Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Will Jester II be a grown up ?

Extranajero

If anything, the F-4 backseater should quip and joke even more (and way filthier) than jester, as fighter pilot culture got way more serious towards the end of the cold war until it became the church going eagle scout troop it is today.

Edited by schurem
  • Like 14

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

A switch would be nice.  Seems like the commentary, particularly when it's time to work, is a Hollywood construct in the first place, but it a pilot/RIO pair would come to terms about cockpit discipline in the air.

We should be able to restrict Jester to job-related comms and squelch the commentary.  That doesn't seem overly difficult from a code perspective; just need a flag on the sound files, or even a sort into folders.

Like everything, all it takes is time and the right place on a priority list.  I'd like to think they'll go back and improve Jester once they get Clown written.

• Like 1

The only thing worse than gamer white knights who defend their chosen game developers with a fervor bordering on the religious, are entitled whiners who believe that developers should owe them their souls. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

I found the solution and it is pretty easy. 

Heatblur heared the gripes and implemented the ICS Volume knob. If you turn it all the way down, Jester will behave and act grown up, listening in awe to his master in the front commands and work them flawlessly. 

• Like 3

On 7/9/2023 at 2:29 PM, Temetre said:

Didnt they call the F-16 Viper partialy as a reference to Battlestar Galactica? Seems to fit the kind of humor Jester shows pretty well. Top Gun was also a huge cultural influence when it came to planes. Idk why you think those jokes are a reddit thing, the average redditor doesnt got much humor.

Is a bit weird to get so annoyed by jokes imo.

Who called the F16 a Battlestar Galactica ?

1 hour ago, freehand said:

Who called the F16 a Battlestar Galactica ?

You misunderstood. The F-16's official name is Fighting Falcon, named after the USAFA mascot. The alternate name "Viper" for the F-16 was taken from the name of the fighters spacecraft in "Battlestar Galactica". 

null

image.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/11/2023 at 1:14 AM, Lurker said:

The only thing worse than gamer white knights who defend their chosen game developers with a fervor bordering on the religious, are entitled whiners who believe that developers should owe them their souls. 

No, the worst are the customers who wouldn't recognize a clue if you wrapped it around a LART and beat them over the head with it, then demand you fix their internal computer/networking problems because obviously it's all your software's fault they can't do anything.

There is nothing in the (computer) world scarier than "my <insert relationship here> knows a lot about computers...".  It's the people who think they know what they're doing that cause the most trouble.

The second worst are the entitled gamers.

I simply require HB to write their code to my specifications, which might change at any given moment.  That seems eminently reasonable to me.  🙃

• Like 4

TBF, I think it might've been named after the reboot one, actually (the old show's Vipers didn't look a whole lot like the F-16). Early on, what we call the Viper was known as "The Electric Jet" (a reference to both the GE engine and its FBW) or simply "Falcon". The nickname everyone knows about came surprisingly late, considering that the F-16 came about in the 70s.

If ED ever makes an F-16A, they should use "Electric Jet". 🙂 

3 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

TBF, I think it might've been named after the reboot one, actually (the old show's Vipers didn't look a whole lot like the F-16). Early on, what we call the Viper was known as "The Electric Jet" (a reference to both the GE engine and its FBW) or simply "Falcon". The nickname everyone knows about came surprisingly late, considering that the F-16 came about in the 70s.

If ED ever makes an F-16A, they should use "Electric Jet". 🙂 

No, it was the original series. I remembered it myself, but did google searches to confirm my memory. The original series was 1978, and the name seems to have been first purposed around 1980. Seems the jet didn't have an official name yet, and pilots were suggesting Viper, taken from the TV show. The name Fighting Falcon became official that same year (I think).

Edited by Cab
  • Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 7:27 PM, Slippery Pete said:

They might be the best at making modules, but unfortunately Heatblur is wrapped in the reddit meme cringe humor bubble and they've it leak into a combat sim that it has no business in.  I've gone in and manually deleted several audio files in Jester's sound folder.  Anyone can do this without issue, just delete the speech files you don't like.  Jesus, even when I was a kid I didn't have such an awful sense of humor as they do.

Do you know any fighter pilots?  Jester’s humor is realistic if a bit repetitive 

• Like 3

On 7/9/2023 at 8:10 PM, schurem said:

If anything, the F-4 backseater should quip and joke even more (and way filthier) than jester, as fighter pilot culture got way more serious towards the end of the cold war until it became the church going eagle scout troop it is today.

Watching the Mover ruins movies youtube series: in the episode dealing with the flight of the intruder, there's an "emotional guy" in the move, that yeah probably was emotional guy in the 70s and maybe even early 90s when the movie was made, but the two real pilots say that guy got nothing on the current crop of pilots, he would be hardcore next to them. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

1 hour ago, Gunfreak said:

Watching the Mover ruins movies youtube series: in the episode dealing with the flight of the intruder, there's an "emotional guy" in the move, that yeah probably was emotional guy in the 70s and maybe even early 90s when the movie was made, but the two real pilots say that guy got nothing on the current crop of pilots, he would be hardcore next to them. 

Old guys always say crap like that about the young lads coming in, it’s exactly the same in the army.

3 minutes ago, Q3ark said:

Old guys always say crap like that about the young lads coming in, it’s exactly the same in the army.

Mover/C.W. Lemoine is 40. Well within the millennial generation and less then 3 years older than me, so wouldn't call him old guy. I don't think any Gen Zs are old enough to be fighter pilots yet. So he's referring to his own age group mostly I would think.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Read the book "From F-4 Phantom to A-10 Warthog" by Steve Ladd and you will get a phenomenal encyclopedia of fighter pilot humor. After which it should be obvious that jester's humor is extremely immature, just like that of the pilots of the time.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

Mover/C.W. Lemoine is 40. Well within the millennial generation and less then 3 years older than me, so wouldn't call him old guy. I don't think any Gen Zs are old enough to be fighter pilots yet. So he's referring to his own age group mostly I would think.

40 is old for the military. I can’t speak for the air force but after 20 years in the army your knees and back just start to fall apart at that age. Most Apache pilots I know are in their early 30’s the newer guys late 20’s most 40 year olds are coming up on their discharge date, some extend and stay on but most will get out.

1 hour ago, Gunfreak said:

Have you ever considered that you are old.

• Like 3