BOLD CHEETAH (current version 2024-04-23)

VERSION 2024-04-23 - Fixed kneeboards missions 9 and 13

VERSION 2.9.A001a - Updated Oct. 26, 2023

-  Mission 04 - Fixed Briefing

-  Mission 12 - Fixed trigger so certain aircraft are not invulnerable.

VERSION 2.9.A001 - UPDATED OCTOBER 19, 2023 - Unlimited Fuel for AI Wingmen, Scritps/Triggers updated, Silenced Wingman in Mission 3 (eliminate spam)

Welcome to Bold Cheetah, a realistic and challenging 13 mission campaign for the DCS F/A-18 Hornet that will test both your and your aircraft to the limits.

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3326679/

Before we get into the details, there are some requirements that you need to be aware of before downloading and flying this campaign.

•    You MUST own the DCS F/A-18C Hornet Module
•    You MUST own the DCS Persian Gulf Map
•    You MUST own the DCS Supercarrier module.  NO LONGER REQUIRED
•    OPTIONAL: For realistic Iranian F-14 markings, download this amazing skin (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3304485/) by sadjad_vosoul on the DCS User Files section.  

Mission documents are included in the zip file.  Please read the Bold Cheetah Campaign overview for more details on installation.

Bold Cheetah is designed for a player who is proficient in the use of the DCS F/A-18C Hornet module and its weapons systems. You will also require knowledge of US Carrier operations and how to conduct operations off both aircraft carriers and land bases.

Examples of challenges you will need to be able to perform include:

1.    Case 1 and Case 3 operations, day and night
2.    Ability to meet time over target requirements
3.    Dynamic re-tasking in a fast-paced combat environment
4.    Advanced targeting pod and weapon system employment
5.    Formation flying.

In addition, familiarity with US military terms and abbreviations is helpful to understand what is happening once in flight.  A glossary of useful terms is located at the end of this guide to help you out.

INSTALLATION

This campaign is designed and tested for DCS the latest Open Beta version..  I will endeavour to keep it updated as new Open Beta versions are released.  I highly recommend players use the Open Beta version of DCS to get the most from this campaign.  This means it will not work well on any version of DCS that is not the latest.

Unzip the contents of the download to your C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Missions\Campaigns\en folder.
Since there is not currently an Iranian F-14 skin in game, I have used the amazing IRIAF Blue-Grey skin by Sadjad_Vosoul, which can be downloaded here:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3304485/

Download and extract that file into your C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries\F-14B folder.  If you do not have a folder named F-14B, then you can create one in that location, then extract the contents. 

If you do not do this, the Iranian F-14 in-game will visually appear to be an American Tomcat.

Once you download and install the campaign and skin, you will find it in the “My Campaigns” section listed as F/A-18C – Bold Cheetah.

SITUATION UPDATE JUNE 1, 2013

The USS Abraham Lincoln and its task group have taken up station in the Gulf of Oman, and will soon commence air operations in support of the invocation of Article 5.  The objective of our presence is to deter the Iranians from any military expansion in the region, and to show our allies that we are here for them.

Our goal is to provide support to the UAE governments in fighting the growing insurgency on the peninsula.  US, British, Canadian and French special forces are now on the ground, helping advise the UAE military in counter insurgency strategy.  The air wing will provide assistance to this effort, including Close Air Support over and on UAE territory, and air defense of UAE and Saudi Arabian airspace.

At this time, we will not be commencing any military action against any regular Iranian military force, nor will we violate the 12-mile Iranian territorial waters or 12-mile airspace boundary.  However, we will be ready to strike, if and when called upon.

It is hoped that once the regime in Tehran gets a taste of our presence in the region, cooler heads will prevail and they will de-escalate.

More information is included in the Docs folder inside the .zip file.

Author’s Note

As you may know, the release of Bold Cheetah has been delayed for quite some time.  

In fact, the campaign has been completed for well over a year now, but due to some real-life challenges I had to put off submitting it as an official, 3rd party developer.  

These challenges are continuing, and I foresee them continuing into the near future.  This situation has, unfortunately, caused me to pause my pursuit of releasing Bold Cheetah as a 3rd party, paid DLC.  

At the same time, I’m aware that I’ve been promising it’s been “coming soon” for far too long.  

I have decided to release the campaign, for free, into the User Files section of the ED website.  

I started working on Bold Cheetah back in 2018 and finished it up in 2021.  It’s been a lot of hard work, and I’m really excited for you to finally enjoy it and I look forward to your feedback.

Sedlo

new_title_copy.jpg

Bold_Cheetah_A1_copy.jpgBold_Cheetah_C_copy.jpgBold_Cheetah_A2_copy.jpgBold_Cheetah_B2_copy.jpgBold_Cheetah_A3_copy.jpgBOLD_CHEETAH_HORNET_DRIVER_SMALL.png

Edited by Sedlo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 16

Wow, that looks awesome!!  In the middle of a couple of other campaigns right now, but looking forward to trying it out.

THANK YOU for releasing it.  I would have gladly paid for it as paid DLC based on your previous work.  It's too bad that didn't work out for you.

• Like 2

Thank you so much for this amazing campaign!

Do you have Patreon or something like that? I am happy to donate the same amount as I would have paid for your 3rd party DLC campaign. You invested so much time as a developer and I am sure many people would like to donate, even this is freeware.

• Like 1

Asus TUF Gaming Z690 Plus Wifi D4 ** Intel i9-12900K ** RTX3090 Gigabyte Gaming OC ** 64 GB DDR4-3600 G.Skill Ripjaws ** Samsung 980 Pro M.2 ** Windows 11

First, excellent high quality work and I thank you for it, kind Sir.

However, this VR flier is finding very poor (stuttering) performance.

Anyone else?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Hey @Pixar!  I don't have anything set up at the moment, but I'll let you know!

@Steel Jawthanks!  I know there are some issues with 2.8 and VR at the moment.  Some have had performance issues in VR, some not.  I'm getting the typical performance I got in 2.7 at the moment.  I think I've optimized it as well as I can right now, but I'll certainly have another look.   Is there any particular part of a mission that you're experiencing issues?

Mainly on the flight deck, but its so bad its hard to get off the deck.  Once airborne it becomes acceptable.  Not YOUR fault, brother, SC is already hard on VR.  I doubt you can do much.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

3 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

Mainly on the flight deck, but its so bad its hard to get off the deck.  Once airborne it becomes acceptable.  Not YOUR fault, brother, SC is already hard on VR.  I doubt you can do much.

Gotcha.... Eliminating the statics on deck with the radio menu, F10 option can help a bit with  that.  Otherwise, lowering the graphic settings can help.  The starting on the flight deck is the hardest on FPS I find.  

Great work! This thing rivals paid campaigns. You are truly a saint for making this available for free.

Quick minor note - On mission 4, the push time in the kneeboard is :20, but I think it's supposed to be :30, as I was all alone when I pushed at :20! The voiceovers started and the AI started doing their tasks at :30.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I want to thank you for this great campaign! It's one of the best I have ever tried, and better than most actual payware campaigns! I would certainly buy campaigns from you in the future if you were to make more 🙂

Some of the things I really liked was the very immersive missions with lots of aircraft and things going on, as well as some great use of more interesting weather and night missions than just the usual day time clear weather missions which are so common. Some of the breath taking cloudscapes are absolutely gorgeous and I much of the time in transit just sit an admire the views 🙂

And the mission with the emergency procedure was a nice change 🙂

Just a few comments for improvement:

• It would be good to have an option to get GPS coordinates repeated (there is that option in one mission, but would be good for the others too). Sometimes I don't manage to write them all down before they disappear and then I have to restart the mission to get them. Particularly when coordinates comes in different format between missions, so that I might not be prepared for the format I am getting them in, and while changing format I have already missed the actual coordinates. Might be better to stick to one format only.
  • The briefings seem to often miss information or have erroneous information. I would like to have timing information (what time does the mission take place?). The weather information often does not match the actual weather. Some of the kneeboard pages are often missing from the briefing. On the last mission the route on the map does not match the actual route. Some of the callsigns and codewords used in the missions are not listed in the briefing/kneeboard pages.
  • While I recognize that not everyone likes refueling, in this campaign I was rather finding that I was usually coming back to the boat with way too much fuel and had to dump to get down to landing weight (sometimes coming back with more than 10 000 lbs). I was never close to need refueling. Could be interesting to have to conserve fuel a bit more, or have to do refueling.
  • The difficulty was good, except for the last mission which I found very hard - with the weapons and weather I was given I was always shot down in the target area... Even when I gave my self more counter measures.
  • On the first mission it was never scored as a success, even if I did everything I think the mission expected, and did land successfully back on the carrier.

But all these are just minor issues, and suggestions for improvement. I didn't find any really broken issues, and on the whole it was a one of the best campaigns I have ever tried 🙂

And last just some of the great views and memories from this campaign

Screen_221107_235049.jpg

Screen_221108_224825.jpg

Screen_221108_223623.jpg

Screen_221105_190910.jpg

Screen_221105_100039.jpg

@arneh, thank you so much for the valuable feedback!

I will go through the briefing docs and kneeboards to see where I can clean things up a bit.  Thank you.

There was a bug in mission 1, I had fixed it I think in version 1.03.  Not sure, if you have a later version, I'll look into it again.

Understood about AAR, I was trying to play it safe.  Certainly tank if you'd like to, it's always good to have more gas than you need, I guess.  Will consider this for next campaign.

You can press escape and look at the message history, so you can re-up some of the coordinates.  I will think about adding to the F10 as well.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

If we are in the middle of the campaign and upgrades released, what is the correct upgrade process to not lose progress?  Is it as simple as copying the new files?

Also, I just re-downloaded the campaign about 5 minutes ago and mission 4 briefing still states push :20.  Easy enough for me to cross it out since I saw the note for :30, but just FYI.