Patch notes discussion October 2023 - DCS 2.9

BIGNEWY

2 minutes ago, Willdass said:

Anyone else have insanly long load time when starting the game? Took me about 10minutes to get into the main menu. When ingame the missions load a lot faster than before though. Tried restarting now to see if it got better after first start, no change.
DLAA looked amazing though! Very excited about this update

I have a start up of a few minutes 2+.

So  back to were it was before the previous OB patch that fixed the slow start up that came with the OB patch with the F15E

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Have you activated any of the Anti-Aliasing options? (preferably DLAA) 

Because by default when I started the new version for the first time, AA was completely disabled.

for my ultimate try , i've disabled dlss , enabled dlaa, everything on the max exept motion blur and sharpness to 0

dcs 2.9.jpg

as you can see the aliasing is really strong , the cockpit is blurry (i could think i forget my glasses) and there is this big shimmering zone near of the horizon when i move !😭

Edited by Mootmoot

4 minutes ago, j0nx said:

DLAA without DLSS puts it back visually to the way it was but runs like it did too before the update. All DLSS does from what I can see here is vastly lower visual quality in exchange for better fps. I can do that myself by turning down sliders or resolution. Trying to figure out what was done here with DLSS since no other games that I have make such a drastic downgrade in visuals when it is enabled. I'm running a 5800X3D and a 4090 so not really a hardware issue on my part. They've got some work to do as it looks to be a pretty crudely implemented DLSS addon. I'm sure  it will get better with time. Progress is slow with these guys but ultimately usually happens. Eventually.

DLAA looks better than MSAA 4x used to and runs better. DLSS lowers image quality compared to native resolution, not surprising. Once again - DLAA cannot be used WITH DLSS.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

6 minutes ago, Zebra1-1 said:

Pretty sure SteamVR uses OpenXR too.
OpenXR is way better than OpenVR though, and the latter will eventually be deprecated.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Up until this update MT running SteamVR OpenXR runtime was inferior on my system to ST running SteamVR OpenVR in terms of stuttering and visual quality. Hopefully this build will change that but I understand why some find OpenVR the better option with DCS up until now at least. This is with reprojection enabled btw.

Edited by Baldrick33
  • Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

3 minutes ago, Mootmoot said:

for my ultimate try , i've disabled dlss , enabled dlaa, everything on the max exept motion blur and sharpness to 0

dcs 2.9.jpg

as you can see the aliasing is really strong , the cocpit is blurry (i could think i forget my glasses) and there is tis big shimmering zone near of the horizon when i move !😭

is that screenshot your actual resolution? it's extremely low. is this low resolution on purpose? check pixel density (if you run vr)...

Edited by twistking

2 minutes ago, Mootmoot said:

dcs 2.9.jpg

as you can see the aliasing is really strong , the cocpit is blurry (i could think i forget my glasses) and there is tis big shimmering zone near of the horizon when i move !😭

What resolution are you running? I have completely different experience here…..

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

13 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

I have a start up of a few minutes 2+.

So  back to were it was before the previous OB patch that fixed the slow start up that came with the OB patch with the F15E

hmm. My game has loaded for 10+min now and nothing. Maybe the problem lies with Steam version. When I loaded in the first time it took about 10mins, but mission loads were very quick, much quicker than before.

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

my resolution is 1920x1080 , my game is a bit better than the screenshot because i play with multiscreen and the screenshot take the 2 screen , so i supressed the second part of the screeshot...the matter is the blurry effects and the shimering appears when i move...so it's hard to see the problem with a static image!

Hi,

can someone explain to me how to deal with FSR and the Upscaling Slider ? What effect does the slider have in either directions.

Thanks in advance, I am new to this upscaling thing.

Frank

System: Asus ROG STRIX X570 , Ryzen 9 5900X , ASUS ROG STRIX LC 240 , 64 GB GSkill 3200 Trident Z , Powercolor Red Devil RX 6900 XT , Running SSD only

Input: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog , Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals , Track IR 5, VoiceAttac with Vaicom Pro, HP Reverb G2

DCS Open Beta , Nevada NTTR Map, Persian Gulf Map , Syria Map, F-14 Tomcat , F/A-18C Hornet , F-16 Viper, AV-8B Harrier, Supercarrier

18 minutes ago, Skyhammer said:

HUDs are still blurry with DLAA 😞

Screen_231019_202957.jpg

that looks very bad indeed. do you have other aircraft modules to test?
i could imagine that HUDs need some extra care by the devs to look right with dlss/dlaa/taa/fsr. maybe this is done on a per aircraft basis?
to be safe, check with one of the current showhorse modules: apache, viper, hornet...
also to be double sure, install latest drivers, delete fxo etc. ... you know the drill...

16 minutes ago, Zebra1-1 said:

Pretty sure SteamVR uses OpenXR too.
OpenXR is way better than OpenVR though, and the latter will eventually be deprecated.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Sorry, Open VR is what I meant. Steam VR can use both.
I tried OpenXR, but I hated fiddling around with the toolkit and command lines to get it started, etc. and the motion smoothing/motion reprojection with OpenXR was terrible compared to OpenVR.

DCS runs extremely well here on 4080, picture quality is very stable, no shimmering at all.

From quality to performance

1. DLAA the best, runs better thatn previous 2xMSAA and looks 100x better

2. DLSS quality (looks almost as DLAA but runs better)

3. DLSS balanced (slightly worse, especially distant objects but runs again better)

4. DLSS performance - runs very well but picture quality is getting poor.

I tried back 2xMSAA and man it was poor performance, jaggy, shimmering. I tested everything above Argentinian cities and big forests which are very demanding. In Caucasus I believe I can run DLAA with no problems. 

PS. VR, G2

Edited by jurinko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Mootmoot said:

my resolution is 1920x1080 , my game is a bit better than the screenshot because i play with multiscreen and the screenshot take the 2 screen , so i supressed the second part of the screeshot...the matter is the blurry effects and the shimering appears when i move...so it's hard to see the problem with a static image!

maybe DLSS has issues with your specific multiscreen setup then. if you have tried the usual stuff (drivers, fxo/metashader delete, restart etc.) maybe do a bug report.
it's super difficult to judge these things from screenshots (as you mentioned yourself), but to me it seems that it looks worse than one would expect. so maybe a bug/glitch/issue with your multimonitor setting. maybe test with single monitor fullscreen and maxed out resolution just as a comparison...

Edited by twistking

5 minutes ago, BoFrost said:

Hi,

can someone explain to me how to deal with FSR and the Upscaling Slider ? What effect does the slider have in either directions.

Thanks in advance, I am new to this upscaling thing.

Frank

The further left (lower value) the lower the internal rendering resolution will be. Higher fps but worse image quality.

Depending on which resolution you have set something around 0.7-0.8 probably offers a little better FPS while looking quite good. But feel free to try different values to your own liking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jurinko said:

DCS runs extremely well here on 4080, picture quality is very stable, no shimmering at all.

From quality to performance

1. DLAA the best, runs better thatn previous 2xMSAA and looks 100x better

2. DLSS quality (looks almost as DLAA but runs better)

3. DLSS balanced (slightly worse, especially distant objects but runs again better)

4. DLSS performance - runs very well but picture quality is getting poor.

I tried back 2xMSAA and man it was poor performance, jaggy, shimmering. I tested everything above Argentinian cities and big forests which are very demanding. In Caucasus I believe I can run DLAA with no problems. 

PS. VR, G2

do you run native res on the G2? does the pixel density slider even has any effect with DLSS on?

Thanks for that:

• NEW: Added helicopter rotor downwash influence on vegetation.

• Graphics: Improved helicopter rotor dust effects.

How cool is that, you fly low over trees/forest and see the trees shaking...!!

• Like 5

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Just now, twistking said:

do you run native res on the G2? does the pixel density slider even has any effect with DLSS on?

PD in-game set to 1.0 and in openxr custom render scale at 100%, res at WMR 100%.

Hmm now you get me to think; if I set PD 0.8, would the DLSS do its upscaling job to make it look like.. what? 

Can someone please explain me the meaining of "SSS", (no useful tooltip avail) left system-column under secondary shadows?

DCS MT😍, all maps except channel, FC3, F-16C Viper, F-15E, F/A-18C, AH-64D, F-5E, F-4E, P-51D, Spitfire, Fw-190D, MiG-21bis, L-39, AJS-37
Supercarrier, WWII-AP, CA, TrackIR5, F/A-18-Stick + Thrustmaster 16000, Stream Deck 8x4, 2x MFD Cougar
Ryzen9 5950X SMT off, 64GB RAM, RTX 4070 SUPER TI, UWQHD 3440x1440, Win11+DCS from separate M.2

vor 12 Minuten schrieb twistking:

that looks very bad indeed. do you have other aircraft modules to test?
i could imagine that HUDs need some extra care by the devs to look right with dlss/dlaa/taa/fsr. maybe this is done on a per aircraft basis?
to be safe, check with one of the current showhorse modules: apache, viper, hornet...
also to be double sure, install latest drivers, delete fxo etc. ... you know the drill...

Apache no HUD problems with DLSS/DLAA ON. But on FC3 massive Problems like you saw...

Screen_231019_212028.jpg

• Like 1

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Atari800XL:

Can someone please explain me the meaining of "SSS", (no useful tooltip avail) left system-column under secondary shadows?

"NEW: Added graphics option for Screen Space Shadows (SSS). This adds improved shadow detail to grass, bushes, and tree shadows. This is most evident with moving grass and tree shadows at long view distances. WIP. "

I dunno how it works, but it looks better.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Atari800XL said:

Screen Space Shadows. It renders shadows from small scenery objects with little strain on The GPU. It is explained and showcased in the release video.

• Like 2