On screen g indicator

algherghezghez

Since we lack the feel of the Gs we should have a way to display it onscreen, since real pilots don’t to constantly watch the gmeter. Maybe a superimposed slider like the ifols. That goes from green to red or something, to understand roughly how much you are pulling.

Edited by algherghezghez
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, algherghezghez said:

Since we lack the feel of the Gs we should have a way to display it onscreen, since real pilots don’t to constantly watch the gmeter. Maybe a superimposed slider like the ifols. That goes from green to red or something, to understand roughly how much you are pulling.

Agreed. A visual reference would be nice to offset the lack of a physical reference.

• Like 1

I think with enough practice in these sims you don’t really need this and it would be distracting IMO. You would not want to have your eyes on this in a dogfight. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

57 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I think with enough practice in these sims you don’t really need this and it would be distracting IMO. You would not want to have your eyes on this in a dogfight. 

Exactly, you need your eyes on the target, and with planes like the f-14 with no FBW and 6.5 g limit you always need to look down at your gmeter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, algherghezghez said:

Exactly, you need your eyes on the target, and with planes like the f-14 with no FBW and 6.5 g limit you always need to look down at your gmeter.

Yeah but you’d still be looking down at a g-meter icon. That particular limit was just for maintenance purposes which isn’t relevant to DCS really. So there’s not much reason to adhere to that so strictly. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Doesn't this already exist with the F10 infobar?

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F-4E, Mi-24P, AJS 37, AV-8B N/A, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

F10 Info Bar in Cockpit Option Enabled + GForce Effects on Camera Enabled

Problem Solved.

We dont need any more fake HUD info Game Mode things in the Sim, no thanks,.

4 hours ago, algherghezghez said:

That don't stare at the G-Meter Sure,/
But Real Pilots, especially WWII and PostWar before HUDs become sophisticated, never looked in one spot or fixated on one thing, they constantly cycled through looking at everything in their cockpit. (G-Meter, Air speed, engine temps/rpms, etc etc).

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I was typing up a different perspective on this but lost interest. The reality is the OP request will never be implemented anyway, and the tireless guardians of “realism” will never be swayed. So what’s the point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cab said:

and the tireless guardians of “realism” will never be swayed. So what’s the point. 

It’s not out of realism, it’s the recognition that is a game on a PC. The game already simulates blackouts, breathing effects, buffet etc so you have a clue about this happening. I don’t know what value seeing a number or graphic does for that other than being just distracting. 

I really don't care about the request one way or another, but just as a tip to OP and others... you should not be looking at that anyway.

How many specific G you're pulling is rarely relevant, I really can't think of any time in two decades+ of simming that I ever paid attention to that, you're interested more in speed. If you're trying to sustain max turn, you're interested in speed and adjusting your pull on whether speed is going up or down NOT G. If you're going for max pull in general, then you're going for a short term move dumping energy and again the Max g you actually achieve is irrelevant, you either got on target or you didn't. It's like the AoA indicator. It's there. You do not ever look at it. Think of these almost as diagnostic tools for testing purposes, not as something you realistically refer to during combat.

While you're staring at these tertiary diagnostic meters trying to figure out if you're ''maxing G'' your opponent is flying his plane.

-edit

For combat purposes, the buffet and gray/black out is all the visual feedback you need. You're either disrupting airflow or not and you're either blacking out or not. The EXACT NUMBER at any given moment at these points is completely irrelevant. 

Edited by Mars Exulte
  • Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

29 minutes ago, Mars Exulte said:

For combat purposes, the buffet and gray/black out is all the visual feedback you need. You're either disrupting airflow or not and you're either blacking out or not. The EXACT NUMBER at any given moment at these points is completely irrelevant. 

To be fair, the request isn't for an exact number. Asking for visual feedback in place of missing force feedback sounds reasonable to me. We do have some in the form of buffet and screen effects, but the form can vary from plane to plane and the latter doesn't take effect until you hit higher g loads.

Perhaps some of the existing visual effects can be tweaked to provide better feedback, or at least be more consistent between modules.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

4 hours ago, Mars Exulte said:

I really don't care about the request one way or another, but just as a tip to OP and others... you should not be looking at that anyway.

How many specific G you're pulling is rarely relevant, I really can't think of any time in two decades+ of simming that I ever paid attention to that, you're interested more in speed. If you're trying to sustain max turn, you're interested in speed and adjusting your pull on whether speed is going up or down NOT G. If you're going for max pull in general, then you're going for a short term move dumping energy and again the Max g you actually achieve is irrelevant, you either got on target or you didn't. It's like the AoA indicator. It's there. You do not ever look at it. Think of these almost as diagnostic tools for testing purposes, not as something you realistically refer to during combat.

While you're staring at these tertiary diagnostic meters trying to figure out if you're ''maxing G'' your opponent is flying his plane.

-edit

Tell this to the real fighter pilots who say they suck at the sim because they bleed too much/not enough airspeed because they are unaware of the gs unlike in the real thing. Look at speed and angels, almost everything is g dependant and you must be quite accurate about it.

4 hours ago, Exorcet said:

To be fair, the request isn't for an exact number. Asking for visual feedback in place of missing force feedback sounds reasonable to me. We do have some in the form of buffet and screen effects, but the form can vary from plane to plane and the latter doesn't take effect until you hit higher g loads.

Perhaps some of the existing visual effects can be tweaked to provide better feedback, or at least be more consistent between modules.

Exactly, we have no way of determining gs other than watching at the instrument below, 8/9. Most of the time in most of the planes you want to be way under that

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, algherghezghez said:

Tell this to the real fighter pilots who say they suck at the sim because they bleed too much/not enough airspeed because they are unaware of the gs unlike in the real thing. Look at speed and angels, almost everything is g dependant and you must be quite accurate about it.

People used to flying a real aircraft by feel wouldn’t be able to relate well to an icon on their computer screen. Ever try to drive your real world car in a racing sim? Does if feel the same? No…

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

People used to flying a real aircraft by feel wouldn’t be able to relate well to an icon on their computer screen. Ever try to drive your real world car in a racing sim? Does if feel the same? No…

Of course, I’m not saying that they would. I’m just saying that this proves that a quick way to determining your Gs is needed to properly fly and fight. For us gamers I think an on screen overlay would be the best option. I don’t understand what the problem would be, we already have tons of optional onscreen overlays: ifols, controls, crew status, etc.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, algherghezghez said:

Of course, I’m not saying that they would. I’m just saying that this proves that a quick way to determining your Gs is needed to properly fly and fight. For us gamers I think an on screen overlay would be the best option. I don’t understand what the problem would be, we already have tons of optional onscreen overlays: ifols, controls, crew status, etc.

An on-screen graphic won’t give you any more sensory feedback. For better or worse the only feedback you get in a PC sim is from your vision and maybe audio. I just think watching a screen icon is not the thing you’ll want to do. You can get that feedback from watching or listening to the rest of the game. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

An on-screen graphic won’t give you any more sensory feedback. For better or worse the only feedback you get in a PC sim is from your vision and maybe audio. I just think watching a screen icon is not the thing you’ll want to do. You can get that feedback from watching or listening to the rest of the game. 

Not sensory feedback; but different feedback is in my opinion better than no feedback. Can you honestly say the difference between 2 or 3 G or between 4 and 5 or 6 with the current implementation without watching the Gmeter? Because I can’t.

Edited by algherghezghez
  • Like 1