DCS Newsletter discussion 14th April 2023 - Normandy 2 Preview | Open Beta Update | 4YA One Life Campaigns

BIGNEWY

7 hours ago, 71st_AH Rob said:

If the Patch Status thread said anything almost but TBC, it would not be an issue.

You know if it said Wed 7 June, to celebrate D-Day, you could hype all you like and there would be no complaints.  Then you could say it was imminent all you liked and people would happily know that it was next update, event though it was at least seven weeks away.

Normandy D-Day? Then it would be celebrating D-Day+1, would it not? Or was I in the dark most of my life?

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

21 minutes ago, Gierasimov said:

Normandy D-Day? Then it would be celebrating D-Day+1, would it not? Or was I in the dark most of my life?

As 7th June is a Wednesday this year and Wednesday is mostly patch day the OP refers to this and not the actual D-Day 6th June, I guess.

I would like to know stable version update schedule. Last stable is from Dec. 2022. I'm only doing SP stuff I don't really want to mess with OB but want to benefit from latest changes too. Would like to see stable update before releasing new modules/maps, which will delay stable push even further away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gulredrel said:

but want to benefit from latest changes too. 

I do 100% single player and 100% open beta. There is no issue, if there is a bug that affects my fav module, I use another module for the time being or if let's say Hornet A2A was bugged, I focused on traps and A2G ....

That way: 

1. I am "not affected" by bugs,

2. Benefit from latest changes, 

3. Have a chance to find and report bugs to make the product better when those get resolved. 

• Like 3

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

2 minutes ago, Gierasimov said:

I do 100% single player and 100% open beta. There is no issue, if there is a bug that affects my fav module, I use another module for the time being or if let's say Hornet A2A was bugged, I focused on traps and A2G ....

That way: 

1. I am "not affected" by bugs,

2. Benefit from latest changes, 

3. Have a chance to find and report bugs to make the product better when those get resolved. 

I too play singleplayer 99.999% and use open beta. Even with the rollout MT which has caused more bugs than in a long time. It was still perfectly playable and the major "bug" that bothered me was in no way important for playing the game(it only affected my ability to capture video in VR) so yeah. Join the dark side/Collective and go open beta.

I also doubt there will be a new stable patch until all the outstanding issues with MT is sorted and that can take some time.

• Like 3

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

At the end of the day with all the hype and YT previews of the F15, Sinai, Normand 2, F4, Corsair, Koiwa & the other modules we have been shown, in the end it will come down to everyone's personal wealth in these tough times as there is a lot less $$$ to go around today than there was 3 months ago.

If they all drop in the next 3 months then I my self will need to make choices on what I get as I cant afford all of them at once as it will be a lot of $$$, Choices will need to be made, luckily the N2 map will only cost me $10 so I will get that when it drops, the rest I'm not really bothered to much about all the hype this time and dont really care if a module drops or not 🙂

Edited by Hotdognz

19 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

I too play singleplayer 99.999% and use open beta. Even with the rollout MT which has caused more bugs than in a long time. It was still perfectly playable and the major "bug" that bothered me was in no way important for playing the game(it only affected my ability to capture video in VR) so yeah. Join the dark side/Collective and go open beta.

I also doubt there will be a new stable patch until all the outstanding issues with MT is sorted and that can take some time.

Okay, thanks. Maybe I need to think about this.

Can I just copy saved games input profiles and so on to the OB installation and my keyboard / joystick / throttle mappings will work Or do I need to re-map everything?

1 minute ago, gulredrel said:

Can I just copy saved games input profiles and so on to the OB installation and my keyboard / joystick / throttle mappings will work Or do I need to re-map everything?

Don’t know. I use steam.

4 minutes ago, gulredrel said:

Why don't you just try it? OB version runs complete seperate from Stable and uses its own saved games directory. And if you use the DCS Updater and Launch Utility you can easily manage both installations from one user interface (without MT version atm. but that should be cured with the next big update to this wonderful tool)

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

• ED Team

folks stay on the thread titles topic and dont insult each other thanks

thread cleaned

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, gulredrel said:

Should work if you copy mapping from one saved games to other, I do that between OS installations so it should work the same between DCS versions.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gulredrel said:

I copy input folders between openbeta and stable versions, works fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

10 hours ago, gulredrel said:
10 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

I respectfully disagree with people saying VR has suffered a negative impact, and especially recording.  My friends and I are having no issues as the below video demonstrates and after the latest patch to improve MT, it got a lot better.  I would venture to say it is hardware or settings related to your performance issues.  VR can be a complex beast to tackle with DCS when setting up your VR settings.  It goes well beyond the internal game VR settings to get it right.  You need to make proper adjustments within NVIDIA settings on your PC as well as setting within your VR launcher, ex......steam VR and PITOOL for us PIMAX users.  I promise you, it works and works great, but patience is the ultimate solution to ironing out the VR settings in DCS.  Nothing great is ever achieved quickly!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Devil 505 said:

I respectfully disagree with people saying VR has suffered a negative impact, and especially recording.  My friends and I are having no issues as the below video demonstrates and after the latest patch to improve MT, it got a lot better.  I would venture to say it is hardware or settings related to your performance issues.  VR can be a complex beast to tackle with DCS when setting up your VR settings.  It goes well beyond the internal game VR settings to get it right.  You need to make proper adjustments within NVIDIA settings on your PC as well as setting within your VR launcher, ex......steam VR and PITOOL for us PIMAX users.  I promise you, it works and works great, but patience is the ultimate solution to ironing out the VR settings in DCS.  Nothing great is ever achieved quickly!

No, it was that the VR mirror got stretched,  so you had to use a different method to record video and that was less than ideal. It was fixed in the latest patch. But it did cause me much trouble for a few days. But again. It didn't affect the game itself only recording. 

17 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

No, it was that the VR mirror got stretched,  so you had to use a different method to record video and that was less than ideal. It was fixed in the latest patch. But it did cause me much trouble for a few days. But again. It didn't affect the game itself only recording. 

I cannot stress enough the best way to record in VR is using OBS with OpenVR plugin.  It records what is in the HMD, not the desktop.  It will eliminate the stretching issue.  Below was recorded last night on the latest MT.  MT is starting to crush it.  This was a good time!

22 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

Is today gonna be the day? 

historically have there been any product releases on a thursday? im pretty sure virtually all of them coincided with a friday newsletter

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Just now, Devil 505 said:

I cannot stress enough the best way to record in VR is using OBS with OpenVR plugin.  It records what is in the HMD, not the desktop.  It will eliminate the stretching issue.  Below was recorded last night on the latest MT.  MT is starting to crush it.  This was a good time!

Open vr does not work when you use openxr.

1. Openxr and open vr  plugin is not as good as using full screen mirror capture, because 1, you need to move the window around and will give a more zoomed in effect. 2. It often the recording will be more laggy. I did get openxr plugin to work ok,  but as soon as the stretch bug was fixed I went back to mirror capture as it's better quality,  smoother and you don't need to fiddle with the capture screen to make it fit.

33 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

1. Openxr and open vr  plugin is not as good as using full screen mirror capture, because 1, you need to move the window around and will give a more zoomed in effect. 2. It often the recording will be more laggy. I did get openxr plugin to work ok,  but as soon as the stretch bug was fixed I went back to mirror capture as it's better quality,  smoother and you don't need to fiddle with the capture screen to make it fit.

I fly with a PIMAX so when I was using Openxr, I had to use Pimaxxr prior to MT.  Open VR plugin worked fine with Pimaxxr, but you are correct, it does not work with Openxr. 

Now that MT has been released, I completely removed Pimaxxr and run solely off of MT.  I run the standalone version of DCS (not steam) but use Steamvr for PIMAX.  You just have to go into your steamvr settings and select run openxr runtime once and you are good to go. You do not actually need Openxr installed anymore.

As far as getting the image centered correctly with OpenVR, you are correct.  It takes some adjusting to get it where you want it. I have emailed the person who created the OpenVR plugin in an attempt to see if we can get both eyes activated in the pluggin for full view, but no response.

I have not had any luck getting the image quality or performance I want out of recording from the desktop in VR.  It is not as clear and crisp as OpenVR and there is always the issue of a stretched image like you stated or the fish eye.  I have yet to find a desktop solution where it records out of the box without some form of editing or manipulation to get the image correct as well.  If you have a YouTube channel or videos you record, I would like to see them (edit, I just found your YouTube channel, looks good, but you can still tell it was recorded from the desktop).  I am always open to learning something new and do not know everything. I know a lot of people record in VR from the desktop, and not to boast, very rarely do I see anyone's VR videos that look as good as mine. Always open to new ideas though incase OpenVR becomes obsolete someday.   

Edited by Devil 505

On 4/18/2023 at 4:13 PM, NineLine said:

I dont remember one time where we had a delay on an actual release date and didn't state why there was an issue.

We generally do not hype far ahead of time, we do share updates and things we feel our customers would find interesting, 9 times out of 10 its other users making the hype or suggesting dates not us. 

I would not have posted what I did if the map was not going to be released for another year.

We dont give dates in general outlined clearly in your post why we dont. 

Keep doing what you are doing Nine/ED.

Long time customer. Will continue to be.

Product is amazing. Thanks for all your, and the ED team's work.

• Like 3

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

6 minutes ago, SmirkingGerbil said:

Keep doing what you are doing Nine/ED.

Long time customer. Will continue to be.

Product is amazing. Thanks for all your, and the ED team's work.

Somebody call a priest!

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"