DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

The premise is that I am a customer, a client who has a passion for this simulator , for aircraft , for the simulation:

the proof is that over time, I have bought lock-on, then flaming cliffs 2, then DCS:A10c, KA50, Flaming Cliffs 3, KA50 2, P51 mustang, UH- 1H, and lately the last beautuful Mi8.

So, after having said that, I believe that I have the right to express my opinion and my desires.

I do not know how it will be EDGE, I wish for it all the best in the world, but, given the screenshots that were shown, I can not continue to hide myself behind auspices unfounded.

If I look at the graphics, I'm sorry if I repeat, I do not see anything revolutionary, and a strong revolution to a dated and poor graphic quality as of DCS now, it would take and desiderable.

To see the gold where is not there, it is scrambling on mirrors, and it is useless.

If I had seen, or even just saw the improvement graph ( as for the sound ) which I am hoping from many years, then I would be here to say other things, but I can't catch a glimpse of it through the telescope.. then I care and I want to express my doubts / wishes / advice from the customer side to the manufacturer. That's it.

It`s 2014 in "combat" flight simulation and this is what it looks like. There is not a product out there for you to compare to that looks better. because there is always a flaw in the comparison. because nothing else does combat quite like DCS in the mainstream market. I think you are comparing it to your expectations based on everything that isn't a combat flight sim like DCS.

Again this motivation, in the 2014, where there are cpu esacore, quad gpu systems with a lot of GBytes of memory, and we can put 32gb of ram in our pc with not much money.. With this power, I would expect much more than the design of 15 years ago, if you permit.

To continue the game of "combat flight" vs "graphic flight", one can't live with the other one, or one exclude the other one, for me has not sense actually.

I believe that it is possible to merge both aspects and have something beautiful. 15/10 years ago wasn't possible, but at these days yes.

Just for fun I had a look at screenshots from ORBX and GEX. EDGE comes quite close to the level of detail at airports that you can see there and in some cases even surpasses it clearly.

It is not a shame to watch and compare other things for to have an idea of there is out of the windows in this world. :)

Anyway, I don't agree with you, I can't see this level of details from the screenshots of airports that I saw here.

The crowds - ok, there are no women in dresses and kids on their BMX bikes strolling around on the airfields in DCS, but that is something I for myself can live without.

To try to make ridicolous my intections doesn't give any improvement to the situation. Nobody here is talking about to wish kids on their BMX on airfield in DCS.

REX looks stunning of course, but this project clearly focusses on the realism of weather effects. Should ED work exclusively on their weather engine for a year so it´ll look just like that?

Yes, I agree (how couldn't be so), with REX addon, it could looks wonderful and the immersion could gain a strong improvement, so why not to walk in this direction.

I am ED worker, so I am not able to value if it could be good or bad idea to work on it internally, or just to try to integrate something beautiful in their simulator.

I think the second choice would be easier, for both sides, but it would be better to listen who can speak on it, not me.

In terms of immersion ED is going the right way (slowly, ok): the new sounds in the 1.2.7 open beta prove that.

Yes, little bit slow, I agree.. about the sounds in the 1.2.7 still hadn't opportunity to prove it, I'm little bit skeptic to believe to don't find still "robotic" unrealistic sounds, but I wish with all myself that sounds will be another world, finally. waiting the release of 1.2.7 and I will tell what I think :)

You should reserve judgement until EDGE is actually released.

We all know little to nothing about ED´s concrete plans regarding any of this.

Look my introduction, there you can find my best "judgement": I bought every product of ED. :)

And this, doesn't exclude to wish improvements as to suggest when necessary.

Again, I wait, but for the moment, for what I saw, I have not good sensations.

And even without EDGE, DCS so looks nothing like games from 1999, especially not flight sims... smile.gif

I am sorry, but concerning the graphic and especially the sounds, absolutely yes, it looks like very outdate.

Edited by sereupin

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but that is preposterous.

Denial. Denial. Denial. I already posted the pics once under another name. They looked the same. And you guys denied it back then. Posting them again won't do any good. If you guys want to see the comparison, go dig. Keyword Infiltration or UT1 will probably find them. But if even the moderators / testers are going to deny it, I feel like I'm wasting my breath.

Agreed. The graphics in EDGE so far look like Unreal Tournament 1 ( actually less )

Yeah I'm really not seeing it. I'd like to see ORBX type scenery as much as anybody in DCS but EDGE is looking pretty nice to me... and it isn't finished yet so it will ony get better. Lets give it a fighting chance.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Denial. Denial. Denial. I already posted the pics once under another name. They looked the same. And you guys denied it back then. Posting them again won't do any good. If you guys want to see the comparison, go dig. Keyword Infiltration or UT1 will probably find them. But if even the moderators / testers are going to deny it, I feel like I'm wasting my breath.

it doesnt look like UT1, it looks more like arma1 with better lighting, and thats not bad when it comes to flight sims.

ED needs to change the lighting put in tons of bloom, sun shafts on every single shadow, and a bunch of motion blur, and then everyone will be screaming like little girls and saying how it looks like Crysis or something

*sigh*

Edited by karambiatos

I don't understand why there needs to be debate about EDGE look every week, when nobody even saw how EDGE in DCS looks like. All images are from some terrain viewer with simplified rendering, but some folks can apparently see to the future.
Until ED are ready to release actual in-game screenshots along with a confirmation the debate and criticizing will continue, and I can see how some people feel let down with the current screenshots. They put their hopes up too high and are expecting the holy grail of simulator graphics engines.

When I watch those Corsica EDGE videos from the Mi-8 simulator I know what the engine is capable of, even if it's been run on an incredibly powerful computer. People just need to have a little faith, but at the same time not expect too much.

RimOnBlue.png

F/A-18C - A-10C - FC3 - L-39C/ZA - Ka-50 - UH-1H - Mi-8MTV2 - F-86F - Spitfire - P-51D - P-47D - BF-109K - CA

I am sorry, but concerning the graphic and especially the sounds, absolutely yes, it looks like very outdate.

Concerning your verdict - how does owning all DCS modules change the set of facts based on which one could be able to accurately judge the value/quality of EDGE?

The BMX bikes make up the ground detail at airports, which is very much part of what you were referring to. Also, look at vehicles there for example. They are modeled with more detail in current DCS. It´s quite interesting to compare the individual differences...

But enough, I don´t care for an argument here. There´s no point. As far as my opinion on this goes, differentiated criticism of DCS World should be encouraged, not the polemics and generalised attitudes that may go along with it. No offense.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

it doesnt look like UT1, it looks more like arma1 with better lighting, and thats not bad when it comes to flight sims.

ED needs to change the lighting put in tons of bloom, sun shafts on every single shadow, and a bunch of motion blur, and then everyone will be screaming like little girls and saying how it looks like Crysis or something

*sigh*

This.

Of course it could be turnable on\off, but such addons highly improve visual quality IMHO.

Some things can be overrated, ones like saturated colors, high bloom ect but if you like it, the overall visuals are much nicer.

I remember bloom mod for FC1 or 2. It was good visual boost.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

*sigh*

Sublte light shafts on clouds sure would be nice, depending on the atmospheric conditions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

The thing EDGE has going for it is the sheer amount of detail possible. I honestly don't care if every single light post has bump mapping and is ultra-realistic (which, for a flight sim, is honestly well outside the realm of reality based on current hardware constraints). But EDGE, even in these outdated videos, is the most detailed flight simulation engine I've ever seen.

Other flight sims with scenery add-ons are neat and all, but they don't have forests full of 3D trees, actual street lights at every corner, moving 3D modeled automobiles (so what if they're not Forza-quality... they really don't need to be), rows and rows of actual modeled houses (that are all a little bit unique) rather than the usual rectangular placeholders, etc etc. And honestly, in all the other flight sims I've seen, the ground textures still look pretty bad (but that's to be expected as the regions they cover are huge).

If a several year old representation of EDGE looks as good as what we're seeing in these videos from YouTube (which also aren't representative of EDGE on a consumer machine, IIRC these videos are representative of commercial flight training simulators which aren't usually as spec'd out as home enthusiast machines) I definitely look forward to seeing what EDGE looks like once incorporated into DCS World.

Robert Sogomonian | Psyrixx

website| e-mail | blog | youtube | twitter

Sounds like Xplane 10

Either way they do need to keep up with the latest technologies and video cards, as well as being able to handle more RAM.

In the last couple of years advances in PC hardware has slowed dramatically which is giving developers time to catch up, and run on software platforms for a longer period of time.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Sounds like Xplane 10

It's pretty much any other flight sim I've played, with or without texture packs. :P

FSX with REX, for example, has great looking scenery from the air, but it becomes ugly and pixelated the closer you get to the ground. Texture packs or "advanced scenery" don't touch the ugly gray line roads or add traffic.

Considering EDGE takes advantage of DirectX 11.2 and handles multiple video cards I'd say they're keeping up with the latest tech. How does it run in practice? We don't know yet. But that doesn't seem to be the issue here, most people just seem to be criticizing the fact that EDGE doesn't look as "pretty" as, for example, ArmA 3 or Crysis (which if you've played ArmA 3, you'll notice that because of such pretty graphics, flying aircraft with the view distance turned way up drags frames down to single digits... and flying with the default view distance is just not a good experience. It's simply not possible to render huge view distances on current hardware with graphics that are *that* resource intensive).

Eagle Dynamics are playing the Graphics vs. Performance balancing game just like every other developer, and playing it pretty well from where I'm sitting. EDGE is the best looking flight simulator engine I've seen, and if it runs as good or better across the board than the current engine I think it's more than adequate for our needs. :D

If you were expecting photo realism, even tiny-map based FPS like Battlefield 4 are still nowhere near that mark. They spend all of their texture resources on highly detailed small areas, whereas a flight sim has to cover 360kmx360km (or more, in the case of the Caucasus map or games like FSX or XPlane) while still looking good AND performing well. Even if you consider the maximum view distance is only around 100km, that's still a much larger space than even the largest Battlefield map.

Also, EDGE has soooo much DETAIL! Fully rendered streets, street lights, 3D vehicles, trees, ground clutter, vegetation, individualized buildings, beautiful lighting effects... even if it's just confined to the "highly populated areas" it's still more detail than Battlefield or ArmA 3 bring to the table. Or any other flight simulator currently on the market with or without high resolution texture packs. I'm really at a loss when people complain about how EDGE looks, because there's just so much to look at!

And considering the screenshots we've seen thus far have only been taken in the map editor and not in the game engine with all of the effects turned on, I'd say it'll look even better once it's in our hands.

:pilotfly:

Edited by Psyrixx

Robert Sogomonian | Psyrixx

website| e-mail | blog | youtube | twitter

the effects of the destruction of the buildings will be improved in this new map? ? ?

useless to make a new map with beautiful scenery, beautiful buildings but with

the effects of destruction of buildings,similar to the games of the 60s

see the quality of the effects of this game, looks real

<------------------Game ARMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMrIpUCP0ZI <------------------ Video Real

when dcs get this quality of effects, I'll be happy

English made in google translator :)

Edited by 8core

...lets keep it on what we know about EDGE and Nevada only.

much better

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I hope we get some new effects that affect gameplay such as raindrops on the canopy and fogging, so we can make use of those canopy defog and windscreen wiper switches :D

I hope we get some old effects back! :o) Like appropriate CBU effects, etc.

All sounds great and I guess it would be an big push for the sim, but I am afraid we will never see it.

The first post was 2 years ago and the dev team doesn't really focus on it.

Nowadays, we have many new aircrafts I don't care. But EDGE would be a bigger and more interesting step / improvement.

________________________ ________ ______ ___ __ _

Win10 64 Pro, i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, 32 GB (DDR4), Asus Aorus 1080 TI WF, TrackIR 5 / RIFT, Thrustmaster Warthog, Fanatec Pedals, 55" oled 4k TV, Modules:A10C, KA-50, Huey, AV-8B, FA-18, F-16, NTTR, Persian Gulf

_ __ ___ ____ _____ ______ _______ ____________

All sounds great and I guess it would be an big push for the sim, but I am afraid we will never see it.

The first post was 2 years ago and the dev team doesn't really focus on it.

Nowadays, we have many new aircrafts I don't care. But EDGE would be a bigger and more interesting step / improvement.

Are you saying that you are afraid EDGE will never seen? It HAS been seen and official screenshots are here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=115306

Dev team doesn't really focus on it? Are you basing this off of that this thread was started two years ago? They very much are working on it and this thread was just a place to gather information to one location. The first thread has been edited numerous times when new information is officially posted, with the most recent edit being three days ago. The latest official information was posted only Nine days ago; "currently setting up the DCS code structure to handle EDGE-based terrain data"

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

Man let it go... :(

There is some adjectives for those kind of persons.... but I wont say them as I'll be in trouble :doh:

Not a lot are saying it, but keep it up ED! :thumbup:

Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

clouds in DCS EDGE/IG?

so i been seeing these great screenshots of the upcoming DCS EDGE/IG... from baku to corsica to nellis...

any one know anything about clouds for the upcoming EDGE/IG?

would be great to see something like this

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Are you saying that you are afraid EDGE will never seen? It HAS been seen and official screenshots are here:

Dev team doesn't really focus on it? Are you basing this off of that this thread was started two years ago? They very much are working on it and this thread was just a place to gather information to one location. The first thread has been edited numerous times when new information is officially posted, with the most recent edit being three days ago. The latest official information was posted only Nine days ago; "currently setting up the DCS code structure to handle EDGE-based terrain data"

ED have the Focus on Edge and NTTR like on the next US Fixed Wing announced since about 3 Years now, like on the new ATC, like on Mutliplayerstability, like, like like, like....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I´m not only perfect, I´m German! Let´s drink on it!!!

System Spec.:

i7 4771, GTX 770, Samsung SyncMaster S27B370

Hotas Warthog, MFD Cougar und eigenbau Pedale

(Edelstahl mit Hallsensoren), Eigenbau Headtracker über Opentrack, Eigenbau UFC