Multithreading Performance is Sensational in VR

Flextremes

11 minutes ago, Larry Brown said:

It locks up on the opening screen of DCS for myself and my friend. He using 4090 me 3090, both using HP G2. Any ideas?

Mine did that.  I Ran it once with the non-MT shortcut and that left the WRM portal open.  I then went to the bin-mt directory and launched the DCS EXE from there and it opened fine.

I then copied my DCS non-MT shortcut and edited to add the -MT.  So far that has worked.

It seems like there is a "learning" process with MT.  I have no clue if that make sense.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

38 minutes ago, Flextremes said:

How did you measure? You will not see fps increases, but both CPU and GPU frame times, performance headroom, and stutter reduction are massively improved. It is just so much better. I did not notice any degradation in LOD and viewing distances. It is almost dumbfounding you cannot notice the improvements. Did you start the DCS.exe from the Bin-MT folder?

Well pretty much every time I got less than 90 fps in sp I was GPU bound. I don't expect multithreading to make any noticeable difference in SP with this setup. Perhaps I should state it more clear than I did - my apologies.

In terms of LOD - I did not degrade but actually seem to be improved based on what I have seen so far. Terrain seems to be more complex, sharp and pronounced now even at high alt (I refer only to terrain ones). I don't see anyone else reporting this so I'm wondering if it is patch forced some sort of cleanup/shaders rebuild or what not.

Edited by sun4eg

I haven't tested stats but I can say that my time tonight on the server in the A-10 was butter smooth.  I noticed a visible improvement in my clarity while looking around.  Not sure what it is but something is definitely better.

Gear: Asus 690Z, i5 12600K / 64GB DDR5 / Samsung 2TB nVME / RTX 4090 24gb / TM-Warthog / x56 Throttle w/pedals / HP Reverb G2 v2, Tracker IR

Irish 1-1 | Maleioch

dcs sign.png

Just tried some other maps with MT after posting my initial thoughts and tried some heavey AI populated instant action missions, I now firmly believe I'm seeing no improvement in FPS in this first stage of the MT release on my rig, I can get better FPS my self by tweaking OpenXR Toolkit settings

Caucus CPU8.8/GPU 11.4
Syria    CPU8.8/GPU 13.4
Marianas CPU9.0/GPU 16.4
Channel CPU 8.8/16.5

Marianas still runs the worst as its the least optimized and has always run really bad even on a high end rig, Channel map whilst the CPU/GPU timings were similar felt smoother.

3 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

Just tried some other maps with MT after posting my initial thoughts and tried some heavey AI populated instant action missions, I now firmly believe I'm seeing no improvement in FPS in this first stage of the MT release on my rig, I can get better FPS my self by tweaking OpenXR Toolkit settings

Caucus CPU8.8/GPU 11.4
Syria    CPU8.8/GPU 13.4
Marianas CPU9.0/GPU 16.4
Channel CPU 8.8/16.5

Marianas still runs the worst as its the least optimized and has always run really bad even on a high end rig, Channel map whilst the CPU/GPU timings were similar felt smoother.

Because you are gpu limited and mt works for cpu only

Did a quick test, same Ready on the ramp mission, Nevada F18, pre-MT FPS 35-40 on the ramp. Post-MT 65 -75 FPS, 90+ in flight in VR, HP G2

AMD Ryzen 5600X, with AMD 6800 GPU and 64 Gb DDR$ 3600

Thank you ED!!!!

• Like 2

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

Holy guacamole ED...   My FPS went from low 30s on the ground to solid 45FPS... and smooth. So much smoother... this was a massive update for me, and I changed no settings. There's room to tweak this for sure, but, I'm insanely impressed.

(R5 3600, RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, Vive Pro 2, DCS says cpu bound)

• Like 2

3090 + 12600k OC'd to 5.0ghz

Reverb G2

I'm getting 60 FPS (Enigma's Cold War) and the control-pause menu is stating I'm CPU bound

OpenXR Toolkit is showing that I'm roughly 4-5ms on CPU, and 17ms GPU, so I'm confused whether the DCS frame timing graph is bugged or not.

I was hoping I could get 90fps without reprojection but that's probably a ways off until DLSS comes around.

5 hours ago, Larry Brown said:

It locks up on the opening screen of DCS for myself and my friend. He using 4090 me 3090, both using HP G2. Any ideas?

Was doing the same for me. I enabled the OpenXR runtime under steam developer settings. It now runs fine, although I'm back to my mouse freezing when I put my headset on. Two steps forward ...

Edit. Apparently my OpenXR companion needed to be updated. Now works natively without steam. 

Edited by KiloBravo

4090 with a 5800X3D and a Vive Pro 2 headset. 

Using fpsVR I'm seeing a good reduction in CPU frame times down to the 7ms point. At 2440x2440 I am still GPU bound to 11-12ms frametimes, but I expect when DLSS hits I may well be able to run at 90fps solid, without further hardware upgrades. 

So, it is not getting me to the next breakpoint, but it is significantly improving my margins. I'm *really* impressed by it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Khangirey said:

3090 + 12600k OC'd to 5.0ghz

Reverb G2

I'm getting 60 FPS (Enigma's Cold War) and the control-pause menu is stating I'm CPU bound

OpenXR Toolkit is showing that I'm roughly 4-5ms on CPU, and 17ms GPU, so I'm confused whether the DCS frame timing graph is bugged or not.

I was hoping I could get 90fps without reprojection but that's probably a ways off until DLSS comes around.

Not bugged, you're getting exactly the performance that you're supposed to. Your CPU is giving you a theoretical 250ish FPS (4ms), whilst your graphics card is giving you a practical 58FPS (17ms)

Therefore you're limited by your graphics card and you get your 58FPS

It's sometimes just easiest to use this calculator to give the FPS figures -https://fpstoms.com/

Edited by nikoel
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, gialo87 said:

Ok let me know if it works 👍

Worked 🙂
Though I had to reset the settings in windows registry.
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OpenXR_Toolkit

image.png

credit to Number481us in the Varjo Discord 🙂

Edited by Willdass
  • Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

MT update seems to launching my game with openxr. How to prevent that? I want to launch it with oculus app as openxr seems to running worse for me (still using old rift).

Edited by DB 605
typos
  • Like 1

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, DB 605 said:

MT update seems to launching my game with openxr. How to prevent that? I want to launch it with oculus app as openxr seems to running worse for me (still using old rift).

I wasn’t able to find a way to force Oculus. I’m in the same position, performance is much, much worse using open XR. 

is my frametime graph looking good ? lots of up an downs and cannot remember how it was in the past because I did not play for a few months.

null

image.png

:Ryzen 5800X | RTX3090 | 32Gb RAM | Nvme SSD Gen.4 | Reverb G2 | Virpil WarBrd Base | Constellation Alpha Grip / Virpil CM3 Throttle

My experience with MT

AMD 5800X, Nvidia 3080ti, G2, OpenXR

MT

I get a darker / redish VR hanger - looks to me like the lighting effect is not being applied

VR loading screens are gone

one entering the cockpit at the start of the mission I now see all the graphics load (normal EXE has everting fully rendered on entering)

If I have motion reprojection on (which is a must really) I get CPU No. 0 at 100% all the time.  If motion reprojection is not on the CPU's are more balanced but obviously jerky motion

Overall performance a bit better but not as smooth as normal EXE

Note normal EXE with motion reprojection I don't get a CPU maxed out

For me I'm going back to the normal EXE until the next round of fixes

BTW love the new blurred flat shadows option 🙂

• Like 3

-----------------------------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5800X @ 4.8Gz; MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk; GeForce RTX 4090 MSI Trio;  32MB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz; Samsung 980 pro M.2; Varjo Aero VR; Thrustmaster Warthog stick, Viper TQS throttle & MFD's; Monza SR-P pedals

1 hour ago, Brass2-1 said:

I wasn’t able to find a way to force Oculus. I’m in the same position, performance is much, much worse using open XR. 

Yes..hopefully someone will figure out if it's possible. Fortunately "normal" version still works without openxr and runs better after update but would really love to get MT running.

Edited by DB 605

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Voyager many people are complaining that 40x0 series GPUs on Vive Pro 2 is stuttering and laggy, unplayable. Are you not getting any of those problems???

I have VP2 and reluctant to upgrade to 4090 if I'm only going to get problems!

For reference: https://forum.htc.com/topic/14223-nvidia-has-changed-the-render-pipeline-framedrops-on-vive-pro-2-rtx-4090/page/21/

Thanks.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.