MiG-21bis Project

Thanks for the site Third :) I got a ton of mig pics, i could fill a whole room with it.

Sky Eagle, unfortunately, the file you gmailed me is corrupt, could you send it again please :) ?

Again, A bit late on my part, but that is AMAZING work! Just by a quick visual, your model looks basically done and read-to-go! The skin looks pretty realistic, but some more weathering would be a great addition to give it that good ol' Russian Iron look. You should ask Mig-mag or Mitch to skin for ya...Their work is phenomenal.

So are you planning on actually making the cockpit from scratch, and working out All the cockpit functions and systems?? Is that even possible with your modeling tool? I mean you could model the exterior model and plane, But doesnt undertaking the systems, huds, and ect warrant extensive coding that only the Dev's can touch?

Anyway, Glad to see the Bison on work...hope to see more updates soon!!

Thanks :) you should not forget Johan's work though, he did most work, im just refining / redoing the mesh to be possibly used in lomac. When im done i will most certainly contact one of them, if they want :)

By cockpit i meant the canopy, it needs still quite some work :) im not going to model the entire cockpit exactly from the inside, just try to view the cockpit of any of the models in lomac from an external view :)

Ill post more updates soon, currently im trying to animate the rear landing gear properly.

Looking simply amazing, but do you believe that we will be able to fly one of this someday in Lomac?

Depends, if the devs want it in. Maybe not, because it doesn't fit in the timeframe according to some. My opinion; this game is situated in the 80'(?), mig21-bis's were flown then by several airforces active in the region, so imho it fits in the current game. But, future addon's seem to focus on an later era, so who knows, in that case ill problaby donate the plane to another (maybe opensource) sim.

migtoon0xo.gif

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks :) , im having a hard time animating the rear wheels properly :(

Everything is animated properly, except the rear wheels. I only hope someone can show me how the rear wheels retract. I want to do it realistically.

The main landing gear has a pretty simple design and thus it retracts with a simple motion. It's retracted by a hydraulic cylinder(seen on the framed picture) and rotates toward and slightly forward(35-40 deg) to the center line. It has only one point of rotation and it is where the gear is attached to the wing. The tyre gets inside a bay in the fuselage and then the lower cowling retracts to close the bay(rotates around hinges mounted on the bottom edge of the bay, note- it's motion is initiated by the moving gear, not by another hydraulic unit.) When the gear deploys everything goes in reverse.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

The main landing gear has a pretty simple design and thus it retracts with a simple motion. It's retracted by a hydraulic cylinder(seen on the framed picture) and rotates toward and slightly forward(35-40 deg) to the center line. It has only one point of rotation and it is where the gear is attached to the wing. The tyre gets inside a bay in the fuselage and then the lower cowling retracts to close the bay(rotates around hinges mounted on the bottom edge of the bay, note- it's motion is initiated by the moving gear, not by another hydraulic unit.) When the gear deploys everything goes in reverse.

Thank you, will give it a go now :)

migtoon0xo.gif

Allochtoon,

Fantastic work! :D

You wrote:

50.800 polys, but i can cut alot away still, but i have to add a new pilot object, and i can move the detail level a bit at some places.

Just a thought - if you are building the model for Lock-on, then the external fuel tanks should be seperated from the aircraft model and thus not be counted into the total poly count for the aircraft - as you know, things like weapons, fueltanks and pods are seperate objects assigned to the aircraft object via the MEinit.

I believe that also the pilot is a seperate shape, which can be added or removed - e.g. for static aircraft or after landing(AI aircraft).

Anyway, I dont know much about 3D modelling, or how much difference the above makes, but I thought it worth mentioning :)

- JJ.

JJ

Two more things I forgot to mention:

1. The AB cone is huge with a 2-3m flame outside the engine outlet and unlike the newer generation fighters/engines it doesn't have "diamond shape"- the circles down along the cone.

2. The drag chute has a circular shape.

But I assume that as a minor notes, your 3D model looks great! Keep it going that way!

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey allochtoon,

how is the mig 21 coming along?

can u finish it soon so that we can atleast get it as an AI aircraft from ED :)

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Allochton i suppose you made really great work based on bad plans. :icon_frow

This book includes in my opinion best plans of MIG-21MF:

http://obchod.aeromedia.cz/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_29_8&products_id=705

With good plans of MF you can make BIS modification. I have some russian plans of all versions but they are not good as that book.

If you are interested there are many photos of Czech MIG-21MFs:http://211.airspace.cz/

Drawing of "5603" on main page is wrong in outlines, i have new version basen on photograps but it is MIG-21R meanwhile.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Any news Allochtoon?

bumpity bump

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

i 185 have got 7 days ban. reason: flooding forums after getting few warnings.

"There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, which leads to destruction; cowardice, which leads to capture; a hasty temper, which can be provoked by insults; a delicacy of honor which is sensitive to shame; over-solicitude for his men, which exposes him to worry and trouble." Sun Tzu

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic2354_5.gif[/sigpic]

• 3 months later...

I was wondering too if it would be possible for a MIG-21 to be taken into acount seriously now.

Maybe MIG-21 Lancer? So Romania could enter the "war" :P. You know... Romania is on the west of the game map actualy... maybe a future expansion of the map too :) .

Also we (roamanians) might buy some F16s for the future... it could be very interesting...

What do you say?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I haven't been around for few days. Allochtoon, fantastic work. If there's still something about MiG-21 that you need, shout. I'll try to get it for you. I have contacts within 31stAB/3ELT and Def.Academy - I suppose they could help. Have you sorted that rear-gear animation?

Oh, and when you finish the MiG-21bis project, how about creating MiG-21FM too?

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer