What do we know about the Second World War in this region?

OnReTech

Egypt in WW2 - history and commemoration | CWGC

Why Was Egypt of Strategic Importance During WWII? - The Classroom

I started looking and looking for information about the second world war, there is not much information, except for what is on the Internet (Wikipedia was my main source).

I found some pictures, but this does not give a complete picture of the fighting. I also found maps, on this source, of course there are not many of them, but at least like this:
https://www.oldmapsonline.org/en/Al_Qahirah#bbox=30.65074010712502,29.340328798767274,32.1770948325,30.51534107021223&q=&date_from=1960&date_to=1980&scale_from=&scale_to=

I did not find:
- what the airfields looked like (but their location can be found, i mean Egypt side)
- shelter objects
- Israeli airfields
- etc..

any thoughts? please advise

Edited by OnReTech
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

British-Axis-campaigns-in-North-Africa-W

Most of the fighting was West of El Alamein as far as I know, but I'm far from an expert.  I did manage to find some photos of US dirt airstrips in North Africa, but I'm not sure where they are from.  Looks like mostly tents for buildings and the aircaft just parked on hard packed dirt and sand.  I would assume this would be pretty standard for the various Allied landing grounds some of which were probably in the Sinai map area although I couldn't tell you where.North African airfield in desert in late 1942 | The Digital Collections ...B-25 bomber taking off from a desert airbase, North Africa (probably ...

Here's an RAF Blenheim parked at a base.  Could be anywhere in the Med region though.  Might be Malta so it probably doesn't help here.

RAF Squadrons 1942 > WW2 Weapons

I think it'd be great if you guys did something for the DCS WWII community with a little bit of the North Africa region or whatever fits your current map plan.  It would be a nice change from the England/France area we have right now.  Sorry I couldn't be more help, but hopefully it helped at least a little.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

8 hours ago, OnReTech said:

Egypt in WW2 - history and commemoration | CWGC

Why Was Egypt of Strategic Importance During WWII? - The Classroom

I started looking and looking for information about the second world war, there is not much information, except for what is on the Internet (Wikipedia was my main source).

I found some pictures, but this does not give a complete picture of the fighting. I also found maps, on this source, of course there are not many of them, but at least like this:
https://www.oldmapsonline.org/en/Al_Qahirah#bbox=30.65074010712502,29.340328798767274,32.1770948325,30.51534107021223&q=&date_from=1960&date_to=1980&scale_from=&scale_to=

I did not find:
- what the airfields looked like (but their location can be found, i mean Egypt side)
- shelter objects
- Israeli airfields
- etc..

any thoughts? please advise

What does it mean? Do you think about WWII version too? 😎

• Like 2

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

As you’ve already mentioned, the majority of the conflicts were west of the planned map.

The only other combat that I remember reading about were some local revolts in Iran or Iraq, which probably didn’t even need air support.

There was some combat in the Levant, but that would be better covered by the Syria map.  In short, the Vichy French decided to fight allied (primarily British) forces.  Again, I don’t remember reading about any air power involvement.

A more appropriate use of the map with warbirds would be the 1947-1948 first Israeli war, when pretty much every nation around Israel decided to give them a hard time.  There was a real mix of aircraft in use, with some Israeli aircraft using what were basically Czech built Me109s

• Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Well El-Alamein is on the west side of the map... just!

This would be the extent for large scale WW2 operations, however the WW2 asset pack is very limited in what it could usefully supply in terms of chronologically prototypical units to flesh out such a scenario... much earlier versions of Shermans, Panzers et al would be necessary to realistically recreate that battle, let alone the aircraft models; you'd need Spitfire Mk.Vs, Hurricane Mk.II/IV, Kittywhawk Mk.IIs, Bf 109F-2/4 and Fw 190A-3 at a minimum, for realistic player aircraft. The Ju 88A works however, but the A-20G Boston is a later variant and not appropriate. 

Israel did not exist as a nation, it was still Mandatory Palestine. Jordan saw no fighting in it's territory, likewise Saudi Arabia. There were some limited actions against an Axis sponsored coup in Iraq in 1941 but this is outside the scope of the Sinai map.

• Like 3

If you guys have plans for a North African WWII map it would probably have to be a separate map since the previous posts have mentioned that most of the fighting took place in western Egypt and Libya.For the current map you can make a historical map for conflicts like the Israeli war of Independence,1956 Suez Canal War and the Six Day War & 1973 YK War.If you want to start making aircraft like CheckSix Simulations is doing after their map.A WWII warbird would be the best one to start with.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OnReTech said:

ah no, just curious about this question

If you deleted probably 80% of the buildings and aged the rest, it would be IIWW version so not a big deal 😉.

• Like 2

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance of a WW2 version? I don’t fly warbirds though.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

It’s also the area that the SAS started.

For a good read, look up the book ‘The Phantom Major’ by Virginia Cowles

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/26/2023 at 9:24 PM, Nealius said:

Closest you could do to WW2 would be the Israel-Egypt conflict with Spitfires on both sides, and 109s standing in for the S-199 in Israeli service. 

Honestly the best historical map for this would be circa ~1970. I'm sure there is a ton of declassified Corona imagery of the area due to the fact you had 2 wars there 67/73 in very short order so while not quite "google" maps ease of access, the actual imagery does exist to pretty good levels of resolution (6 foot resolution). 

https://www.usgs.gov/centers/eros/science/usgs-eros-archive-declassified-data-declassified-satellite-imagery-1

And aside from doing the airbases, you'd basically just be deleting most of the cities on the map and maybe adding farms, as the were like 1/5 the size or something like that in terms of population. 

Yuup... Here are some "large" area photos, there a ton more in more detailed resolution too. Like 37 pages worth with IDK how many images per page 50? 
null

image.png

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 9/10/2023 at 5:12 PM, Mav87th said:

There are some clashes post WWII with WWII era aircrafts. Like Checz Avia's (109G's late model and different engine) and British Spits/Hurricanes. 

Yeah the 1948 air war was something else. Lots of cool stories about how the IAF begged, borrowed, or stole and airforce. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).