Fuel leaks

Dannyvandelft

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

I will add here also -

The viper is likely to take a fuel leak when damaged due to the positioning of the fuel tanks.

Hitting the front part of the fuselage creates leakage in F1 fuel tank, centre part - F2 and FWD tanks, aft part - A1 and AFT tanks. Hitting the wing adds leakage to wing tank.

Wing tank damage will mean a higher rate of fuel loss, partial damage to fuselage will be a reduced leak, however if a component is totally destroyed leaks will be significant. 

If you have public information about fuel tanks and fuel leaks on our viper that you may think is relevant feel free to PM me. 

What's your definition of "front part of the fuselage" ?

The F1 tank is actually not that big and sits between the cockpit and ammo drum. It would be very difficult to hit a damage it 

• Like 1

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

• 1 month later...

I know there was a thread that was closed previously.  That thread is half a year old and ANY fuselage damage results in complete fuel loss at the same rapid rate no matter where or how major/minor the damage is.

You stated that fuel leaks are likely when the fuselage is damaged, fine.  But, having EVERY hit, no matter how minor, to the fuselage cause catastrophic, rapid, leaking from all tanks, with no way to preserve any fuel, is ridiculous.

Please give us an update on this or let us know we have to live with a single 7.62 to the left side of the intake being the same end result as a direct missile hit.

• Like 11

Losing fuel in any aircraft after taking rounds is very likely but not a certainty.

In the DCS F-16 its guaranteed every time.

What frustrating is how fast you lose the fuel! 😕 As Ive said before, losing all 7100Lbs in 1:40 seconds every time you take a hit seems a bit extreme.

Dose the F-16 not have self sealing tanks?

• Like 2

AAR from a drogue is what, 50-60 lbs per second, so the F-16 currently looses fuel faster than we can refuel from a drogue, with pressure.

• Like 2

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• ED Team

this is already reported 

however the viper tanks are more vulnerable then other aircraft 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

with all the fuel you lose when getting hit with even the smallest caliber arms got me thinking. dont all modern day fighter aircraft have self sealing fuel tanks? self sealing tanks have been around since ww2. i dont have any documentation of this but i though i would post this and see what the community can come up with.

i did notice that i got hit the other day and only lost fuel in only one side of the fuel system, that is more better than losing it all with in a blink of an eye. so thank you ed for that much appreciated! 

• Like 3

• ED Team

Merged with the report we have, if you have public evidence please PM me

thank you

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

nullfuel leak.trk

One hit to the right wing with small cal. still causes total loss of fuel!

1. FUEL QTY SEL knob out of NORM should stops automatic forward fuel transfer (A/B man, 3-123)

2. Viper has self-sealing tanks

3. even a big hole in FW/Right fuel system can't empty every drop of gas so quickly

image.jpeg

• Like 5

the tank lining should seal even a 20mm hit that passes straight through the tank leaving an entry and exit hole (lets say AP ammo, not APHE). currently even 7.62mm creates faster fuel loss than a boom tanker could fill up using pressure to get fuel in fast.. funny how thats still an issue needing evidence after about a year. 
i can not imagine the fuel loss from such a hole to be faster than a refuelling boom tankers fuel transfer speed.

Not to mention that the tank is not just a simple bucket but has internal segments that would limit the complete loss of fuel due to damage to one cell.

you also lose all fuel if an external tank takes a hole until you figure it out and jettison it. wonder how that works

i get that the viper can not withstand the same amount of damage as a A-10 and thus is more fragile than other airframes. but still it isnt made out of cardboard or paper

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 5

• ED Team

It was more than one hit, and it was not small calibre 

12.7mm rounds and the fuselage is shredded.

Screen_230110_144430.jpg

Screen_230110_144532.jpg

I am affraid, that you are wrong. It was one hit. You can see it at 8:00:21. I tried this scenario many times with different enemies with same result.

BTW "Shredded" texture has no connection to impacts location. Another bug?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Michal said:

Even much bigger damage to one wing (I mean wing off) should end with half fuel capacity Pilot can close connection between FW/right and AFT/left tanks.

This behavior is a thing, but still exaggerated.

Only anecdotal, but: a few days ago I had an issue where due to server lag a taxiing jet clipped into me very momentarily, and the only damage decals I had from it was on the tip of the left wing not even reaching Store 8 and it lead to rapid fuel loss of the left wing tank and left internal wing tank. Total fuel dropped to abt 8.9k lbs.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, LieutenantFalcon said:

This behavior is a thing, but still exaggerated.

Only anecdotal, but: a few days ago I had an issue where due to server lag a taxiing jet clipped into me very momentarily, and the only damage decals I had from it was on the tip of the left wing not even reaching Store 8 and it lead to rapid fuel loss of the left wing tank and left internal wing tank. Total fuel dropped to abt 8.9k lbs.

Yeah without me having a track of this or anything i have experienced someone driving into someone else on a taxi way like 20m away and losing all my fuel from the explosion

• Like 1

Varzat_signatur.png