DCS Update discussion February 2024

BIGNEWY

6 hours ago, rob10 said:

not a gigantic leap

Perhaps not in 2D, but for VR it will be a game changer simply because the game engine will no longer be required to render every frame from scratch twice: it will be able to skip a few steps for the 2nd “eye”, if that makes sense.

Say if it can skip 50% of the render steps taken, instead of 100% for 1 eye + 100% for the other it would be 100% + 50%. That’s already a very substantial boost right there.

Also, MT should work quite a bit better with Vulkan than it does with DX11, especially when it comes to scaling on large core count CPUs.

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
  • Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

17 hours ago, rob10 said:

People seem to have overblown expectations for Vulkan.  ED has publicly said on these forums (BigNewy or NineLine IIRC) that it will be good to have, but it's not going to magically cure all issues people have with FPS.  It will be another step forward, not a gigantic leap.

The main problem people have with fps right now (I'm strictly talking 2D here - VR is a different topic), is expectations. DCS only has a general fps problem when you try to run top tier gfx setting with less than top tier gpus. In that case you're right - vulkan won't change that much. And it doesn't need to, because you can set up DCS right now on almost any (reasonable) hardware to run 60+ fps.

But right now this experience isn't consistent through all scanarios maps and aircrafts. There are more or less frequent bottlenecks, where the otherwise good frame rate tanks due to asset-streaming/AI-computing/weather-computing/whatever. And this is where vulkan (and MT for that matter) will alleviate the strain and produce a more fluid experience.

At least this is my understanding. Vulkan will not magically produce 90 fps where now is 60, but will help to loosen those clocked bottlenecks.

And comming full circle to VR. VR is a build in bottleneck for the same reasons and will therefore (hopefully) benefit in the same way.

• Like 6

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

On 3/14/2024 at 10:20 AM, Hiob said:

The main problem people have with fps right now (I'm strictly talking 2D here - VR is a different topic), is expectations. DCS only has a general fps problem when you try to run top tier gfx setting with less than top tier gpus. In that case you're right - vulkan won't change that much. And it doesn't need to, because you can set up DCS right now on almost any (reasonable) hardware to run 60+ fps.

But right now this experience isn't consistent through all scanarios maps and aircrafts. There are more or less frequent bottlenecks, where the otherwise good frame rate tanks due to asset-streaming/AI-computing/weather-computing/whatever. And this is where vulkan (and MT for that matter) will alleviate the strain and produce a more fluid experience.

At least this is my understanding. Vulkan will not magically produce 90 fps where now is 60, but will help to loosen those clocked bottlenecks.

And comming full circle to VR. VR is a build in bottleneck for the same reasons and will therefore (hopefully) benefit in the same way.

Amen on 'weather-computing'  my setting work great to get a solid 75FPS out a RX6700xt but introduce bad weather I can see 20-25fps frame drops on the same map with same assests etc..... 

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

38 minutes ago, Droning_On said:

Amen on 'weather-computing'  my setting work great to get a solid 75FPS out a RX6700xt but introduce bad weather I can see 20-25fps frame drops on the same map with same assests etc..... 

Yeah same here, rain is bad, snow is even worse.

• Like 3

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

33 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

snow is even worse

Yup I encountered campaign missions that were set in Winter, and snow reduces my framerate to sub-20. Not exactly pleasant in VR...

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I experienced that the rain and snow performance is hugely related to quality settings of the clouds. I know, that only ULTRA clouds can give perfect results without any aliasing, but with rain in VR it can result a slideshow even on a 3090. That's why I'm strictly using STANDARD clouds, with DLAA they are really nice with very subtle aliasing here and there.

• Like 1
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

• 2 weeks later...

Next week 4/4 could be the new 6 week eta for the new unified update … but we haven’t see nothing about upcoming features and things… i would expect some news this week..video, infos 😁😁😁 finger crossed

• Like 1

Terrain scenery performance: optimized instancing and improved and optimized streaming.

Late to the party but most definitely improved smoothness in VR since DCS 2.9.3.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 3/31/2024 at 1:03 PM, Bucic said:

Any changelog for  2.9.3.51704  ?

Here:

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

7 hours ago, Bucic said:

So there were no updates in March?

No, there weren't. Next update is planned for 3rd April.

• Thanks 1

On 2/29/2024 at 10:43 PM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Neither do I. But when I exit the F10 map everything is so overexposed it hurts my eyes. It takes a while for it to settle back to normal. I'd like to see that fixed 🤷‍♀️

I find hitting F2 or F3 after F10 removes the overexposure.....

• Like 1

System specs; i7 9700k 32GB RAM 2x1TB SSD Drives (1 DCS Dedicated) MSI Z390 MB. MSI GeForce RTX 3070. 4KTV monitor. Reverb G2 VR.Stock TM HOTAS. (Tm WartHog) Throttle. VBK MCG.

44 minutes ago, Badger1-1 said:

Can we have changelog for today plz?

They try... every single time 🤣

Seriously, no, you can't have it until the patch is live.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Badger1-1 said:

Love how you think youre not part of  "they"

I'm with the ones who stopped asking :thumbup:

• Like 4

• ED Team

Current version number: 2.9.3.51704 

Next planned update: 10th April 2024 ( subject to change )

Dear all, 

During recent checks QA found regression in spotting dots system and DCS:F-16C INS issues. We are working on fixes now and will need time to test everything again after fixes deployed. 

Apologies for the delay and thank you for your patience 

Eagle Dynamics 

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

31 minutes ago, WarbossPetross said:

You got WHAT?! :surprise:

😄 The forums sometimes have an older notification hung for a topic. It most probably happens because of strict cookie blocking policy I use in Firefox, both mobile and on desktop. uBlock Origin has some prey along the way probably as well.

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Current version number: 2.9.3.51704 

Next planned update: 10th April 2024 ( subject to change )

Dear all, 

During recent checks QA found regression in spotting dots system and DCS:F-16C INS issues. We are working on fixes now and will need time to test everything again after fixes deployed. 

Apologies for the delay and thank you for your patience 

Eagle Dynamics 

...and 1000 grown men all sigh a collective "Awwwww!" 😧

• Like 4

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

No surprise once more 😉

"During recent checks QA" - Surely this should have been done before announcing the patch date of 3rd April?

Edited by Ghost79
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Youtube channel @Flightenvy680

Banner 1.png