Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link

SrSosio

On 3/5/2024 at 9:28 PM, slughead said:

@BIGNEWY v63 of Oculus is now going live. It would be sensible to have a hotfix imminently. Are you able to share where the team is with this, please?

image.png

Do we know if the new PTC also crashes DCS?

Just now, slughead said:

Meta said it’s for ED to fix. So you can assume it does still crash DCS. There’s no way I’m trying it a there will be no way back once you update to the official v63.

Yeah, fair enough. I suppose there is a chance that it may have been inadvertently fixed. I guess we will find out at some point. I think I have done the block, didn't have the two folders so I made them. Not sure if I need to create generic "files" within them.

2 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Not sure if I need to create generic "files" within them.

No, empty is just fine.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Update landed this morning.

image.png

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Strange...

I have V63 in both the Oculus app and my Quest 3 headset, running DCS in OpenXR with the OpenXR Toolkit and does not have or had any issues.

Oculus is set as the OpenXR runtime.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon, was just about to start playing again this morning after a couple months break. However having only seen this thread after the fact, my quest 2 app had already automatically updated to the new update jsut released this morning. I was already opted out of PTC so I dont believe there is a way to roll back. looks like its going to have to wait a wee bit longer :)) will keep an eye on this thread for updates 😄

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 7:19 PM, BIGNEWY said:

I am not surprised, as mentioned the team know what has been changed and a fix for using v63 will be in our next patch. We did not change anything and v62 works well with DCS and OpenXR. 

Ive asked the team to check the native oculus command again 

thanks

Can you guys drop the update soon, please 🙂

On 3/5/2024 at 10:28 PM, slughead said:

@BIGNEWY v63 of Oculus is now going live. It would be sensible to have a hotfix imminently. Are you able to share where the team is with this, please?

image.png

@Flappie @BIGNEWY Pretty please the hotfix! 

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• ED Team

I will mention it to the team again, but we have no plans for a hot fix currently sorry.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I use my quest on two different Win11 partitions and wirelessly connect for other games. Since a PC is not required to update the Quest HMD's, how does blocking in on a PC keep it from updating? I installed Sidequest and loaded Amaze. From Amaze you can shutoff updates. I used this video: YouTube

12 minutes ago, Maddaawg said:

how does blocking in on a PC keep it from updating?

The guidance was only to block Oculus PC app to go to V63. 
For the headset, apart from what you suggest (which I haven't tried) the only option is to keep wifi off 😞
 In addition the headest updates if you have SW updates off are enforced after some time. For example v62 in my case has a mandatory enforcement by 28/3. So I guess you are safe in headset with SW updates set to OFF even with wifi on for some period of time which will be mentioned by META.

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

2 hours ago, Mausar said:

I also have both V63 but it won't run OpenXR Toolkit. I try with OpenXR runtime but sadly won't work.

That's the issue. OpenXR for DCS is broken with V63. The workaround which seems to work for some but not everyone is to use Oculus Mode. Revisit the initial Post from BN.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jaghammer said:

Actually I wonder if Steam link would be a possible workaround in the meantime.

You mean SteamVR? Yes, that and Virtual Desktop are ok as they don’t use the Oculus runtime. But you lose any openXR mods/tools you may have been using.

On 2/27/2024 at 4:39 PM, Lange_666 said:
Simply browse to C:\Program Files\Oculus (or where you installed your application)
Rename folder \Staging to bak.Staging
Rename folder \tmp to bak.tmp

If I don't have a tmp folder should I create one called bak.tmp anyway?

And what do you mean by "create a file" with no extension? I see no way to do that in Windows. Everything is a specific file type with a specific extension. Anything else is a folder.

Edited by Nealius

On 3/8/2024 at 4:06 PM, slughead said:

You mean SteamVR? Yes, that and Virtual Desktop are ok as they don’t use the Oculus runtime. But you lose any openXR mods/tools you may have been using.

But at least Virtual Desktop has OpenXR and afaik SteamVR can also be used as OpenXR Runtime. So you might don't loose anything with them.

EDIT: so i just updated everything to V63 and it seems to work with Steam Link, but it's working also without Link(means you can connect your Meta via USB and Meta PC App). DCS MT Version started in Open XR Mode.

2024-03-08 17:02:08.246 INFO    VISUALIZER (Main): LAUNCH IN VR OpenXR: SteamVR/OpenXR : oculus

If you wanna try that out please remember you need a good WiFi Connection to use this. And that doesn't mean you need the Steam Version of DCS. IM on Standalone Version of DCS.

Update: You can skip the Steam Link thing if you don't wanna use it! Just set SteamVR as the OpenXR Runtime.

1. Install Steam Link to your Quest
2. Start it and follow the Steps to Link your PC
3. On your PC Go to the SteamVR settings (its called "Einstellungen" here)

image.png

4. set SteamVR as OpenXR Runtime (sorry i dont know the correct english term) and i don't know about the "Meta Plugin Compatibility". i had it "off" in my quick test.

image.png

EDIT2: If you dont able to use WiFi Connection you can add the ...\bin-mt\DCS.exe to your Steam library and start DCS from Steam.

1. lower left klick on add game
2. add other game

image.png

3. in the new WIndow hit search
4. navigate to the dcs.exe
5. click open
image.png

6. Start DCS through Steam

/Updated

Edited by jaghammer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

If I don't have a tmp folder should I create one called bak.tmp anyway?

No need. The point was to rename the old folders so that Oculus can't fins them.

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

And what do you mean by "create a file" with no extension?

Create a new file, e.g. a text file, by right-clicking and selecting "text document". Windows generates a new file and highlights the name for you to rename. Just select the whole filename including the extension then type "tmp". That creates a file without an extension. I'm surprised in this age you didn't know that. That's not a reflection on you, but a reflection on me expecting everyone to know it.

Edited by slughead
  • Thanks 1

Quest 3 user here. This issue happen to me several day ago. I saw there had been a Meta update in the PC app. I did a system restore in my W11 install and DCS started launching in VR. Everything else on my system seemed fine. After reading some forum posts I went into the Meta PC App settings and unticked Automatic Updates, opted out of PTC. I did not make note of the PC App version at that time. Wish I had But it worked fine until Last night then it happened again. DCS wouldn't launch in VR/Meta link. I did take note of the Meta version and it was V63. And I saw there had been a Meta update even thou I had auto updates unticked. I tried the system restore trick again. When choosing the restore point to go back to I saw where there had been a couple of Windows Updates yesterday. However I didn't seem them looking in my Windows Updates history. At any rate I choose the point before yesterday's windows update, let SR run and now DCS was launching in VR again. Checking the Meta PC app version said it was V63. PTC and Auto Updates still unticked. Created a restore point in System restore and I thought I was good till I noticed that System restore had deleted the .exe's for Chrome, Thunderbird (email) and Discord. None of them would launch. CRAP! So I undid the System Restore. Now the three apps would launch and function normally and of course DCS would not launch in VR as before. So I copied the contents of the Discord folder, the Google folder (Chrome) and the Thunderbird folder. This kept the .exe's and all the data. Moved them to a drive unaffected by system restore. Then I ran System Restore to the restore point I had created when DCS would launch. Now as before DCS and Meta are working and the three app .exe's are gone and won't run. I pasted the contents I had saved of Discord, Chrome and Thunderbird folders back in their program folders that were still under windows programs (actually the Discord folder is in a different location, under Users/app data/etc.) which put the .exe's back and they launch and run normally with all the data that was there before AND DCS is launching in VR with my Quest 3. And the version of the PC App is still V63. We'll see if it still works when I get home tonight. Sorry to be so long winded, hopefully this might be of some help.

• Like 1

Rig Specs, i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 Plus MB, 64 GB Kingston Vengeance Beast ram, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1 TB NVme SSD Drive, EVGA 750 Watt PS. Windows 11 Pro 22H2, Vizio 43 inch G-Sync Compatible TV, Oculus Quest 3, CH Hotas,( Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, All axis analog pots converted to sensors), MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, V3.

Hi all,

I just got a ticket reply on this- it is the recent update to the oculus app thats causing the issue,  they suggest reverting to a previous

version of the oculus app but I cant find any way of doing this?

does anyone know how to?

Yes, the only problem is with Oculus link PC app, the rest should work as it normally does, actually, I made some tests with Steam Link and Quest Pro and it gives me better results than VD, and is quite close to Oculus Link.

• Like 1

I should have also said the ticket reply suggested I go off beta updates for the oculus but im not using the PTC so cant really 

do anything here!

Les

12 minutes ago, Mausar said:

Would be great if ED implemented something into DCS, like Turbo Mode in OpenXR Toolkit😁. That smoothness... 

And the simple fix (practically one line I think) to stop DCS falling over when an Oculus headset is taken off.

• Like 1