Request - General Map Boundaries

Sedlo
Go to solution Solved by OnReTech,

Thanks. Just to avoid confusion... We're talking about square outlined in red (like below), right?

Screenshot_2.png

Is this area that will be available in full on the release day?

Does the rest of the map shown (large rectangle divided into six squares) have any significance? Or is the square in red the final, planned map size?

Also, it's clear that this map will overlap with the Syria Map in some small extend:

Screenshot_4.jpg

(my rough estimation)

I wonder if it will be ever possible to combine two maps (load them simultaneously) to expand mission area...

Edited by Jascha
  • Like 4

45 минут назад, Jascha сказал:

Is this area that will be available in full on the release day?

all this area will be included in early access, but red area will be more detail (high detail zone)

Edited by OnReTech
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

@OnReTech

Please take note of the areas below sea level:

dead-sea-depression.gif

Dead Sea Depression - The lowest point on Earth
Elevation: 413 meters below sea level (approximate and fluctuating)

Latitude/Longitude: 31°32′N 35°29′E

The Dead Sea Depression is an extensive area of land that is below sea level. It contains the Dead Sea, the Sea of Galilee, a portion of the Jordan River, large areas of cultivated land and many communities. The shoreline of the Dead Sea is the lowest dry land on Earth. It is approximately 413 meters below sea level. However, this elevation is constantly changing. The surface of the Dead Sea rises and falls as precipitation, evaporation, irrigation, salt production and other natural and human activities consume the water of the Jordan River, the Dead Sea and its tributaries.

• Like 4

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

Well, the story goes that the F-16 initially couldn't. The MMC divided by altitude at one point, and would reboot in flight with a divide by zero error while approaching a base in Dead Sea. 🙂 Nobody thought about it back when they developed it in the US. Took them a while to track that one down, the story didn't say it, but I think it must have been INS altitude, since barometric can go below zero quite easily if you fly QNE (or just fiddle with the knob while on the ground) and radar one really can't, Dead Sea or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BaD CrC said:

Can DCS manage negative altitudes?

Yes* NTTR has Death Valley which is below sea level and there were a few bugs that had to be fixed for negative altitude. What is unknown is whether or not it is possible to cut into the infinite plain that is the sea. With NTTR they could have just lowered it since there is no accessible sea on the map anyway. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Hi, thank you for making the Sinai map.

I'd like to suggest that you map in high detail a few areas outside the projected square-shaped detailed area:

• Luxor and its air bases
  • Ras Banas with its air bases and naval base.

This would enable mission makers to recreate many IAF long range strike missions from 67 to 73.

Ras Banas.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

So basically the north of the red square will also cover Ramat David ? and Akrotiri at north

Any input on the architecture type based on era  ? back in the 50 Akrotiri was basically a field and English bombers used to take off here to bomb Cairo and other Egyptians airport during the the "Crisis of Suez canal" event being able to replicate theses era would be a plus.

• Like 3

On 9/7/2022 at 1:10 PM, OnReTech said:

@everyone

Thank you for your interest. In the near future we will make a FAQ with answers to all your questions.

Is this modern or historical map? 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

@Harlikwin

I'd say more modern but would love to be proven wrong.

From the announcement:

"The map is being designed to represent the 2000s and up to the present. It is planned to recreate about 40 airfields, both military and civilian: Wadi al Jandali, Abu Suwayr, Faid Air Base, Nevatim Air Base, Ramon Airbase, and many more."

And from elsewhere in the subforums:

On 9/6/2022 at 12:26 PM, Lace said:

Any plans for a 1950s/60s version of the map?  All these new maps are great but I feel the older post-WWII modules are being left out in the cold.

On 9/6/2022 at 3:48 PM, OnReTech said:

no, this is not planned at this stage of map development.

5 hours ago, Tengu said:

@Harlikwin

I'd say more modern but would love to be proven wrong.

From the announcement:

"The map is being designed to represent the 2000s and up to the present. It is planned to recreate about 40 airfields, both military and civilian: Wadi al Jandali, Abu Suwayr, Faid Air Base, Nevatim Air Base, Ramon Airbase, and many more."

And from elsewhere in the subforums:

Sad... No one cares about maps from the 2000's... The historical map would be far more cool and relevant say from 67...

• Like 5

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 9/16/2022 at 11:03 PM, Harlikwin said:

Is this modern or historical map? 

It is very hard to make a map that covers all historical events, we have just started working with ED and we really admire the graphics engine (TDK) they have made. Our team starts performance testing - this is very important, but sometimes we forget about it when you start flying over what you created.

Edited by OnReTech
  • Like 3

On 9/18/2022 at 5:18 AM, Harlikwin said:

Sad... No one cares about maps from the 2000's... The historical map would be far more cool and relevant say from 67...

Many do care for y2000 and beyond era, or Modern era, as you can see when you open MP server screen you will notice many people playing modern era and then one or 2 cold war servers. They don't spend time spamming forums with false information.

• Like 7

Il 6/9/2022 at 22:40, Jascha ha scritto:

I wonder if it will be ever possible to combine two maps (load them simultaneously) to expand mission area...

Well thought this one, dear mate. But I am thinking about the DCS maps' internal limits to let be handled by the sim...

and with them nothing can help, I am afraid, unless a radical change of the sim will intervene, I am afraid.

Just my one cent, of course.

With best regards.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Furiz said:

Many do care for y2000 and beyond era, or Modern era, as you can see when you open MP server screen you will notice many people playing modern era and then one or 2 cold war servers. They don't spend time spamming forums with false information.

No one plausibly thinks Israel and Egypt are going to war at this point, not since the Camp David accords. Syria Modern, fine thats a different deal. But this IMO would be far better as a historical map. But I get it, its easier to pull data off goggle maps to build a map, or however they do it, than try to piece a map together from historical imagery like ED did for the channel map. 

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 9:48 PM, JagHond said:

Well thought this one, dear mate. But I am thinking about the DCS maps' internal limits to let be handled by the sim...

and with them nothing can help, I am afraid, unless a radical change of the sim will intervene, I am afraid.

Just my one cent, of course.

With best regards.

On 9/6/2022 at 10:40 PM, Jascha said:

I have been thinking this thought about The Channel and Normandie maps as well, as I'm sure many others with me. It would most assuredly require, as you say, radical change to the core game. But I don't think it's out of the question, just not in the near future. 

I've heard ED officials talk about dreams for the future of DCS, and that includes world wide coverage. They can do that in two ways, either rebuilding the entire world, using Google or Bing, or expand and improve existing maps. Those who live will see...

• Like 3