Take On Helicopter - New game by Bohemia Interactive

Eight Ball

One more thing. TKOH, like other BIS games is extremely moddable. Take a look at other helicopter sims with open architecture - compare vanilla EECH to Arneh's Hind or default Bell 206 in FS9/FSX to Dodosim one.

With BIS support (they've already announced FM fixes in upcoming patch) and community work TKOH has enormous potential.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing. TKOH, like other BIS games is extremely moddable. Take a look at other helicopter sims with open architecture - compare vanilla EECH to Arneh's Hind or default Bell 206 in FS9/FSX to Dodosim one.

With BIS support (they've already announced FM fixes in upcoming patch) and community work TKOH has enormous potential.

Yes, at least the modability is a PRO. Don`t think that a patch can make me warm with the FM at all, though I will see.

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

I got a similar problem like EagleEye. I started the campaign shortly after the release of the first patch and I really enjoyed it. TKOH is the game I waited for since SimCopter (:D) and they did almost everthing to make it a pleasure but the FM which is tuned in the next patch can be a real show stopper. I crashed 3 times yesterday where I simply had to land on a field and I crashed three times. Fortunately it saves quite often. Remark: I successfully landed many times before + several sling load missions including rescues from a ship. In some cases the FM is just not controllable. They just need to get out this agrressive rolling tendency and the collective needs to be tuned as well so you can descend more effectively. I see all of that under the game tag and it seriously won´t harm TKOH if those things get sorted out in the next patch.

It doesn´t has to be super real but at least it should be contrallable similar to a real chopper.

Looking forward to the patch.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quite cool the level of detail for startup.:thumbup:

What detail?

No instruments to turn on

No lights (interior/exterior)

No tests

No Engine temp

No warning/caution lights

No Fuel indication (to check prior to start-up)

Really, they bother calling it Authentic but don't dare to say on the website which helicopters they modeled?

And then they expect me to believe this?

Built upon over 10 years of experience in cutting-edge simulator development, Take On Helicopters immerses players within rich, expansive landscapes and authentic flight dynamics.

Take On Helicopters offers:

• High fidelity flight dynamics modelling
  • Richly modelled helicopters & cockpits
  • Expansive & detailed environments
  • Powerful & intuitive mission editor
  • Multiplayer – co-op & competitive scenarios

Cutting edge simulator experience? From ARMA????

Yeah right, and my uncle will be buying Microsoft next week just because he can.

Twill probably become a hit though, not because its good but because its being advertised as such.

~S~

ps, nothing against you in person SUBS17

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Yea that is pretty misleading

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS:WIN7 HP X64|MOBO:ASRock Z68|CPU:I52500k@4Ghz|RAM:12Gb 3x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 @1600Mhz|GPU:ASUS GTX580|HDD:2x128Gb Crucial sataIII SSD raid0|PSU:Antek 1000watt|Case:Antek 1200|Peripherals: TMWH|Saitek ProFlight rudder pedals|TrackIr4

What detail?

No instruments to turn on

No lights (interior/exterior)

No tests

No Engine temp

No warning/caution lights

No Fuel indication (to check prior to start-up)

Really, they bother calling it Authentic but don't dare to say on the website which helicopters they modeled?

And then they expect me to believe this?

Cutting edge simulator experience? From ARMA????

Yeah right, and my uncle will be buying Microsoft next week just because he can.

Twill probably become a hit though, not because its good but because its being advertised as such.

~S~

ps, nothing against you in person SUBS17

Its more than what we have in Arma, question is though about that startup a comparison between that and the real one and then post it on the BiS forums. They can probably add that stuff later.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

10 years of experience in cutting-edge simulator

.... and authentic flight dynamics.

They don't say what TYPE of sims they've worke don :D For ground combat and small arms ballistics sims available to the general public, ArmA and VBS are two of the best out there.

High fidelity flight dynamics modelling

Richly modelled helicopters & cockpits

Compared to the models and FM's most gamers have experience with, this is not entirely false at all.

ToH is a Gateway Simulator.

Remember, study simmers like those here are not the targeted audience. They're targeting a more casual audience, but that can benefit the more advanced sim community. Some of the folks who get ToH will probably hear about DCS and such and wind up buying it. If so, then ToH was the reason they got here.

Don't bash Gateway Sims or Sim-Lite's as often referred to. They can do our small community in the gaming world some good ;)

Bit the bullet and bought it last night although it still downloading 10 hours later, I quite like the choppers in Arma and Battlefield for that matter, not realistic but fun and missions so I will see how this goes, I like the fact that the Mod community in Arma is so big, hopefull some will turn their hands to ToH and the game will have plenty of longevity, I am more interested in missions and gameplay than flight realism in this game, DCS is enough for the serious sim and I need so escapism to compliment that!

The MD500 (or whichever variant of the 500 it is) looks pretty good, although I have not stared at it very hard. The other one that I saw, that sort of looks like a Bell 412...well, it looks like a lot of helicopters and none of them, all at the same time...so I guess there is a licensing issue there with Bell Helicopter Textron.

I'm a hardcore DCS pilot, but even I was stunned by TKOH, it's one of the finest flight games out thanks to the core narrative and just how involved it gets you with the gameplay.

Read and vehemently disagree with my review here: http://www.ripten.com/2011/11/11/ripten-review-take-on-helicopters/

:D

DCS 161 (Recce) Squadron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My question would be thus:

Does it have a realistic Flight Model?

This quotation from the Project Lead "we made a choice to not try to be a procedure trainer" seems to indicate that it's not simulated as well as it could/should be. That's a great pity and as such holds little interest for me personally.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I cant get on with it. On advanced FM mode i flop all over the place, and the trim is unstable. (not to mention taking off results in rocketing backwards and flipping over without massive trim), Ive had discussions on their forums but not a satisfactory one IMO so have stopped playing until the big patch comes out. going to the beginner/basic FM seems to miss the point to me.

And i'm not just being a helo n00b as i can fly the shark pretty well for a capitalist imperialist pigdog

Edited by coolts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

So, do they model VRS yet? What about retreating blade stall? Rotor cone inclination? Ze list goes on...

Same with DCS Black Shark... If you want to be picky on that also than the list will go on and on for that game also. Maybe its the closest thing to reality simms we have now. But its still not reality and we can find tons and tons of things that are not implemented or not done right.

So.. Ze list goes on for DCS also.

Look at it from the game its own perspective...

DCS and FC2 are awesome and my personal fav's and everybody knows they are one or maybe the best simm out there. But your sounding so arrogant with that comment. Like if you dont have all that stuff its instantly rubbish... Maybe it is for you. But TOH is actually a great game and simmulates enough to be called a light simm. And its extremely fun to play. Seems fun isn't in your dicionary..... only FULL boring realism flying only training missions with the Black Shark because the Real life pilots in the blackshark do the same.

I can understand people wont like the game.. but some comments on this forum are only from their own personal perspective without seeing the bigger picture. Especially form the ED tester TEAM.

Its the same attitude as with Falcon. Thats a fantastic flight simm also but its talked down on these forums like it is some kind of HAWX.

Edited by winchesterdelta1
  • Like 1

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

A community patch addressing some of the FM issues has been released. I haven't tried it myself.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=127835

Edit: I didn't mind the stock FM for now reason--the more I practiced the better I beck. I could hover reasonable and land approximetly where I wanted. So I'm forward to trying this.

Edited by hassata

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
Same with DCS Black Shark... If you want to be picky on that also than the list will go on and on for that game also. Maybe its the closest thing to reality simms we have now. But its still not reality and we can find tons and tons of things that are not implemented or not done right.

Like what? Tons and tons of what? Not really a good argument when you have to resort to "lots of stuff". Whatever it is, BS is still the standard in heli sims.

And its extremely fun to play. Seems fun isn't in your dicionary..... only FULL boring realism flying only training missions with the Black Shark because the Real life pilots in the blackshark do the same.

And you must have missed the fun factor in BS cos you make no mention of how fun the actual game is. You conveniently forget that aspect. But going by your analogy, I'd rather try and blow up a tank than cart around containers. So you want to replace the RL experience of a military attack chopper pilot with the RL experience of a commercial civil helicopter pilot? I know which one I'd rather choose.

You're right though, Take On is a sim lite and given the hype it generated before release (Ultra realistic FM) a little gloating would probably be expected. Me, I'd rather try to experience heli flight as close to the real thing as possible and that's not Take On atm.

as a standalone "game" its not bad at all. The Editor is as flexible as any of the older Arma2 editors and allows for scripts etc. Graphics are not to bad but not brilliant either. Only really annoying thing to me is the clouds. They look pretty yes, but then you notice how they change when you move your head then its just annoying hehe. Its like noticing a mistake in a film, then you can never watch that film again without seeing the mistake.

Sort of regretting my purchase. The FM is admittedly a bit better than ARMA's (which is pretty bad), but it's decidedly a low-fidelity simulator. I get this overwhelming feeling of flying through syrup. Might try the link hassata posted, but just a suggestion for anyone expecting Black Shark level flying: try the demo first.

DCS Wiki! :book:

Community Update 3 for light heli FM is available(should also work with the demo):

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=128221

From reading the ToH forums the problem seems that the values given in the heli`s xml files are somewhat strange. So the community have to do stuff like code/ test/ troubleshoot/ code/ test/ troubleshoot... That is very time consuming and annoying, so I thank people doing that for me.:thumbup:

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals