DCS now supports OpenXR natively

BIGNEWY

Hey guys,

I'm a little bit lost with my Valve Index right now. I use it very seldom in the first place and with the new update I'm totally confused.

Could some helpful angel with Index experience give me a step by step guide?

I understood that I need to select OpenXR inside SteamVR as runtime. Apart from that - what do I need to do for an optimal Valve Index - DCS setup?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Okay, so I am going to delete OpenComposite, revert to the original openvr_api.dll

For Pico4, I just start DCS from File Explorer or make a shortcut which force SteamVR in the command line, right?

I tried the method of launching from the VD desktop icon, but it does not seem to go to OpenXR.

So, how would I know that the DCS World is actually running in OpenXR or not? Yes, I notice that OXRTK, DCS.EXE is registered there.

Frankly, this is the best news so far, I was too happy I could not sleep until 02:00

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Hi,

I`ve got an issue in the update has broken my DCS to the point i cannot even boot into the menu. It hangs on startup. 

I`m running an 8kx and was perfect 5 mins before I updated. Previously I`m running open composite, open xr and pimax xr. The only thing I ran in openxr toolkit was the ffr wide setting.

I`ve tried different versions of pimax xr, disabling open xr, booting in open xr safe mode, deleting the open composite file, reinstalling it etc. but it will not get past that point. I cannot boot in open xr safe mode as it just hangs also.

Also others having the same ☹️

Any pointers?

opexr viewer.png

50FAD9EF-6F83-405C-87AB-7E618AE52668.png

F97E57BC-2659-43B6-A0AB-40035D775C05.jpeg

Edited by Olliecast

I sketched up what this changes for Oculus Link users; as for how to use it, mbucchia's comment covers everything on a fresh install; mods/past optimizations can make things *much* more complicated. Virtual Desktop users must use SteamVR or switch to Link/Airlink.

dcs-oculus.png

Edited by actually_fred
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

Previous OpenXR user with standalone DCS.
Since updating startup hangs and SteamVR insists on opening which is freaking irritating as I don't want SteamVR.

Was all working perfectly pre the latest patch, now it's totally fubarred and I haven't a clue where to start with this mess.

Deleted SteamVR and now DCS does start with OpenXR as it should, hardly ideal though as I need SteamVr for other programs.

Found the culprit.
For some reason in the WMR portal the setting for 'When I open Mixed Reality Portal, automatically start Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR' had checked itself. 

Edited by Georgio
  • Like 4

Dumb question.  Do I need to download and install OpenXR.  If so where do I get it?

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

8 minutes ago, AKA_Clutter said:

Dumb question.  Do I need to download and install OpenXR.  If so where do I get it?

No; OpenXR is a standard, not a piece of software; however, depending on your headset, you may need to download and install headset-specific software that adds support for OpenXR.

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

6 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

DCS now supports OpenXR natively 

Depending on which headset you have select the openXR runtime and DCS will work without any third party apps. 

Currently we are working on a crash if motion reprojection is being forced on. If you have reprojection on auto or off you will not see the crash. 

Tested and it works, still having 90FPS with Reverb G2.

Only I've noticed that gauge textures are horrible and before, they were crystal clear.

Before I was using OpenComponsite, all I've just done is: clean DCS installation directory, update to the last OpenBeta and launch without --force_steamVR

Just posting in case anybody else has this problem too!

DCS World_20230126_163312_NIS_50_20_L.jpg

I think many of you guys are a bit nervous.

For those who were using OpenComposite prior to yesterday update:

Step 1. depending on your install method:

• System wide installation: you can delete or keep the OpenComposite folder, it would make no difference after you do the next step
  • Per game installation: If you were using per game one you should restore openvr_api.dll file, if you dont have a backup you can run a DCS repair

Step 2. Depending of your headset

• SteamVR headsets: go to SteamVR options and make SteamVR the default OpenXR runtime
  • Oculus headsets: For Oculus users, go to your PC software options and make Oculus the default OpenXR runtime

Done, you dont need no more, OpenXR Toolkit is just an ADDON to add some features and tweak some settings for OpenXR, its not needed but you can still use it

For any specfic problem with a headset there are dedicated topics here and i think its a better place to ask than a general topic

Edited by 5ephir0th
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

2 minutes ago, oleuzop said:

Tested and it works, still having 90FPS with Reverb G2.

Only I've noticed that gauge textures are horrible and before, they were crystal clear.

Before I was using OpenComponsite, all I've just done is: clean DCS installation directory, update to the last OpenBeta and launch without --force_steamVR

Just posting in case anybody else has this problem too!

DCS World_20230126_163312_NIS_50_20_L.jpg

Have you checked if the settings for pixel density etc. have changed?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

For Varjo Aero and VR/XR-3 users.

Currently the native DCS OpenXR implementation forces the 4-screen Varjo mode ON and there does not appear to be a way to run it in the 2-screen mode (also the DCS VR window no longer shows the 4 screens as before). However, the cursor offset/mis-aligned issue persists in the 4-screen mode thus making OpenXR mostly useless for all Varjo users.

As everyone is reporting, you can still use the OpenComposite .dll replacement to use OpenXR and OpenXR Toolkit, etc.

@mbucchia Can you add this information to your original post so that all the Varjo users don't try to run ED native OpenXR and will have to default to SteamVR for now or OpenComposite .dll?

@BIGNEWY Is there any chance that the offset/mis-aligned cursor issue will be addressed as this has been an issue for over two years even in the previous Native Varjo implementation? Or at a minimum allow users to force a 2-screen OpenXR setting?

Thanks.

Edited by Morphine

• ED Team
Just now, zhaohaob88 said:

Use PimaxXR  game will crash!! 

check you are not forcing motion reprojection, it creates a crash, a fix will be coming for this. 
If it is not that post in the crash section of the forum with your dcs log we will look for clues

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

13 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Have you checked if the settings for pixel density etc. have changed?

I don't remember what it was before, but now it's 1.4

Haven't touched a single configuration. Will play around with values. I think I will have to increase some of the textures resolution.

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Morphine said:

For Varjo Aero and VR/XR-3 users.

Currently the native DCS OpenXR implementation forces the 4-screen Varjo mode ON and there does not appear to be a way to run it in the 2-screen mode (also the DCS VR window no longer shows the 4 screens as before). However, the cursor offset/mis-aligned issue persists in the 4-screen mode thus making OpenXR mostly useless for all Varjo users.

@mbucchia Can you add this information to your original post so that all the Varjo users don't try to run OpenXR and will have to default to SteamVR for now?

@BIGNEWY Is there any chance that the offset/mis-aligned cursor issue will be addressed as this has been an issue for over two years even in the previous Native Varjo implementation? Or at a minimum allow users to force a 2-screen OpenXR setting?

Thanks.

Varjo user here... given the issue with misaligned cursor + no reprojection I reverted to using my varjo through opnVR as I did before the update... i.e use the openvr_api.dll hack with the -force-steamvr command.   Works fine.    

• Like 1

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

3 hours ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

So, how would I know that the DCS World is actually running in OpenXR or not?

Two things, one is in your dcs.log, there should be a line with "INFO    VISUALIZER (Main): LAUNCH IN VR : SteamVR/OpenXR : oculus" and the second is that when you start DCS and land in the main menu, you will be positioned quite high so that you are looking across the wing of the jet in the hangar. From there you simply press your VR recenter button and your height should be set right in front of the menu.

• Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Click on the "DCS World OpenBeta" icon, SteamVR also starts. When the title screen shows (and shakes like crazy, typical SteamVR attraction), DCS World crashes. I check OpenXR line is present on the log and from the crash file, looks like the file GraphicsVista is misbehaving.

Uninstalled OpenXR Toolkit

Check that no WMR reprojection is on

It is Pico4 using VD. 2D version is still running fine.

Any suggestion is welcomed.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

@VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants @NatoAviator Try to get rid of any additional tweak first. Basically start with vanilla DCS and your VR runtime only. SteamVR with VD (VR Flight Guy) or plain WMR (NatoAviator). This will continue in the next months, because a lot will change. Most of the known tweaks will get old and deprecated.

Edited by RealDCSpilot

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

@RealDCSpilot I have cleaned and repaired but it did not work. Let me see what else I can do.

I remove the saved games directory and it still crashes.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

2 hours ago, AKA_Clutter said:

No. I see that you have HP Reverb so you have it already :).

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro