This Aircraft is Unforgiving on Landing!

JOEM423

I'd actually say that she's erring on the side of being too forgiving. The brakes seem too effective. (Not that I'm complaining).

As for over-steering it, I'd agree with Nodak.

• Like 2

Saitek X52 | 4770k@4.3GHz | MSI 1080GTX Armor OC | TrackIR 5

Unlike some other modules, NWS is enabled on touchdown, so you need to use the paddle switch to disconnect it until airspeed drops sufficiently for the rudders to become ineffective, usually around 60-70kts.  

• Like 2

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

NWS should not be an issue while you're aerobraking with the nose wheel off 🙂  You should normally be aerobraking until about 90 KIAS or so.  Hopefully during that time you've been keeping the aircraft on centerline, so when you finally drop the nose you'd just need to brake in a straight line!

• Like 6

Compared to the Viper it's a dream.  Also, isn't the NWS ALWAYS on?  The NWS button is for High Gain.  Or is there a way to turn it off completely?  If so, I've never used it.  But anyway, I find that the Viper is a bit easier to get to the surface gently but the Strike Eagle is much easier to get to a stop, in a straight line, once I've touched the pavement.  

• Like 7

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

20 minutes ago, 311Gryphon said:

Compared to the Viper it's a dream.  Also, isn't the NWS ALWAYS on?  The NWS button is for High Gain.  Or is there a way to turn it off completely?  If so, I've never used it.  But anyway, I find that the Viper is a bit easier to get to the surface gently but the Strike Eagle is much easier to get to a stop, in a straight line, once I've touched the pavement.  

NWS is disengaged with the paddle switch on the stick I believe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Weaponz248 said:

NWS is disengaged with the paddle switch on the stick I believe. 

Dont think so... Or only when paddle switch is held? 

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

3 minutes ago, Rhinozherous said:

Dont think so... Or only when paddle switch is held? 

When held.  

• Thanks 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

On 6/30/2023 at 4:10 AM, jaylw314 said:

You should normally be aerobraking until about 90 KIAS or so.

Nose comes down at 105KIAS with full aft stick at a relatively light weight and a 10-knot headwind (3xAIM120, 1xAIM9, 2xFUEL empty, NAV pod, LANTIRN, 3000lbs gas).

• Like 2

I find it extremely easy to land.  It's very gentle in the flare.  Lots of lift available. A fine flying machine.

• Like 4

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

On 6/29/2023 at 12:41 AM, BuLLeT.ZA said:

I'd actually say that she's erring on the side of being too forgiving. The brakes seem too effective. (Not that I'm complaining).

As for over-steering it, I'd agree with Nodak.

I think that's a function of DCS more than RAZBAM's development. The MiG-19 and MiG-21 both enjoy stupendous braking that render their drag chutes useless. It'd be nice if we got some actual runway icing effects.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I have problems to land the F-15E too. It feels like she doesnt slow down when flaring/air breaking.

I want to learn the straight in first before learning the overhead break.

I try to manage an AoA of 20-22 and before touchdown I have about 190 kts IAS. Just before I touchdown throttle to idle and speedbrake up. Then I raise my nose (the w-like-symbol in my hud) between 10-15 degree on the climb ladder and hold this angle till touchdown and my nosewheel comes down. Then I engage the wheel brakes full.

I try to touchdown early on the runway but can barely stop before the last taxi way. I tried it on Batumi no other Airport yet. Without any weapons or fuel tanks loaded nor wind settings

Edited by IsAnyoneUp

Try with less internal fuel? Also make sure “idle” is effectively idle on your physical throttle (it is something I forgot to check after updating my Virpil firmware - I use physical detents): you can check that in the axis bindings.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I found it tough because I'm used to the hornet. But this beast needs to be landed quite differently. 

Most of the time I have trouble stopping now is because I'm too heavy. Given the standard F15 has a landing distance of 7,500 ft (2,300 m), according to Google, it seems about right. It uses almost 4/5 of the runway at my local international airport going by those numbers. 

Edited by Thx1137

Rule of thumb is 1000 lbs of fuel and ordnance for every 1000 feet of runway you are landing on.

So if its a 9000 foot runway, combined fuel plus ordnance should be no more than 9000 lbs. Take that as your MAXIMUM landing weight, recommended is probly less than 5000 lbs combined fuel and ordnance.

You have a fuel dump switch that will dump ~1000 lbs a minute, so use that to help get down to a good landing weight if you find yourself with too much.

Fly a 20-22 unit AOA final approach with the flaps down.

Flare at 50 feet AGL using the radar altimeter and the tape on the side of the hud.

If you are floating in the flare crack the speedbrake to get the jet to settle on to the runway. Normal technique used all the time in the real thing.

Edited by KlarSnow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2023 at 10:36 AM, IsAnyoneUp said:

I have problems to land the F-15E too. It feels like she doesnt slow down when flaring/air breaking.

I want to learn the straight in first before learning the overhead break.

I try to manage an AoA of 20-22 and before touchdown I have about 190 kts IAS. Just before I touchdown throttle to idle and speedbrake up. Then I raise my nose (the w-like-symbol in my hud) between 10-15 degree on the climb ladder and hold this angle till touchdown and my nosewheel comes down. Then I engage the wheel brakes full.

I try to touchdown early on the runway but can barely stop before the last taxi way. I tried it on Batumi no other Airport yet. Without any weapons or fuel tanks loaded nor wind settings

190? Thats really fast! Try something like 160 and let her calmly aerobrake.

She actually decelerates quite nicely, especially compared to a hornet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord_Pyro said:

190? Thats really fast! Try something like 160 and let her calmly aerobrake.

She actually decelerates quite nicely, especially compared to a hornet.

190 isn't fast if you are heavy. Notice the 20-22 AOA he describes?

• Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2