OV-10A Bronco mod by Split Air team.....and MORE

On 11/3/2022 at 8:33 PM, Frag said:

There was many changes to the editor in 2.8, so yes I guess it impacted its loading time.

The biggest issue is that all the textures are .png not .dds...hundreds of them

This not only impacts the Bronco itself but also the loading of all the other textures. Looks like DCS is really clogging up trying to load all these png's

I've converted them all to dds and it cuts the overall loading time for the map by a lot.

(I restarted the game between the 2 takes, the mission is just a single Bronco over Batumi, nothing else)

Edited by Eight Ball

1 hour ago, Eight Ball said:

The biggest issue is that all the textures are .png not .dds...hundreds of them

This not only impacts the Bronco itself but also the loading of all the other textures. Looks like DCS is really clogging up trying to load all these png's

I've converted them all to dds and it cuts the overall loading time for the map by a lot.

(I restarted the game between the 2 takes, the mission is just a single Bronco over Batumi, nothing else)

Hi @Eight Ball

which application and parameters did you use for the conversion? 

Thank you!

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

18 minutes ago, Hiob said:

which application and parameters did you use for the conversion? 

Thank you!

I converted the textures from the main texture folder and the liveries manually with paint.NET.

Then I realised there was another 250 of them in cockpit/textures and decided to try with a proper converter.

This is the one I've used: https://www.xnview.com/en/xnconvert/

You cant select a specific codec tho, I think it converts to DXT3.

converter1.jpg

converter2.jpg

Just make sure you keep the same filename (by default it will be {Filename}_result. Change it to just {Filename}

Edited by Eight Ball
  • Like 2

I've converted them all to dds and it cuts the overall loading time for the map by a lot

Hello,

Can you please  share the converted files? 🙂
Thanks a lot,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

13 minutes ago, Eight Ball said:

I converted the textures from the main texture folder and the liveries manually with paint.NET.

Then I realised there was another 250 of them in cockpit/textures and decided to try with a proper converter.

This is the one I've used: https://www.xnview.com/en/xnconvert/

You cant select a specific codec tho, I think it converts to DXT3.

converter1.jpg

converter2.jpg

Just make sure you keep the same filename (by default it will be {Filename}_result. Change it to just {Filename}

Thanks! That'll help.

Do you think there are other mods/modules with this issue?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

Hello,

Can you please  share the converted files? 🙂
Thanks a lot,

Eduardo

even better if you could share a link where to download the complete mod with the converted files. It would be great help for anyone using this great mod, thanks a lot in advance

1 hour ago, Fab8ball said:

even better if you could share a link where to download the complete mod with the converted files.

That wouldn't be right, as the developer's download link includes a facility for making donations.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

If you recollect some of the earlier posts you will see that I described this problem way back in Sep and offered the .dds 5 files up for both the main texture file and the cockpit.

My aim was to see if we could improve performance and It did indeed improve mine, significantly, but only one other person responded so I removed the link to free up space in my Dropbox.

I still have that zip files somewhere if I can find it again.   

Edited by crazyeddie
  • Like 5

Here are the converted textures

OV-10 Bronco dds Textures

Contains:

- converted textures for the external model, cockpit as well as liveries

- new entry.lua

Make a backup! You shouldn't notice any visual difference for the external textures and the liveries. You may notice a small difference regarding the cockpit textures, they seem just a tad less crisp to me but I'm not even sure. You may want to use only the external textures and keep the cockpit textures as png, you should still enjoy an improvement with loading times.

Feedback would be appreciated since the devs are considering converting all the textures for the next update 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Eight Ball said:

Here are the converted textures

OV-10 Bronco dds Textures

Contains:

- converted textures for the external model, cockpit as well as liveries

- new entry.lua

Make a backup! You shouldn't notice any visual difference for the external textures and the liveries. You may notice a small difference regarding the cockpit textures, they seem just a tad less crisp to me but I'm not even sure. You may want to use only the external textures and keep the cockpit textures as png, you should still enjoy an improvement with loading times.

Feedback would be appreciated since the devs are considering converting all the textures for the next update 🙂

Good Job! I‘ve seen your discussion with the devs. Thank you.

Will test asap!

• Like 1

Feedback would be appreciated since the devs are considering converting all the textures for the next update

Hello,

Just tested it, and it is a great improvement .. this is a short video loading one of my missions, using the original Bronco Mod:

and this is the same mission, using your converted textures:

On all the different load stage times, the time from START to ROLE selection lowered from 27 seconds to 22 seconds, and the time from FLY to having the cockpit fully loaded, went from 69 seconds down to 3 :thumbup:

Also, the fps in-cabin went up from 32-38 fps, to 40-47 fps ... so, all in all an excelent imrpovement 🙂

Best regards to both you, @crazyeddie and of course @dikennek

Eduardo

• Like 2

I don’t have a video, but can report the same. Significant lower load times, good performance (by feel, I didn’t do an proper A/B-testing), and no apparent decrease in visual fidelity.

I will keep the dds-files.

• Like 1

@Eight Ball With the dds files by Eight Ball the loading time and the performance are much better (no stuttering and fps drops anymore when I look around in the cockpit). Unfortunately the readability of the cockpit instruments is much worser than with the original png files. It seems as if they wouldn't be "anti-aliased":

With original PNG files:

PNG files.jpg

With Eight Balls DDS files:

DDS files.jpg

Edited by Ithronwise
  • Like 2

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, AMD Ryzen 3800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 250 GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1 TB (DCS World), Gigabyte G27QC Gaming Monitor, DelanClip Gamer, WINWING F-16EX Metal Flightstick with Orion2 Joystick Base, WINWING F-15EX II Metal Throttle with Orion2 Throttle Base, WINWING PTO 2 Take Off Panel, VIRPIL Controls Ace Flight Pedals, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, Windows 10 Pro

49 minutes ago, Ithronwise said:

With the dds files by Eight Ball the loading time and the performance are much better (no stuttering and fps drops anymore when I look around in the cockpit). Unfortunately the readability of the cockpit instruments is much worser than with the original png files. It seems as if they wouldn't be "anti-aliased":

With original PNG files:

PNG files.jpg

With Eight Balls DDS files:

DDS files.jpg

You're right. My visuals matches your screenshots. I wasn't aware of the degradation since I didn't make a proper A/B-testing. Perhaps you should tag @Eight Ball, I'm sure it can be worked out. All (most?) of the other modules also uses .dds after all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hiob said:

You're right. My visuals matches your screenshots. I wasn't aware of the degradation since I didn't make a proper A/B-testing. Perhaps you should tag @Eight Ball, I'm sure it can be worked out. All (most?) of the other modules also uses .dds after all.

Yeah, I think it has something to do with the compression level of the dds files.

Edited by Ithronwise
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, AMD Ryzen 3800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 250 GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1 TB (DCS World), Gigabyte G27QC Gaming Monitor, DelanClip Gamer, WINWING F-16EX Metal Flightstick with Orion2 Joystick Base, WINWING F-15EX II Metal Throttle with Orion2 Throttle Base, WINWING PTO 2 Take Off Panel, VIRPIL Controls Ace Flight Pedals, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, Windows 10 Pro

@Ithronwise@Hiob

Thanks for the feedback guys, I was afraid it would be the case. Manual conversion it is then 🥲

But @crazyeddie seems to have done this work already, let's see if he can find the files 🙂

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

But @crazyeddie seems to have done this work already, let's see if he can find the files

oh right! Althought I assumed he also did it with a converter. There are around 150 textures for the external model, another 150 in the liveries folders and +250 cockpit textures.

And thank you too for the feedback @Rudel_chw, sorry I forgot to mention you in my previous post 🙂

• Like 4

Hats off @Eight Ball! The cockpit texture loads almost immediately, actually well before the briefing screen shows up. And it looks sharper too!

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

15 hours ago, Eight Ball said:

oh right! Althought I assumed he also did it with a converter. There are around 150 textures for the external model, another 150 in the liveries folders and +250 cockpit textures.

And thank you too for the feedback @Rudel_chw, sorry I forgot to mention you in my previous post 🙂

Here you go - all in dds 5 format converted with paintnet, I think everything you need is in here, its what I'm using currently so it should be okay:  

Have just  added the few in game liveries I did have in the same format.  I only have 4. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rpx600g4bdthpl/CrazyEddies Bronco dds Textures.zip?dl=0

Link above updated to include liveries. 

Edited by crazyeddie
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, crazyeddie said:

Here you go - all in dds 5 format converted with paintnet, I think everything you need is in here, its what I'm using currently so it should be okay:  This does not include the liveries, sorry. I dont use the game liveries so have not converted them, but I can do it if anyone wants them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcr3eylrodnkwye/CrazyEddies Bronco dds Textures.zip?dl=0

When I follow the link, it says that the item has been deleted.  ???

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

1 hour ago, crazyeddie said:

Here you go - all in dds 5 format converted with paintnet, I think everything you need is in here, its what I'm using currently so it should be okay:  

Have just  added the few in game liveries I did have in the same format.  I only have 4. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rpx600g4bdthpl/CrazyEddies Bronco dds Textures.zip?dl=0

Thanks a lot mate!

Edited by Eight Ball