Nevada Update please

Viper1031

• 5 months later...

New Year - new NTTR update / expansion request. Won't happen or will it?

Happy New Year!

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I asked about a similar update and was told this map is period locked forget the year but if it is not there during the said timeframe it will not be added.. also this map is final..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

• 2 weeks later...

When asked about revamping older ED maps to current standards on a recent Mover & Gonky show on YouTube, Wags said they "may do it" and NTTR was the first map he mentioned as being talked about internally. The map-developers are currently busy with Marianas WWII, Iraq and Afghanistan maps, though. So it may be a while until they actually do it. However, no details were given if that may or may not include expansions of the map area or improvements to currently low detail areas of the map.

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Obviously you havn't understood how ED works. The Nevada map willn't bring them money anymore. I don't think they will take time to enhance the map again by adding new items like the Eiffel tower or the Bellagio animated fountains. And they have the support of the big part of this community saying that DCS isn't a tourist simulator. So, with these 2 parameters, why working on that ?

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

On 2/14/2024 at 4:03 PM, jef32 said:

Obviously you havn't understood how ED works. The Nevada map willn't bring them money anymore. I don't think they will take time to enhance the map again by adding new items like the Eiffel tower or the Bellagio animated fountains. And they have the support of the big part of this community saying that DCS isn't a tourist simulator. So, with these 2 parameters, why working on that ?

Right, they will update the map with new lighting though.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

8 hours ago, draconus said:

Right, they will update the map with new lighting though.

Yes but it isn't a specific update. They will update all DCS towns with these new lightnings. A long long time ago, many years , I've already asked for better details in LV but the majority of users  at these times, said to me that DCS isn't a tourist simulator. I believed that for them, a single map with airbases, some trees, some sand, some rocks will be enough to please them. After that, having the support of most of the part of their customers settling for the minimum, why do you want that ED would get tired to enhance the details of their maps ?

• Like 2

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

On 2/16/2024 at 5:58 PM, jef32 said:

A long long time ago, many years , I've already asked for better details in LV but the majority of users  at these times, said to me that DCS isn't a tourist simulator.

It still isn't but now there is way more maps than just 2, with more coming, and they are much more detailed, so the customer expectations are high.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Did you see the difference between LV in DCS and LV in Msfs 2020 ?

So, I don't ask ED to make towns as realist as Asobo is doing but a minimum would be welcome. Recently they'd reproduced the Paris of the 1944 year on the Normandy II map and I must say that i's aproximately realist. And we can find eiffel tower and other features making this Paris realist. So why they don't add features on LV like the eiffel tower or Bellagio fountains ?

Because NTTR is an old map, many users are satisfied with a little and ED would need time to enhance LV to make it more credible. But time is money and I doubt that it will be new users enough to buy NTTR map today. I think that ED and their subcontractors have understood the lesson because some of maps released since NTTR are really more detailled, like the Syrian map in exemple which is for me the best map that ED has released. ( I don't know South Atlantic because I havn't buy it but when seeing youtube videos about this map,  I'm definitely not tempted to buy it). And in the same manner, I'm very disappointed about the Sinaï map. I think that I got scewed by the commercial videos of ED. Tha's why, these official videos being absolutly well made to tempt the customer, from now on, I prefer waiting youtuber's advice.

I would strongly suspect as time moves on and the maps are making leaps and bounds in tech improvements it's going to get easier to update the older ones with the new tools and techniques at some point.  Used to be years waiting for one single map, now it's two to three in a year with quality far surpassing anything previously done.  At some point they're going to have to introduce the world curvature, don't see the point in two different simulations catering to the flat earth society.  Barometric pressure will suddenly mean something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nodak said:

I would strongly suspect as time moves on and the maps are making leaps and bounds in tech improvements it's going to get easier to update the older ones with the new tools and techniques at some point.  Used to be years waiting for one single map, now it's two to three in a year with quality far surpassing anything previously done.  At some point they're going to have to introduce the world curvature, don't see the point in two different simulations catering to the flat earth society.  Barometric pressure will suddenly mean something.

The problem with that theory is that the newer maps are made with completely different technology than the older ones were.  So it won't be as easy as dropping new tools and techniques onto the old maps.

The theory is map making will become so fast eventually, most of it rapidly becoming automated, it'll become a snap to totally redo them. 😉  Trend says we're moving that way, of course I'm not going to say what year that'll happen.

1 hour ago, Nodak said:

The theory is map making will become so fast eventually, most of it rapidly becoming automated, it'll become a snap to totally redo them. 😉  Trend says we're moving that way, of course I'm not going to say what year that'll happen.

I agree with that (in fact ED has stated they have a small group already working on a whole world map), but that's a whole new map rather than updating existing.  What I was saying is that the CURRENT version is not likely to be updated.  The only way it's going to get big updates is if they completely redo the map (as you suggested in your 2nd post).

8 hours ago, rob10 said:

The only way it's going to get big updates is if they completely redo the map

That may sound good but creates problems with integration of the existing map and missions made for it in DCS, including new paid DLCs. Even paying twice for the same terrain is dubious. The easiest way is to exchange objects and textures for high quality ones, add some new models and improve mountains mesh.

• 1 month later...

NAS Fallon, Edwards AFB, and China Lake aren't really that far. They're still on the map, just not detailed. It would open up so much more just even having those 3 bases. Bakersfield is even on the map just not detailed. They could expand the map even 250 miles to the bottom and the left side then call it "West Coast Test And Training Map" Include a bit of the ocean, Los Angeles maybe even? 

Or just detail NAS Fallon, Edwards, and China Lake since they're on the map already as I said earlier. 

• Like 2