours ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

the naval F-4s can’t use our current carriers either due to the catapult setup.

Does that mean Phantoms and Tomcats can't use the same carrier?