🧐 How Normandy 2 map works in VR?

YoYo

Guys, new video:

BUT I see here really BIG stutter and it's on 2D only (mosly cities areas). 😲

So the incoming map was tested in VR mode too? How it works? Im affraid the map will be unplayble if the stutters/poor FPS are present on 2D picture even.

Before I'll buy it perhaps I will wait for VR users opinions.  Any feedback about VR performance, welcome @MAESTR0.

If the map has poor perfomance now and can't hold stable FPS pls improve the performance before the release. This may cause more problems than postponing the release (example SA map at beginning).

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I have Normandy and the Channel map of course, so I'm generally at max discount anyway, but I'd like to enjoy this map N2 as well. The FPS benchmark for me is Syria, which works great and I think is well optimized.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

It's said in the video you posted itself, stutters aren't from the map but recording software. He says performance wise is literally same as Normandy v1.0. I don't own the map, yet, those are his words but it's clearly said.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

1 hour ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

It's said in the video you posted itself, stutters aren't from the map but recording software. He says performance wise is literally same as Normandy v1.0. I don't own the map, yet, those are his words but it's clearly said.

Yes it could be from recoding software however it will be nice if we will see something from any reviewer who uses VR too. Normandy 1 works great for me.

If you need me, I can test it 👌.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

On 4/6/2023 at 1:00 PM, YoYo said:

Yes it could be from recoding software however it will be nice if we will see something from any reviewer who uses VR too. Normandy 1 works great for me.

If you need me, I can test it 👌.

And all the reviews are in free flight, add lots of objects and the performance can change

6 minutes ago, motoadve said:

And all the reviews are in free flight, add lots of objects and the performance can change

Rescue wheel = DCS MT version for this ;).

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

The Normandy 1944 map runs smooth for me in VR (see my specs in the signature).

The Channel map though, despite it´s much smaller size, has never run smooth. As far as I have heard, this is due to the Channel map using splat textures.

I also have the Syria map from Ugra Media, which also runs quite smooth in VR.

So I´m confident that the new Normandie 2.0 map will run smooth too, especially with MT (at least once the most prominent bugs has been fixed f.ex. some lighting issues).

Something I would like to have answered is - When we have the Normandie 2.0 map, is there any need for still having Normandie 1944 and the Channel map installed ?

As far as I can see, will the Nomandie 2.0 map cover both areas.

Edited by fjacobsen
  • Like 1

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

8 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

. if people don't buy the new map but have the 44 map, and also have the relevant campaigns for it they are going to need it... 

Crikey, at least get your facts straight guys…

If you own Normandy 44 and choose not to pay for the full upgrade you still will get an update that makes ‘44 compatible with Normandy 2 so you can join MP servers. As Reflected has said this essentially makes Normandy ‘44 into Normandy “1.5”.

All of Reflected’s campaigns that use the Normandy map have been (or are being) updated to the Normandy “1.5/2” version.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Crikey, at least get your facts straight guys…

If you own Normandy 44 and choose not to pay for the full upgrade you still will get an update that makes ‘44 compatible with Normandy 2 so you can join MP servers. As Reflected has said this essentially makes Normandy ‘44 into Normandy “1.5”.

All of Reflected’s campaigns that use the Normandy map have been (or are being) updated to the Normandy “1.5/2” version.

And so will the ED campaigns for the Spitfire and P51, but unsure how long it will take.

If you want to fly campaigns on the channel map, you still need the channel map.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

7 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Sorry for the mistake there... Reflected stated at one stage that it would be too much work for him to re-do the campaigns for the new map.

That was at the beginning, when both ED and Ugra were a bit murky about N1-N2 mission compatibility questions and nobody knew how/if it would work. Later, when situation cleared up, Reflected could start converting his N1 campaigns after all. The Channel campaigns remain as they were, though, so you still need that map for them. Check out the latest relevant video on Reflected's YT channel for details.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

So far, where I flew is .... great. Looks like very nicely optimized map! BUT I wasnt yet in Paris or London, in VR for sure 😅.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Absolutely awful for me (Reverb G2, i7-11700K, RTX 3080Ti, 64Gb RAM)... currently been enjoying very smooth frames, having finally taken the decision to drop my G2 down to 60Hz (which took a bit of getting used to at first) and have been enjoying 60fps across the board with no need for motion reprojection.

In all my DCS VR experience, I've never been able to even go near any of 'Reflected's' excellent campaigns because of the level of detail & sheer volume of a/c in-mission ... until now, until MultiThreading. In all maps, it would be extremely rare to dip below 58fps with this new dialled-down 60Hz setup along with MT. Even smooth in Normany1, Channel & Marianas.

But so much disappointment this evening. I dove into Mission Editor, stuck a Spitty down at Kenley, nothing else ... and from the off, it was hovering between 25 & 34 fps with periods of heavy stuttering (sometimes even black screen stutters). I get that every map needs optimisation time etc but when everyone on youtube previewing duties say the map runs just as good as Normandy1 clearly isn't in VR.

I tried dropping various draw distance & scenery level settings down to medium & it made no difference in performance but obviously made the overall experience even less desirable with buildings 'popping' into view at relatively close range.

Thinking it was this new update, I loaded back up Reflected's latest Spitty campaign 'Beware Beware' on the Channel map and all just as smooth as has been the case in the last few weeks.

At this time, at least for me, Normandy2.0 is completely unplayable and no way on earth will it run any of the future-coming updated Campaigns in this current state with no clouds, one player aircraft & no AI.

A huge moment of deflation for this warbird VR nerd who's been longing for this map. 

Edited by skybaby68
  • Like 1

i9 14900K - ROG Maximus Z790 Hero - GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4090 - 64GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 XMP - Samsung 4TB SSD - Pimax Crystal - Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle & Joystick - VirPil AH-64D Grip - Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals 

Updated the sim today,  the new update made MT unplayable for me with wildly erratic frame times/stuttering/fps.  Went from GPU bound pre-update to CPU bound without changing settings on my side.  Didn’t have the time/motivation to try to tweak things to remedy it.  However; on open beta ST the new Normandy 2.0 was working very well.  FPS dropped at low altitudes over Paris, but was stable at 40-45.  Other areas 70-80 FPS.  High preset.  Tried it on instant action-free flight.

AMD Ryzen9 5950,  128gb ram,  rtx 4090,  Valve Index @80hz.  

I flew in VR for about 2 hours, and the map looked good to me.  Keep in mind that I flew with only one unit on the map, the one I was flying, but I didn't notice any stuttering.   I predominantly flew through the two big cities, London and Paris, and I shot some stuff as I went along, but the map is smooth in VR on my hardware.  At least without a lot of units on it.

Edited by Rex

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

London and Paris look stunning, overall great work.  I was surprised the FPS were as good as they were.  That said, these huge cities with thousands of objects does nothing for VR users.  Other than a casual high/slow flyby you'd never be able to play a sortie there due to framerate limits even at lowest settings.  FPS is also down in the smaller towns I had missions in, love/hate on this one for VR.  Definitely no love for VR users in this game.  Unfortunately, the update, while it looks awesome, reduced performance for VR even more.  I will now have to play this map less.

Edited by crazyave
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, crazyave said:

London and Paris look stunning, overall great work.  I was surprised the FPS were as good as they were.  That said, these huge cities with thousands of objects does nothing for VR users.  Other than a casual high/slow flyby you'd never be able to play a sortie there due to framerate limits even at lowest settings.  FPS is also down in the smaller towns I had missions in, love/hate on this one for VR.  Definitely no love for VR users in this game.  Unfortunately, the update, while it looks awesome, reduced performance for VR even more.  I will now have to play this map less.

I like how some people consider their own experience on a first release, early access map, as valid for all "VR users". Your mileage may vary and optimizations will come down the line. I flew 1 hour over Paris and London yesterday, as low as my Mi-24 would go, and it was really smooth. Certainly on par with other large cities in other maps, and a great overall experience.

I feel sorry for those with bad FPS despite better rigs than mine. But please don't generalize your personal case for everyone.

• Like 2

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

In general, smooth, with Paris slightly better than London. Sorry, shameless promo alert:

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Not flown around Paris or London yet as spawned in to a random place in the north of France in the Huey was was pretty much getting a locked 90 FPS with the Varjo Aero. Most settings on High in the Sim.

7800X3D, 4090 and 6000mhz DDR5 RAM. 

Will have to go look for Paris or London now!

EDIT : Well London seems to be a killer on the FPS as was getting 35-40 there

Edited by razalom

For me at least, and this is on a simple mission editor map, dropping down a spit on the south coast with no clouds, no other AI, wherever you are in the UK, if you so much as even 'look in the general direction' of London then the frames dip from 60-61 to 29-34 (I'm using 60Hz without Motion Reprojection in WMR). And yes I've even resorted to dropping things like terrain visibility & detail to medium but absolutely no change there.

France & even Paris does seem a better experience.

Meanwhile. All other maps, heavily laiden campaign missions etc, from this update and on MT; are as they were. Silky smooth 60fps near all times.

It's heartening at least, to know that the VR users having problems seem to be in the minority but with my i7-11700K, 3080Ti etc, I wasn't expecting quite this bad a performance hit. 

Edited by skybaby68

i9 14900K - ROG Maximus Z790 Hero - GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4090 - 64GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 XMP - Samsung 4TB SSD - Pimax Crystal - Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle & Joystick - VirPil AH-64D Grip - Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals 

Had to drop resolution to 75% to get anything near flyable. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark