DCS Update discussion February 2024

BIGNEWY

Too bad F10 map is still unusable in VR. Still halves the FPS / makes it all juddery when going back to cockpit.

Other than that, great patch!

Edited by Wizard1393

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

48 minutes ago, Wizard1393 said:

Too bad F10 map is still unusable in VR. Still halves the FPS / makes it all juddery when going back to cockpit.

Interesting. I use F10 all the time and don’t experience this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wizard1393 said:

I don't get this issue either. I have done in the past, but not for the last couple of updates. It used to be module specific for me. F14 in particular.

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

32 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

I don't get this issue either. I have done in the past, but not for the last couple of updates. It used to be module specific for me. F14 in particular.

Same.  Pimax 8kx on SteamVR.  Never experienced this issue ever in 2+ years of VR use.

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

1 hour ago, Cab said:

Interesting. I use F10 all the time and don’t experience this. 

Neither do I. But when I exit the F10 map everything is so overexposed it hurts my eyes. It takes a while for it to settle back to normal. I'd like to see that fixed 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• ED Team
Just now, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Neither do I. But when I exit the F10 map everything is so overexposed it hurts my eyes. It takes a while for it to settle back to normal. I'd like to see that fixed 🤷‍♀️

over exposure issue is reported I will chase it up

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
2 hours ago, Wizard1393 said:

We do have a related report for this, 

however I do not experience this issue, it maybe system specific depending on components and settings

• Like 2

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

Its been that way for years, a fix would be great

In an ideal world all issues would be fixed, but not all issues can be fixed sadly, that is the reality of development sometimes. 

Excluding DCS folder, save games folder and DXCache ( C:\Users\Your name\AppData\LocalLow\NVIDIA\PerDriverVersion ) folder from "Windows Defender" helped my game run smooth with the F10 map and no over exposure anymore. Maybe something to try?

( Spudknocker video how to: )

Edited by Parrotnut
  • Like 4

I9 13900K |  RTX 4090 | 64 GB DDR5 | Varjo Aero

On 2/22/2024 at 11:27 AM, unltd said:

Great patch.  Love the FA18 FLCS improvements!  Actually damage a left gear on landing!  Bravo Zulu!  Kneeboards!  Spitfire textures looking fine!

Honestly I had no idea how much that kneeboard would be utilised.  I cannot wait for this feature to show up in other modules.  This is truly clutch in VR.

• Like 1

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

46 minutes ago, Parrotnut said:

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\LocalLow\NVIDIA\PerDriverVersion

Just to add to that, for AMD users the folder is:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\AMD\DxCache

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

6 hours ago, Wizard1393 said:

I have this problem sometimes too. Pressing the power button on the Quest 3 headset to turn it off and then turning it back on immediately fixes the problem. However, I have to do it every time I go back from the F10 map.

• Like 1

I have the same problem with F10 especially the first time in a mission I use F10. Watching the GPU timing in OXR Toolkit it goes from 15-20ms to 60-80ms. It feels like unloading and reloading textures, objects, etc. but I could be wrong.

I will try the above mentioned exclusions from AV.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 1:50 PM, Parrotnut said:

Excluding DCS folder, save games folder and DXCache ( C:\Users\Your name\AppData\LocalLow\NVIDIA\PerDriverVersion ) folder from "Windows Defender" helped my game run smooth with the F10 map and no over exposure anymore. Maybe something to try?

( Spudknocker video how to: )

On 2/29/2024 at 2:36 PM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Just to add to that, for AMD users the folder is:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\AMD\DxCache

I don't use Windows Defender, I have it completely disabled so that's not an issue for me. It seems to me that something does not "unload properly" when going back to cockpit.
But I'm no game developer so this is just guesswork of mine really.

My hardware setup are in my sig if that helps at all...

Good to know you're tracking the issue at least. 🙂

Edited by Wizard1393

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

I just had the opportunity to try the new update. An incredibly smooth gaming performance. Thanks for this. Flights over crowded cities on the Syria map are now smooth for me.
Additionally, buildings and city no longer reduce FPS in the Marianas map. The only problem is the trees. Flying low in forest lands is quite troublesome and there are serious fps drops over forests. I hope you fix this in the future, otherwise we need someone to make a performance tree mod. Overall Thanks for this fps saver update!

Edited by theropod

I just had the opportunity to try the new update. An incredibly smooth gaming performance. Thanks for this. Flights over crowded cities on the Syria map are now smooth for me.
Additionally, buildings and city no longer reduce FPS in the Marianas map. The only problem is the trees. Flying low in forest lands is quite troublesome and there are serious fps drops over forests. I hope you fix this in the future, otherwise we need someone to make a performance tree mod. Overall Thanks for this fps saver update!
I think we will see another nice bump and further improvements once Vulkan API is available.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was able to spend more time with this update over the past weekend, and all I can say is, "Wow, what an improvement!"

Running a Varjo Aero, 4090, 13900K (hyperthreading disabled, 5.6GHz all cores, undervolted), and 64GB DDR5 6800 and even with this hardware I had intermittent stutters and had to play around with settings to get good, smooth performance. 

My setup now:

• Aero at max resolution, locked at 45 FPS with motion smoothing enabled
  • Running Varjo foveated with 1.0/1.4 settings
  • DCS set to 1.4 
  • DLAA enabled
  • NO upscaling
  • Trees, Grass, etc. set at about 3/4 to the right
  • High details on textures
  • Ultra viewing distance
  • Primary and secondary shadows enabled and at high!
  • Clouds and Water set to High
  • SSAO and SSLR enabled
  • nVidia pre-rendered frames set to 1, ultra latency, and the anti-aliasing set to enhance the game settings
  • I limited my FPS to 50 in both the game and nVidia control panel (not sure this is right, but it seems to work great)
  • Vertical syn in-game enabled

I experience no frame drops or stuttering, even flying over Beirut on the Syria map. Everything is very smooth and consistent. There is a little ghosting close-up with fast-moving objects, but a little motion blur at speed up close is not unreasonable (or inherently unrealistic IMO). And - with all of this, I am still not GPU-limited at least according to the in-game display.

I have bumped up the PPD higher but lowered it as it didn't seem to make much difference over where I have it now. I am still experimenting with how the focus area and peripheral areas with DFR and the in-game PPD (which is applied across the entire image I assume) play with each other. It seems odd to use both ... I would think I could leave the PPD at 1.0 and just adjust the DFR, but I have yet to find a combination that looks as sharp as what I have now. It's fun (I know, I am a bit sick in the head) playing around and experimenting with all the settings. 

One observation - I have tried Quad-views as I wanted to use The OXRTK to take advantage of the post-processing and FPS display features, however, no matter how I set it up, the performance was worse and the visuals were inferior. I know Varjo Foveated is a simpler configuration, but OOB it looks and performs better. I'd like to find a config for Quad Views that works as well, as I really miss the OXRTK. 

As far as the FPS limit and vertical sync go, opinions on the web are all over the place on this. But at least for me, right now - the above settings are killing it and are by far the best experience I have had with this game in VR so far. 

• Thanks 1

@BIGNEWY @Wags 
> The new scenery compute system achieved our ambitious goals of:

> increased GPU performance
> improved VRAM management
> increased CPU performance
> improved streaming from storage disk to VRAM with optimised CPU usage

Whoever is responsible for this job, he deserved a pay rise!

This is the biggest performance upgrade since introduction of MP.
Woooow! At last! I have stable 90fps in VR on any map, including low level flight on Normandy 2.0! No reprojection. Zero!
Thank you so much!!!!

• Like 5

I'm gonna be honest:  I have not seen this supposed higher QA that was announced.  OTOH, I have seen new bugs, old bugs, new "features" that aren't really documented or even there, a continuing tradition of breaking something seemingly unrelated when updating the F-16, the same lack of consistency between modules, etc.  What is this higher level of QA you speak of?

PS, also seems like people are stating that the biggest performance improvements are on non-ED developed maps.

Edited by SickSidewinder9

On 3/10/2024 at 7:40 PM, Rosly said:

@BIGNEWY @Wags 
> The new scenery compute system achieved our ambitious goals of:

> increased GPU performance
> improved VRAM management
> increased CPU performance
> improved streaming from storage disk to VRAM with optimised CPU usage

Whoever is responsible for this job, he deserved a pay rise!

This is the biggest performance upgrade since introduction of MP.
Woooow! At last! I have stable 90fps in VR on any map, including low level flight on Normandy 2.0! No reprojection. Zero!
Thank you so much!!!!

Well, good for you!

I also experienced a fine performance boost (great work, ED!), but it's only enough to have a stable 45 fps at 80% of the time and with most of the planes on the ground as well.

So please be careful with those comments without writing the actual configuration and settings (hw, VR headset, resolution etc.) because someone would think that the holy grail has been found with this update. Unfortunately this is not the case, altough I'll expect the stable 90 fps with the new EDGE where Vulkan will kick in, now THAT would be big. But it's the future, hopefully a not so distant future.

My config is in the signature.

• Like 2
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

18 hours ago, St4rgun said:

I also experienced a fine performance boost (great work, ED!), but it's only enough to have a stable 45 fps at 80% of the time and with most of the planes on the ground as well.

So please be careful with those comments without writing the actual configuration and settings (hw, VR headset, resolution etc.) because someone would think that the holy grail has been found with this update. Unfortunately this is not the case, altough I'll expect the stable 90 fps with the new EDGE where Vulkan will kick in, now THAT would be big. But it's the future, hopefully a not so distant future.

My config is in the signature.

Your 45fps 80% is not very detailed either. There's always some set of options and mission/place which can put any PC to its knees. Lower the settings and you will get performance back. And I wouldn't expect anything near 100% boost with Vulkan.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

5 hours ago, draconus said:

Your 45fps 80% is not very detailed either. There's always some set of options and mission/place which can put any PC to its knees. Lower the settings and you will get performance back. And I wouldn't expect anything near 100% boost with Vulkan.

I agree, sorry for the missing information. For everyone interested here they are:

Spoiler

OpenXR_settings.jpgnVidia_03_settings.jpgnVidia_02_settings.jpgnVidia_01_settings.jpgDCS_settings.jpg

I'm playing solely singleplayer, MT with a Reverb G2, so 90 fps would be the best solution. Unfortunately this is rarely (if at all) reachable with my hw and settings. So as I prefer the absolutely smoothest, glitch-free flight I'd rather limit the max fps to 45 (and avoid any motion reprojection) which gives silky smooth and much better experience than having 55-60 fps with hiccups. Technically my system can produce between 30 and 60 fps most of the time, with occassional 90 fps at high altitute depending on the aircraft and map.

This is nowhere near "fixed" 90 fps, far from it. Don't get me wrong: the current version with the last Win10 updates runs at 45 fps like a dream, it was never been so good. Kudos to ED!

I'm really curious how will Vulkan help by massively reducing the graphics overhead. If only the fixed 45 fps will be achievable anytime, anywhere with any plane without a single micro-stutter then I'll be more than happy. But Vulkan could be (theoretically) give much more boost - at least I hope so.

• HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

7 hours ago, draconus said:

People seem to have overblown expectations for Vulkan.  ED has publicly said on these forums (BigNewy or NineLine IIRC) that it will be good to have, but it's not going to magically cure all issues people have with FPS.  It will be another step forward, not a gigantic leap.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rob10 said:

People seem to have overblown expectations for Vulkan.  ED has publicly said on these forums (BigNewy or NineLine IIRC) that it will be good to have, but it's not going to magically cure all issues people have with FPS.  It will be another step forward, not a gigantic leap.

Well, based on the previously said information Vulkan would be more suitable for displaying areas which are densely populated with objects (like trees, houses etc.). This is much more important in VR where the resolution is higher and it's a must to render different views for the eyes.

This benchmark is 3 years old, but portrays the overhead differences between DX11 (ST and MT), DX12 and Vulkan APIs.

I know, this is not the EDGE engine, but very interesting to see the possibilities on a decent GPU (RTX 3090):

• Like 1