Alt+Enter does not enter full screen; stuck in windowed

Nealius

Since it doesn't affect DCS globaly for all players, I assume that it is a special combination of windows settings and the latest build of DCS (maybe some drivers are also in the mix).

I know, it doesn't help those who are effected, but perhaps it helps to corner the problem.

Some things, affected user may want to try while waiting for the next possible fix:
(my settings are in brackets, but I would try each setting anyway)

Windows-Settings:

- Hardware accelerated GPU-Scheduling (off)
- Fullscreen optimization (disabled)

NVCP Settings

- V-Sync (forced off)
- G-Sync (on)
- fixed Framerate (works either way for me, capped or not)
- Scaling (under Desktop size and position) (no scaling, scaling by display)

Just toggle those settings one by another and test.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

With those settings can you alt enter and it will force the fullscreen ?

Because my only issue is since the last update I can't use ALT Enter and so the game is always in windowed, I use this trick to gain fps and have a more stable DCS since 2017...

My Setup : i5-4690 3.50GHz + 24GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz + MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus OC + 2 SSD + 4 HDD + Oculus Rift CV1 + TM T.16000M Hotas

Super Etendard for Life !

No, the alt-enter toggle isn‘t there anymore, which is fine for me (and I think it‘s intended) because on my machine, DCS defaults to real Fullscreen. When I want to switch tasks, I alt-tab, which will make DCS a window but lets it stay upfront (which is new, in the past it would minimize iirc). The moment I click into the windowed DCS fullscreen is applied again. No fps issues whatsoever. Btw. the „fullscreen“ box in the DCS settings only changes the alt+tab behavior. With it checked, alt+tab will minimize DCS to the task bar, unchecked it becomes a window and stays in front.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Am 29.9.2022 um 19:08 schrieb Hiob:

No, the alt-enter toggle isn‘t there anymore, which is fine for me (and I think it‘s intended) because on my machine, DCS defaults to real Fullscreen. When I want to switch tasks, I alt-tab, which will make DCS a window but lets it stay upfront (which is new, in the past it would minimize iirc). The moment I click into the windowed DCS fullscreen is applied again. No fps issues whatsoever. Btw. the „fullscreen“ box in the DCS settings only changes the alt+tab behavior. With it checked, alt+tab will minimize DCS to the task bar, unchecked it becomes a window and stays in front.

The Alt+Enter "toggle" is a function of the Windows Operating System I doubt, Microsoft removed that function.

A side-effect of the Alt+Enter (that should force fullscreen on a console window) was to (re)-focus the DCS window (despite DCS being in the front)  what would ensure priority for performance, again.

The real question here is why is DCS for some people still does not run as focused application, even when never Alt+Tabbed?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

19 hours ago, shagrat said:

The Alt+Enter "toggle" is a function of the Windows Operating System I doubt, Microsoft removed that function.

A side-effect of the Alt+Enter (that should force fullscreen on a console window) was to (re)-focus the DCS window (despite DCS being in the front)  what would ensure priority for performance, again.

The real question here is why is DCS for some people still does not run as focused application, even when never Alt+Tabbed?

Windows did not remove that feature since you can still go full-screen in the console.

ED should revert back ASAP since it is making the game running fairly poorer than it was before.

I don't understand that move.

That trick was working perfectly for years now. They again broke something that was working while other broken things are still up.

They really should put more focus on what the community is reporting (and acknowledge bugs instead of trying to find excuses) and fix what THE CUSTOMER wants ... unless that move was part of a greater core optimization.

Safe to say ... it actually failed.

vor 27 Minuten schrieb 84-Simba:

Windows did not remove that feature since you can still go full-screen in the console.

ED should revert back ASAP since it is making the game running fairly poorer than it was before.

I don't understand that move.

That trick was working perfectly for years now. They again broke something that was working while other broken things are still up.

They really should put more focus on what the community is reporting (and acknowledge bugs instead of trying to find excuses) and fix what THE CUSTOMER wants ... unless that move was part of a greater core optimization.

Safe to say ... it actually failed.

Of course Microsoft did not remove the feature, that was a rethorical question.

The fact it is a Windows feature means ED has no control over it.

Again, what is "the bug"? A Windows feature not having the effect it had before?

The "trick" is pretty much exactly a trick, to fix a situation, where another application "steals" the focus from DCS or another process hogs the focus.

As this isn't a general issue (e.g. it seems this performance sink affects a number of users, not all), otherwise it would affect everyone.

I can't even think of anything ED could do to "revert back" as it is Windows that manages the application windows, ressource allocation and process priorities, not DCS. If some other application messed with DCS and pressing Alt+Enter told Windows successfully to "force this Application in Fullscreen and give it the focus", before the patch, it will still command Windows to do the exact same thing after the patch... If it does not work, look for the process, that keeps hogging the system ressources and preventing DCS to run with full ressources.

If it is something ED can influence on their side, my guess is they will check, but given how it is supposed to work, as a Windows integrated function I am sceptical they can do much.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

9 minutes ago, shagrat said:

Yes it is a windows function, nobody denied that. But if the function is enabled (or copied) for a third party application is on the developer of that application and not windows.
Also iirc, ED explicitly confirmed, that they removed this function from DCS. (Which is - again - no problem, when DCS would work as supposed for all users)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shagrat said:

Of course Microsoft did not remove the feature, that was a rethorical question.

Again, what is "the bug"? A Windows feature not having the effect it had before?

The "trick" is pretty much exactly a trick, to fix a situation, where another application "steals" the focus from DCS or another process hogs the focus.

As this isn't a general issue (e.g. it seems this performance sink affects a number of users, not all), otherwise it would affect everyone.

I can't even think of anything ED could do to "revert back" as it is Windows that manages the application windows, ressource allocation and process priorities, not DCS. If some other application messed with DCS and pressing Alt+Enter told Windows successfully to "force this Application in Fullscreen and give it the focus", before the patch, it will still command Windows to do the exact same thing after the patch... If it does not work, look for the process, that keeps hogging the system ressources and preventing DCS to run with full ressources.

If it is something ED can influence on their side, my guess is they will check, but given how it is supposed to work, as a Windows integrated function I am sceptical they can do much.

ED said themselves that they repaired something and that the ''trick'' was no longer needed.

In facts, it is still very much needed.

So ... simple.

Whoever did something regarding this matter should erase what he did and revert back to what it was before.

It's so simple to mess with something absolutely vital for a lot of users and then punt the ball back to a third party.

Finally, DCS is working on Windows.

If there is a problem with Windows ED is responsible to make it work.

The question was not that rhetorical though. With the lastest update Windows did blew a few things (regarding master keyboards drivers and other things in that matter) so I suspected Windows first.

Then other people said that they rolled back to the previous version of DCS and the alt+enter was working.

It is definitely something the guys at ED did and while I respect and praise anyone for constantly pushing it forward, sometimes you have to accept that what you did is not working and revert back.

Considering it is a MAJOR performance problem for a lot of users, that subject should, IMO, be in top priority.

• Like 2

I sympathize with everyone who experiences any trouble regarding this issue, I really do, and I tried (am trying) to help by trying to sort out the reasons for this weird behaviour.

BUT please stop crying for "revert back" as a solution. In fact, though there are plenty of voices here that have a problem, I still believe that it is overall a minority. None of the people I fly with has reported any issues - nor do I experience any myself. In fact, personally I see an improvement.

And that's the problem. By simply "reverting back" nothing is solved. You're just solving the issue of some at the expense of others. And there is no actual technological advancement this way.

Going back to yesterday is NOT a solution. So - pressure ED to identify and solve the issue - I'm 100% on your side. But please stop calling for simply "undoing changes". Only time when such an action would be justified is when everybody or almost everybody is affected by a severe issue.

Edited by Hiob

• ED Team

The fix was to make DCS full screen work correctly and that is what has happened. 

Ticking full screen in DCS works and using alt+enter is not required.

I have passed on the feedback here, but for now it is working as intended. 

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

22 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

The fix was to make DCS full screen work correctly and that is what has happened. 

thanks

No, it is not.

Unless you consider that downgrading the performance is ''properly'' and ''intended'' ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, audiodistortion said:

Well, that's that then...

I must have missed the changelog entry relating to it - would someone be so kind and show me where it is listed?

i could not find it listed either so that is probably why you cannot. bignewy said the reason for having it was fixed so there was no longer a need for the workaround. he posted 7 hours ago and only two post above yours.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Hey @BIGNEWY, just coming back to that other thread (https://discord.com/channels/542985647502393346/1022558646477000744/1022923248259842110) about the full screen VR, you wanted me to report back how it was going.  Overall it's workable, but I've had to tick the checkbox to use the flat resolution to full screen in VR because the keep cursor constrained VR option doesn't always work; sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, most times I find myself clicking on something behind the game.  Using the flat resolution for VR works, but the only down side so far is once I'm in DCS I have to remember to leave something open on the desktop if I want to alt-tab back out for any reason.  Without having an open app on the desktop, it won't let me alt-tab to the windows taskbar or just to the desktop.  Usually not a problem since I have a few apps running that create a presence there like SimShaker and OpenKneeboard.

Anyway, I saw the thread was closed in Discord since it's being investigated in the forums, but I haven't found the forum thread yet, and you'd wanted me to report back when I had some info. 🙂

Overall, it's workable with some caveats, but not as smooth and easy as using the Alt-Enter full screen ability from previous patches.

• Thanks 1

• ED Team
43 minutes ago, Nytehawk said:

Hey @BIGNEWY, just coming back to that other thread (https://discord.com/channels/542985647502393346/1022558646477000744/1022923248259842110) about the full screen VR, you wanted me to report back how it was going.  Overall it's workable, but I've had to tick the checkbox to use the flat resolution to full screen in VR because the keep cursor constrained VR option doesn't always work; sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, most times I find myself clicking on something behind the game.  Using the flat resolution for VR works, but the only down side so far is once I'm in DCS I have to remember to leave something open on the desktop if I want to alt-tab back out for any reason.  Without having an open app on the desktop, it won't let me alt-tab to the windows taskbar or just to the desktop.  Usually not a problem since I have a few apps running that create a presence there like SimShaker and OpenKneeboard.

Anyway, I saw the thread was closed in Discord since it's being investigated in the forums, but I haven't found the forum thread yet, and you'd wanted me to report back when I had some info. 🙂

Overall, it's workable with some caveats, but not as smooth and easy as using the Alt-Enter full screen ability from previous patches.

thank you for giving the feedback and glad it is workable for you. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 10/6/2022 at 3:19 PM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

The thing is, that the game is NOT in fullscreen anymore and broke more stuff than it help just alt+tab, can you maybe do a REAL Fullscreen or bring back the ALT+ENTER ? Since it's not needed for FPS, people who want G-SYNC will use it aswell as VR guys who want real FPS aswell...

My Setup : i5-4690 3.50GHz + 24GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz + MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus OC + 2 SSD + 4 HDD + Oculus Rift CV1 + TM T.16000M Hotas

2 hours ago, Loukuins said:

The thing is, that the game is NOT in fullscreen anymore and broke more stuff than it help just alt+tab, can you maybe do a REAL Fullscreen or bring back the ALT+ENTER ? Since it's not needed for FPS, people who want G-SYNC will use it aswell as VR guys who want real FPS aswell...

Unfortunately, they're not going to fix it.

It's now a "feature".

The fact that it's an undocumented change... smells very fishy to me.

🥱

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loukuins said:

Works perfectly fine here with g-sync and fullscreen. Not to say, that there can’t be anything wrong. But is certainly not affecting everyone.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Hiob said:

Works perfectly fine here with g-sync and fullscreen. Not to say, that there can’t be anything wrong. But is certainly not affecting everyone.

Yeah, you might be using V-Sync but I really don't like the addition of latency that comes with it, tbh all we ask is a proper fullscreen implementation (even just adding an option for VR/G-SYNC users). I just want them to understand the issue and hopefully listen to the feedback

• Like 1

I assume, by now the devs are aware that the changes they made somehow causes issues in certain setups. They're probably bug-hunting already. But I won't expect a big announcement or elaborate explanation when they got it fixed. ED rarely comments on minor technical fixes - which it probably is.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 2

On 10/7/2022 at 3:42 PM, Nytehawk said:

Just a side note, there are 2 "Confine Cursor to DCS" Checkboxes, 1 in Graphics Options Main and one under VR.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

On 10/10/2022 at 3:20 AM, SkateZilla said:

Just a side note, there are 2 "Confine Cursor to DCS" Checkboxes, 1 in Graphics Options Main and one under VR.

Yeah, I thought I called out that I was using the VR window constrain, but here's a screenshot for proof.  I can still find my cursor outside my game window sometimes if I'm not using that Use DCS System Resolution option.

null

image.png