POLL: Blufor Vietnam Wish List

peterbrownbyu

POLL: Blufor Vietnam Wish List  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Fixed-wing: What Vietnam-era Blufor module would you like to see?

• A-7 Corsair
    • F-8 Crusader
    • F-100 Super Sabre
    • F-101 Voodoo
    • F-102 Delta Dagger
    • F-104 Starfighter
    • F-105 Thunderchief
    • F-111 Aardvark
  2. 2. Rotary-wing: What Vietnam-era Blufor module would you like to see?

• AH-1 Cobra
    • HH-3 Jolly Green Giant
    • CH-46 Sea Knight
    • CH-53 Sea Stallion
    • CH-54 Skycrane
    • OH-6 Little Bird
    • OH-23 Raven
    • OH-58 Kiowa

On 4/11/2023 at 9:52 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

remember F-8J, A-7E, F-100D, OH-58D coming to DCS. Meanwhile, I mark F-105, F-111, AH-1G/F

The A-7E we're getting though is from the late 80s and I don't know how easy it would be to replicate an aircraft of Vietnam vintage (though we're due to get the AN/ALR-67(V)2, if I'm not mistaken, Vietnam era aircraft had the AN/ALR-45/50) and the OH-58D is from the early/mid 80s at the earliest.

Rest of them could fit nicely with Vietnam though and the F-105 and AH-1 get my vote.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Thanks 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 4/11/2023 at 4:52 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

remember F-8J, A-7E, F-100D, OH-58D coming to DCS. Meanwhile, I mark F-105, F-111, AH-1G/F

And not one of them are Vietnam era. To my knowledge there are no Vietnam era aircraft in DCS and only two on the way. The F-100, and A-1. The Mig-19 we have might be Vietnam, but I think I read somewhere that the IVA Mig-19 didn't have the same radar. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FlankerKiller said:

And not one of them are Vietnam era. To my knowledge there are no Vietnam era aircraft in DCS and only two on the way. The F-100, and A-1. The Mig-19 we have might be Vietnam, but I think I read somewhere that the IVA Mig-19 didn't have the same radar. 

For the sake of mission building ED's goal should be to have enough assets we can build a decent historic mode mission with the assets we have. So the fact the MiG-19 or 21 we have weren't used in the Vietnam war really isn't that important the goal right now should be having enough AI and flyable assets that would work with them and not letting the the perfect be the enemy of the good enough.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

23 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

For the sake of mission building ED's goal should be to have enough assets we can build a decent historic mode mission with the assets we have.

I don't disagree with that at all. Honestly if I could have this whole thing go back to the beginning and start over that overarching principle would be backed into DCS. But I do disagree that Vietnam can be simulated in a way that is meaningful with later post Vietnam aircraft. Is that what made the Vietnam experience so frustrating and terrifying for those that lived it, and so interesting to us, is that it was a point where technology had leapfroged ahead and all the rules had changed, and nobody really knew what. Those rules were. It was an inflection point in technology where the transition from basically WWII tech to what we would still recognize as modern tech was made. Not having the correct aircraft with the correct sensors, and the correct weapons isn't really going to capture that. 

• Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 9:28 AM, FlankerKiller said:

I don't disagree with that at all. Honestly if I could have this whole thing go back to the beginning and start over that overarching principle would be backed into DCS. But I do disagree that Vietnam can be simulated in a way that is meaningful with later post Vietnam aircraft. Is that what made the Vietnam experience so frustrating and terrifying for those that lived it, and so interesting to us, is that it was a point where technology had leapfroged ahead and all the rules had changed, and nobody really knew what. Those rules were. It was an inflection point in technology where the transition from basically WWII tech to what we would still recognize as modern tech was made. Not having the correct aircraft with the correct sensors, and the correct weapons isn't really going to capture that. 

I fully agree there are problems and they should be fixed, until then we have to work with what we have. I've said it before ED and the other developers need to focus on building ecosystems for their modules. An echo system involves a proper map, at least two playable modules, and period AI assets.  The MiG-21 Bis,  F-5E and at least one of the F-4Es inbound are from the mid-1970s and missed the Vietnam War and are better for Cold-war gone hot or a mid-eastern War. So they aren't the best planes for a Vietnam scenario however if we had a Central Europe map set in the right time frame, there would be some late-model Vietnam-era aircraft and early A-model F-teens. I don't know how well multiple variants of existing modules will sell, however, I do know I want the Thud and other Vietnam-era aircraft that we don't have at least as AI. 

Edited by upyr1
  • Like 2

Judging from the success Enigmas cold war server. As well as the success of the F-14, F1, P-47, and A-10. I would say they would sell pretty well. If they were priced reasonably I would say they would sell vary well. An early F-5A, early F-4 especially both a Navy and Air Force version, a propor UH-1, an early AH-1, a Mig-17, a proper Mig-21, a proper Mig-19. An early A-4. I suspect all of them would sell like hotcakes. You hit on the main problem but it's gotten a bit better. The Ecosystem just wasn't there for Vietnam. But now we have proper Soviet flack, the Pt-76. We need a proper early SA-2. The higher digit SAM mod has one, but it needs to be in the core. We need Vietnam specific ground assets. Remember a lot of stuff was air mobile and light weight. We need a map. It just seems so far away right now. But the jets are all simpler versions or closely related to jets we already have. I know most of would gladly pay for the map/assets pack. Egale Dynamics I mean the map would have the assets included, or one could purchase the asset pack at a reduced price. It seems like easy mony for all. The demand is there.

I will say that for the next few years I'd rather them flesh out the late cold War. The plane set is looking really really good. If even 2/3 of what's been announced or teased get released then we are going to have a really well balanced late cold war setup. We still need some Naval assets from the time. Please ED can we please have the updated Iowa class, sorry tangent. We also need a map, cough Germany 1980. But there is so much already in game and so much more on the way. 

Another area looking ok is the Korean war. The A-1, and FU-4 will fit right in With the P-51, F-86, and Mig-15. Although again we need the proper Variants to properly model Korea. But it's a bit closer. That and we need USSR late WWII assets.

Honestly I think these are the areas where DCS can really grow. With new core features already online, and more coming online, as well as the detail possible with new maps. I really think the best years of DCS are still out front. Having been on this ride since the beginning I can say that the last four years have been quite impressive. Comping the time pireiod from 2009-2019 to 2019-present its easy to see an accelerating growth in DCS. Let's hope it keeps going. 

• 4 weeks later...

If possible, I'd very much like to get post Vietnam versions of almost everything in the list, which is thankfully what's happening for the most part. After that, yeah sure why not.

A Vietnam era Cobra as the first and only Cobra would be as bad as a 2000s+ Cobra for example. 75+ to 80s maybe at most early 90s is where it's at for DCS imo.

That said, there are some aircraft which I'd be very interested in, and Vietnam was basically their last hurrah, so with those I have no problem with getting 'Nam era versions. These being F-105 and F-100.

But for F-111, A-7, A-6, F-4, give me post 'Nam versions please, and that's what's happening anyway.

• Like 3

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I wonder how many voters realize that the Cobra they are voting for doesn't have a turret mounted 20MM Cannon, missiles or an EO telescopic sight. It's basically a skinny Huey with a GL and 7.62mm minigun in the nose and 57mm rockets and gun pods on the wings. 

I voted F-105 and HH-3. I'm not really big on the Vietnam era and most of the options on the list I would rather see as mid 70's-1991 versions... I would also like to see a post Vietnam F-105D T-stick II and an F-105G Wild Weasel III as well. The original HH-3E Jolly Green Giant would be nice to have as it could also be used historically until the mid-80's.

Other options I would want would be the OV-10A Bronco, A-4B-F Skyhawks (although I really want an A-4M/OA-4M), B-57 Canberra, F-5C Skoshi Tiger, A-37B Dragonfly and A-26K Counter Invader.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

On 5/12/2023 at 5:09 AM, Vampyre said:

I voted F-105 and HH-3. I'm not really big on the Vietnam era and most of the options on the list I would rather see as mid 70's-1991 versions... I would also like to see a post Vietnam F-105D T-stick II and an F-105G Wild Weasel III as well. The original HH-3E Jolly Green Giant would be nice to have as it could also be used historically until the mid-80's.

From what it looks like that's what we'll be getting. The problem with the Thud, is that the Republic Archines were destroyed. I'd love to have multiple versions of the Thud. If I had my way we'd get both a T-stick and a non t-stick version I think the G and F could be their own modules. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly need a 'multi-preference'  voting system😝 Also would like to see a few more options on the list:

Cessna OA-37 Dragonfly

Pilatus (Fairchild) Porter

Fairchild C-123 Provider

Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar

Piasecki H-21

Sikorsky H-19 Chikasaw

Sikorsky H-34 Seahorse/Chocktaw

Bell Iroquois UH-1B

PS: Really would like a Cessna 337 but the Rhodesian "Lynx" AF variant.

Edited by GUFA
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...