DCS: Afghanistan Announcement

8 hours ago, NineLine said:

We will do the entire country, I have asked for more info about further details.

Could you ask if we will get a bit of Pakistan? so we can use the F-16, JF-17 & Mi-8 from Pakistani airbases. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, YoYo said:

Also notice that this part was a calm compared to the east side during the last conficts. It's a little pity that this part was chosen to begin with.

Kandahar and Helmand were anything but. Americans weren’t the only forces in Afghanistan. British, Canadian, Dutch and many others were fighting and dying in regional command south for years. Yes Americans mostly focussed on the east, but it doesn’t mean the south was calm.

In fact the area just southwest of Kandahar (Panjwayi / Zhari) was the site of one of OEF’s biggest battles, Op Medusa.

Its also where the Mujahideen kicked the crap out of the Russians.

Edited by Sandman1330
  • Like 3

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Sandman1330:

In fact the area just southwest of Kandahar (Panjwayi / Zhari) was the site of one of OEF’s biggest battles, Op Medusa.

Its also where the Mujahideen kicked the crap out of the Russians.

...and it was the birth place/heartland of the Taliban movement!

Definitely NOT a calm and quiet place. 😆

• Like 5

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• ED Team
6 hours ago, Steve Gee said:

Can you ask if there are any plans to add water for naval flight operations to it as well when you're asking?

We have asked, if we can share anything we will. Thanks

5 hours ago, ak22 said:

Could you ask if we will get a bit of Pakistan? so we can use the F-16, JF-17 & Mi-8 from Pakistani airbases. 

I have asked, but currently the focus is within the borders of Afghanistan. Thanks.

8 hours ago, YoYo said:

Thx. I hope and fingers crossed!

No need for hope it will happen, the whole of Afghanistan will be completed in phases. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Thx!

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

8 hours ago, shagrat said:

Afghanistan isn't a desert, it has two smaller Desert Parts. It is a high mountain range bracketed by steppe, with dense forests in the eastern mountains, snow capped peaks, lush river valleys, agricultural plains and urban areas.

The key for DCS is, Afghanistan saw one of the longest conflicts in the world that is incredibly well documented.

On top it hosted fighting for the majority of aircraft we have in DCS. Eastern and Western.

Waiting for this map since the A-10C beta! 😍🥰❤️

It's called reading comprehension perhaps you should Google it. I never said Afghanistan was a "desert map" did I? 

Edited by rfxcasey

On 3/22/2024 at 7:38 PM, Gunfreak said:

Well with the Afghanistan map we'll also get new infantry models and animations. (And I hope new ground units accuracy modeling) especially for the type of combat we'll see in Afghanistan.

You got close air support for F18, F16, A10 etc. Very close air support from Apache, Gazelle and Kiowa (when it comes)

I recommend reading Apache Dawn and Socuts out for scenario ideas.

Soon(TM)?

Hey, you missed the venerable Harrier! Sacrilige!

...and for ideas about exciting, true-to-life missions I strongly suggest this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002RI9FOA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

4 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

Hey, you missed the venerable Harrier! Sacrilige!

...and for ideas about exciting, true-to-life missions I strongly suggest this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002RI9FOA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Indeed! Will be awesome flying the Harrier low and fast down the fertile poppy clad valley of Helmand River.

I do hope they model the poppies.

Apache Dawn mentions how colourful it was with red, pink, purple poppies.

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Just now, Silver_Dragon said:

Check first post.

oh it was mentioned.
thanks

The airfields that will be available at launch include Kandahar, Herat, Bost, Camp Bastion, Chaghcharan, Dwyer, Farah, Maymana Zahiraddin Faryabi, Qala i Naw, Shindand, Tirinkot, and Zaranj

• Like 1

cropped-GVAW_RC2.png

DCS INDONESIA COMMUNITY
Garuda virtual Air Wing
Official Website | Discord | Facebook | Instagram

2 hours ago, Thump said:

Once again, you missed the point.  Thanks. 

You don't like ED's decision.  We get it.  Teach them a lesson and don't buy it.  The people hating on this map here before it even hits EA aren't going to change the plan.  There are others who are looking forward to it.

• Like 5

I don't really see the problem. ED already stated several times that the whole country will eventually come to the game. We already have some really nice maps to play, so why all the drama about waiting a few months to get it. I'll get the map when it releases, but I'll certainly keep enjoying Syria too, which is my favourite one to date.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Arennord said:

I don't really see the problem. ED already stated several times that the whole country will eventually come to the game. We already have some really nice maps to play, so why all the drama about waiting a few months to get it. I'll get the map when it releases, but I'll certainly keep enjoying Syria too, which is my favourite one to date.

While I agree to your statement overall, the take about "a few months" is pretty optimistic. 😉

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 11:50 AM, NineLine said:

Well the joy of DCS is much of the content isn't 100% based on real life. We have Cold War server with many more bullets fired than the Cold War I remember. Modern Engagements that I don't remember happening, DCS is a sandbox, we are giving you the stuff to play in different parts of the world. And maybe the real-world activities between 2008-2010 are not your thing, I bet there are just as many that it is their thing, or can expand on it. I expect some cool campaigns and missions to be done as have been done with all our terrains.

I so appreciate what you said.  I've turned the Caucuses map into a sandbox for reenacting a current war nearby with the weapons used by the main combatants.

Also thanks for the reminders the Afghan map is coming in phases.

Edited by AvgeekJoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelPig said:

While I agree to your statement overall, the take about "a few months" is pretty optimistic. 😉

Well, honestly, I thought on writing a couple years instead of that, but decided to keep it optimistic 🤣

• Like 2

I am very excited for this map.

While it's been stated that the map will focus within the borders of Afghanistan and very possibly won't have much from outside western Afghanistan for the early access version, the announcement listed the Dasht e Kavir and Dasht e Lut, both of which are deep in Iranian territory and not in Afghanistan whatsoever.

Development Progress

We have made substantial progress in recreating the diverse landscape of Afghanistan. This includes the rugged mountain ranges of the Hindu Kush, the vast deserts of the Dasht-e Kavir and Dasht-e Lut, and the fertile valleys and river basins. 

In the case of the Kavir, you're only 100km from Tehran itself on the western edge of that desert. For the Dasht e Lut, you're still about 100km within the Iranian border from Afghanistan. They're both well outside the orange box delineating the map area in the first announcement (see the rough areas in the attached image). 

I'd be very excited if that region is indeed going to be included in the map at some point, as I'd love to recreate Iran's anti-smuggler and anti-Taliban COIN operations of recent decades. So I'll ask--the verbiage in the announcement seems to contradict the within-border focus and the delineated map area if those two deserts are part of the map. Are they indeed going to be included in the finished release (doesn't sound like it for the EE I am guessing)? 

Thanks!

Kavir and Lut and Kush vs EE Map Area.jpg

• Like 2

JF-17, F-14, A-10CII, F-5, Mirage F-1, M-2000C, L-39, Mig-21, F-4, FC3, Syria, PG

On 3/24/2024 at 7:31 PM, Thump said:

Once again, you missed the point.  Thanks. 

Just a little FYI, what your priorities are for the map are not everyone else's necessarily. A hell of lot happened in the area being concentrated on first. I get that it might not be of general interest or maybe even personal to you, but it is to others. Buy it or don't buy it, pretty simple.

And just generally in response to the whole thread, ED have repeatedly now said the whole country is coming as development progresses, so its rather pointless anyone complaining there personal focus area isn't at the fore. Maybe I'm more easily pleased than many other DCS users appear to be, but I've always enjoyed getting modules and maps at early access, and reading each patch notes as to find out what new toys and bits I'm getting next. Same will happen with this map. I'm particularly looking forward to flying over the Hindu Kush in the future.

• Like 5

On 3/24/2024 at 4:39 PM, rob10 said:

You don't like ED's decision.  We get it.  Teach them a lesson and don't buy it.  The people hating on this map here before it even hits EA aren't going to change the plan.  There are others who are looking forward to it.

1) That point that you quoted doesn't apply to you.

2) When ya tease Afghanistan by giving Bagram coordinates and then don't include Bagram....They could have done themselves a solid and did...I don't know, a part of the map on release?  Kandahar is a moderately known location/base.

3) You can look forward to it all day long.  Me voicing my astonishment as to their prioritization after 20 years of U.S. conflict in the area where the lion's share was in the East on the Pak border shouldn't change that. 

On 3/26/2024 at 3:16 PM, DD_fruitbat said:

Just a little FYI, what your priorities are for the map are not everyone else's necessarily. A hell of lot happened in the area being concentrated on first. I get that it might not be of general interest or maybe even personal to you, but it is to others. Buy it or don't buy it, pretty simple.

And just generally in response to the whole thread, ED have repeatedly now said the whole country is coming as development progresses, so its rather pointless anyone complaining there personal focus area isn't at the fore. Maybe I'm more easily pleased than many other DCS users appear to be, but I've always enjoyed getting modules and maps at early access, and reading each patch notes as to find out what new toys and bits I'm getting next. Same will happen with this map. I'm particularly looking forward to flying over the Hindu Kush in the future.

You're free to buy it, enjoy it, and play with the toys that they give you.  I would put money on far more people being familiar with Bagram, Kabul, Jalalabad, Mazar E Sharif, FOB Shank, & the Khost bowl to include the borders along Pakistan than what is in the West, hence my comment.  Not gunna buy it in this state....pretty simple.

Edit: You are now how the excellent opportunity to pay for Afghanistan 3 times since apparently the country is fractured into West, East, & North.....

Edited by Thump