AH-64D VR

Zap921

6 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

This reflection is a thing that annoys me the most in VR. It isn't there in 2D or at least not that pronounced.
In VR it's like i always have a little mirror in the lower right corner of my right eye.

Me too! I turned off the Monocle Frame in the SPECIAL tab and that helped a lot, but the IHADSS symbology is still a bit too BIG

EDIT: Lowered my Resolution, and IHADSS is looking better sized. (And everything else still looks good) Might turn the Monocle frame back on and see how it looks now.

Edited by Recluse

58 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

This reflection is a thing that annoys me the most in VR. It isn't there in 2D or at least not that pronounced.
In VR it's like i always have a little mirror in the lower right corner of my right eye.

Each their own I guess, I am absolutely loving this detail and attention from ED. Funny how some brains work, a mate and myself have already adjusted visually with looking past it. This has only been after one gameplay session, quite remarkable though with how we all have had barely any time with the Apache yet people are already making conclusions on what is and isn’t right. 

Edited by Gunslinger22
  • Like 2

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

On 3/17/2022 at 12:51 PM, Zap921 said:

Looking forward to reading some updates on this as I only fly in VR with a Rift S

Here is a tip for you if you are using the Rift S and use the Oculus Tray tool.

Set a profile for the oculus software (C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\OculusClient.exe) and set the Super sampling to your liking. (I use 1.5). The real magic is there seems to be little to no penalty in performance in DCS.

Run DCS at what ever PD setting you use (i use 1.4) and enjoy better clarity. 

If you are already running a profile for DCS then the above wont work as you are essentially asking the headset to run two profiles at the same.

Works really well for me, have fun with your Apache!👍

VR things I would like to change

IHADSS Symbology is offset compared to the sweet spot on my Reverb G2. I would like to make it slightly smaller and and move it slightly outward. It is currently pretty blurry to to read the torque/speed indicators on the left. Maybe a position adjustment/scale feature.

George AI circles are in an even worse position further outside the IHADSS. Certainly there is some blank space in the cockpit like over the boresight reticle or just over the window or somewhere to make it be sharper to view.

Got my controllers set up using Wags video as a guide. Was getting ready to start training but could not resist. Loaded up the instant action on runway with engines running. Got her off the ground and flew around airport for a bit. Man it is gorgeous in VR and having the IHADS displayed in my right eye was cool. Managed a landing but it was pretty rough.

Now on to the training missions.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi,

I was pretty sure that DCS has some kind of memory leak somewhere, and the Apache has come to confirm it to me.

I fly a mission with many objects on the field, with my personal settings and I get 25-30 FPS (5 PFS less than other choopers, as expected).

I exit the mission.

I load the same mission just seconds after (Button "fly again")

Now I get 5-15 PFS with luck.

Also sometimes DCS hijacks all my CPU/GPU usage, and I have to kill DCS from task manager.

Any of you are having this kind of behaviour? I think that for those of you that have high rigs this is not a problem, because the memory leak is freed after some time. But for those of us that play with "just enough" rigs, is a killer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gunslinger22 said:

Each their own I guess, I am absolutely loving this detail and attention from ED. Funny how some brains work, a mate and myself have already adjusted visually with looking past it. This has only been after one gameplay session, quite remarkable though with how we all have had barely any time with the Apache yet people are already making conclusions on what is and isn’t right.

I never said it isn't right, how the hell should i even know, never seen an Apache in real live, let alone sit in one.
I just said it annoyed me (because i find it distracting).

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

As someone who used the jet hmds in both eyes for comfort I am resisting doing the same here to try and be a bit more realistic. I tried the moncule and the immersion is great but I'm not sure if I can keep it yet.... Overall this is an amazing module, being in the back seat with all that depth ahead of you in VR is really something. So far no FPS problems but not yet tried flir...

Yeah this thing is an absolutely beauty in VR. I have dreamed of this since back in the 90's with Longbow 1 and II. Now I am in that cockpit and OMG what an incredible experience. Currently learning cold start procedure but have flown her around a bit as well.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

49 minutes ago, A Hamburgler said:

I love the ihadss design and doesn’t bother me at all. I love being able to see my NVGs on the top of me head. Add a whole other level of immersion for me. 

Yeah it is very cool I must say.

Don B

VR works great on all other modules.

With the Apache - After about 10 minutes, I get a horizontal line across the screen and below the line it is all white.

Above looks good.

I am using an Oculus 2 and I have a RTX 3080

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davidrbarnette said:

Would those of you getting good performance in VR mind posting your specs and settings?

image.png

Rift S with 1.5 Supersampling @ 40 fps. Rig specs see signature.

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

On 3/17/2022 at 10:03 AM, JG27_Arklight said:

Plus side to helos.....

You can turn view range down since seeing 60 miles doesn't help you lol

Thats a very good point. I have noticed a FPS hit but still very playable, I am going to try that and see if that makes a difference. Like I said I am not having much of a FPS hit like some have reported. 

I have only done the cold start and running start in instant action in the Caucuses, so far my performance in VR is fine. About like I get in the Hornet. Will see how it progresses when I get to some other maps.

Don B

I found the CPU to be the bottleneck with this module, at least on my setup (9900K/5.0GHz, RTX3090, Varjo Aero at ~3000 horizontal pixels per screen/HIGHER SETTING config).  The visual quality is incredible in VR, one of the best cockpit experiences I've had.  Using my own training mission I'm getting very good GPU frametime 15-18ms, but CPU frametime can go up to 21-22ms at times.  So people with high-end setup who have poor framerate you may want to look at your CPU frametime with fpsVR.  Sadly, reducing rendering resolution or DCS graphics parameters, I found, have minimal effect on CPU frametime vs GPU counterpart.

So I think this is both good and bad news.  This means you don't need crazy top end GPU to run this in VR, but you will need to make sure that your CPU has as little overhead as possible (i.e. don't run stuff in the background that would eat up CPU cycle)--on the other hand, the game engine will need better optimization for multi-core CPUs.

For Intel owners who want easy overclocking you can try Intel's Extreme tuning utility to try to squeeze out more CPU performance, YMMV depending on your motherboard, thermal and cooling system.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

First time jumping into the 64 cockpit in VR with my Reverb G2, everything in VR went into super magnification mode. Any idea how to correct for this ? 

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, Shack said:

First time jumping into the 64 cockpit in VR with my Reverb G2, everything in VR went into super magnification mode. Any idea how to correct for this ? 

Do you have something bound or double bound to VR Spyglass zoom... under UI from the controls page.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Really pleasantly surprised by the VR performance of the Apache.

This is my first helicopter and it's a smoother VR experience for me than the F18 and especially than the F14.

I think one reason that the Apache works so well for me might be that the motion smoothing in the G2 just works better with the slower movements in a heli compared to the faster movement in a jet.

Edited by lax22

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

I admit that I am enjoying this new module immensely but I have a couple of quibbles with it...

First of all, I am seeing some performance slowdowns when flying in VR, Quest 2. It will run just fine for a while and then the framerate seriously tanks and I get the white bar across the bottom of my Quest.

Secondly, the HDU display, or IHADSS, is badly offset too high when in VR and I can find no way to adjust it. In 2D the HDU is centered perfectly.

I'm running a Quest 2, on a system with i9 10850K, RTX 3080 and 64 GB of RAM.