DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

This borrowed directly from a post from PeterP

(Yes - I know how hard it is for some of you to look it up your own in the options ...)

Disable/Pause your Track-IR/Head-tracker while doing it !

"Num/ - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Back

"Num5" Cockpit Camera Move Center

"Num2 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Down

"Num* - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Forward

"Num8 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Up

"Num8" Turn Cockpit Camera Up

"Num2" Turn Cockpit Camera Down

"Num/" FOV- aka Zoom-in

"Num*" FOV+ aka Zoom-out

"NumEnter" Default FOV aka Zoom

Once you are satisfied , after using above key-commands,

just use following key-command to save this view as default:

"RAlt+Num0" Save current Cockpit view as default for this vehicle

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=96116

cheers

Hans

• Like 2

Stand Alone vs DCS World

Hello,

I am new to DCS World but not new to DCS A-10C. I am wondering if playing DCS A-10C module (singleplayer) on DCS World will be in any way different from the stand alone version. Are the campaigns, patches, environment all the same? I have been a little confused on this as I could have sworn I saw some different settings available (preload distance?) on DCS World that were not on my stand alone. I am using steam version of everything but am unable to open DCS World due to it not opening. Crashes every time I try to run it for whatever reason but the stand alone works fine..

DCS A-10 standalone, has not been patched in 3 years so it is very different from DCS World.

What is your hardware and OS. DCS World no longer supports 32bit OS which might be part of the issue that you are having.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Ahh ok so my experience may be very different playing the stand alone than on DCS World! Thanks. I have windows 7 64, GTX 760, i7 4770k, 16gb RAM. Run everything maxed but probably shouldnt.. on the stand alone I get significant stuttering and slow downs while looking around on deck, and in combat (expected). I guess some of the patches in the last 3 years may have optimized the game a bit.. Are the locations you fly in the campaign all very similar? I love the terrain in DCS stand alone... wanted to make sure I wont be missing out on this by playing it in DCS world.. At the moment DCS world wont run.. Worked fine for a few weeks and then randomly I get the message "DCS has stopped working" after a few seconds once I double click on the DCS World icon. I figured I would have to reinstall.. but I had no idea that the experience playing DCS A-10C in the standalone is different from in DCS world.. if I understand you correctly it could be quite different due to lack of patches. This is the first time I am really playing DCS A-10 campaign so I wanted to make sure I am doing it the "best" way available today..

Your system should run DCS World quite well. Please post the exact error, along with any crash logs you might have, and we can probably sort your installation problem.

The locations/terrain and campaign are the same but improvements throughout the program could improve your overall experience (especially with a good rig, which you have).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hmm I am not sure how to get crash logs.. I can try to figure that out haha. I double click the DCS World icon, steam window opens making select a product key, runs "first time initialization steps 1 and 2" and then "bin launcher.exe" black box appears briefly and then I get the message "DCS has stopped working_ A problem caused the program t sop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I am excited to hear that I will most likely get a performance increase.. I was slightly disappointed at the slower frame rate than I expected.

well i just tried the A-10C module in DCS World and the difference is remarkable.. WAY better performance even at max settings, and so many things are improved.. water effects, gun effects, smoke, mirrors, explosions, even seemed that the flight model was tweaked but could be my imagination. Anyways HUGE difference and unfortunately I wouldnt be surprised if there were others out there confused about this like I was. All this time playing it on out dated stand alone haha. Thanks for the info

So DCS World is now installed and running? If so, just chalk it up to gremlins and carry on! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Two quick questions:

- Where in the CDU can I find the correct bearing from one waypoint to the other, so that I can enter it in the HDI?

- How do I not show waypoints on the HUD while in NAV mode? Especially while landing that waypoint square sits right on the runway and it irks me. Granted I can land just fine, but still.

- What is the exact procedure for ILS landing? Everything goes fine in the training mission but I can't get the yellow bars to appear in a simple navigaton mission I've made. I set the ILS panel to the correct frequency, switch it on, select ILS on the NMSP. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Edited by Gliptal

- CDU->NAV->ATTRIB, when in Flightplan mode, it will read "Dial HSI to XXX.X" this is the course from your previous WP to your current.

- For the yellow FD bars to appear, you have to switch them on with the switch below the HSI

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

- CDU->NAV->ATTRIB, when in Flightplan mode, it will read "Dial HSI to XXX.X" this is the course from your previous WP to your current.

- For the yellow FD bars to appear, you have to switch them on with the switch below the HSI

Thanks!

Anyone about the HUD thing?

set ILS frequency and turn on ILS radio (on your right thigh), near the hip.

on NMSP, select ILS

on HSI, dial in intercept course, then on ADI, uncage the needle.

to remove the waypoint from the HUD, cycle the previous waypoint after CDU/Flightplan/Auto-> change to MAN with LSK nex to it.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

set ILS frequency and turn on ILS radio (on your right thigh), near the hip.

on NMSP, select ILS

on HSI, dial in intercept course, then on ADI, uncage the needle.

to remove the waypoint from the HUD, cycle the previous waypoint after CDU/Flightplan/Auto-> change to MAN with LSK nex to it.

Thanks, I was missing the uncage part.

Nice workaround for the HUD question.

It's simple don't place the airport in your flight plan. Otherwise adapt to it.
Allright, I'll just pretend it's not there or use WildBill's idea.

I also find the WP on the runway annoying, so I just switch to another WP. Problem solved.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I also find the WP on the runway annoying, so I just switch to another WP. Problem solved.

Agreed.

This might sound a bit strange, but especially to get a good feeling for the plane itself and get really accommodated with it, simply switch the HUD to Standby on the AACP (HUD mode section right switch to STBY).

Now use only speedometer on the front panel and the "donut" (AoA indicator on the left side of the HUD) to control your approach... After a little bit of nasty crashes in front of the runway or too fast and bouncy touchdowns you will see it clicks and you can comfortably land totally ignoring the HUD.

This training comes in handy in lots of situations, like crosswinds where the speed numbers are blown to the side or obstructed and you simply glance at the airspeed or when hit and/or EGI failure does not show the TVV and a lot more situations... And you won't have any problems any more with additional symbology like WP markers etc., for sure.

The next level is IFR landing in low visibility... That is still pushing my skill limits every time.

In general it is a very good idea to train not to rely too much on the HUD early. It helps a lot to understand and feel the plane, especially in situations where you can't look at the HUD.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The HUD isn't even a primary instrument as far as I know, unlike in the F-16. The A-10 is still intended to be flown in real life using the main cockpit instruments that conspicuously occupy the heart of the centre console. Using the standby HUD mode is indeed an excellent way to instruct yourself in how to fly the airplane as a real pilot would before they ever get near something that has the green stuff.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Hmm, I mainly rely on the HUD because of the FPM. Landings just get so easy with that.

EDIT: Ok I just noticed that every time I go to park after landing my speedbrakes are always fully extracted. I'm pretty sure I'm not enabling them by accident, is this automatic?

Edited by Gliptal

Hmm, I mainly rely on the HUD because of the FPM. Landings just get so easy with that.

That's exactly what I meant. It is so easy and you quickly rely on that things, not looking at the "real" instruments... Believe me, I was there, and it is hard to unlearn that.

Now when you get hit in a mission and want/need to get the bird back in one piece, you'll notice the TVV is dependent on lots of systems.

...and if you ever need to bring the plane down in IFR conditions, you need to look at the instruments anyway, as the HUD is, well, pretty useless.

I had a lot of tries where I lost confidence on the approach and first glanced at the HUD, then stared at the HUD, then tried do penetrate the mist and desperately searched for any visual trace of the runway... Ouch time!

Try flying basics and especially landing without HUD really helps.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

No it is not automatic.
Strange, they open every time. Maybe it's my X52 acting up.

That's exactly what I meant. It is so easy and you quickly rely on that things, not looking at the "real" instruments... Believe me, I was there, and it is hard to unlearn that.

Now when you get hit in a mission and want/need to get the bird back in one piece, you'll notice the TVV is dependent on lots of systems.

...and if you ever need to bring the plane down in IFR conditions, you need to look at the instruments anyway, as the HUD is, well, pretty useless.

I had a lot of tries where I lost confidence on the approach and first glanced at the HUD, then stared at the HUD, then tried do penetrate the mist and desperately searched for any visual trace of the runway... Ouch time!

Try flying basics and especially landing without HUD really helps.

Allright, I'll do that. One thing I noticed though is that ILS seems to be way too off to properly use it to land IFR. e.g. if I were to follow the needles while landing on Batumi runway 13 I'd never make it safely. The roll bar is especially off.
Edited by Gliptal

Strange, they open every time. Maybe it's my X52 acting up.

Allright, I'll do that. One thing I noticed though is that ILS seems to be way too off to properly use it to land IFR. e.g. if I were to follow the needles while landing on Batumi runway 13 I'd never make it safely. The roll bar is especially off.

You're doing something wrong then.