DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

I feel like Bicycle Lake AAF (Ft. Irwin), Twentynine Palms and Edwards AFB would balance out the three existing air fields and also fit into the NTTR theme. But that's probably just me. :music_whistling:

LG 34UC97 34" 3440x1440 monitor | 2x GTX-980 G1 Gaming

I7-5820k @ 3.3GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 2133Mhz

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & 1TB SSDs | Seagate 3TB HDD

TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what can be expected from the weather modeling in DCS World when EDGE becomes available.

In that vain of questioning, one would wonder whether it is worth the effort.

Increasing FPS on a dated engine was the main reason for having EDGE render the images to our screens, off loading the work to the GPU which preforms this task better. Logical pursuit in lieu of totally reworking the programming to a modern level. i.e. adding multi-core support along with multi-GPU support.

This newer programming will have to be done sooner than later. Imagine this "Outstanding" DCS Product with all of the bells and whistles of modern programming languages. Taking advantage of Intel's Instruction set, ability to put heavy work on multiple CPUs. DX11 implemented from the floor up, increasing the Pixilation of what we have now so that the images in use are rendered as high as a Pixar 3D Movie. (from what I have read the level of pixilation is very high now but not used due to FPs problems). If this could be created I would not hesitate to Pay $100. US for it.

I just hope the cost isn't prohibitive to the market share DCS has now. If so we will never see it out of this studio anyway. That would be absolutely tragic. Well to me anyway. I feel like part of a team that would be loosing out. Hopefully with the 3rd party developers and Steam sales DCS. Eagle Dynamics/Balsimtek will pull this major metamorphosis of this title off. Think about it. There is no other direction for this title to go. So keeping my fingers crossed that soon we will hear of this great turn of events.

Edited by AtaliaA1

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Will the EDGE be free of charge and will it help to raise frame rate with less capable computers?

Yes, EDGE will be part of the 2.0 update, free, of course. And one reason they're making a new engine is to improve performance, yes, but it also depends on what do you mean by less capable computer. Don't expect magically +30FPS on a calculator that is struggling to run it on low. ;)

Edited by GeorgeLKMT

If your 'less capable computer' is using a video card that cannot do DX11, you probably won't even be able to start the game, I'm guessing.

So yes, it really depends on what you mean by 'less capable'.

Will the EDGE be free of charge and will it help to raise frame rate with less capable computers?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

There are already consumer graphics cards that support the upcoming DX12 (probably to be released in 2015), so I think it would be a waste to release EDGE with DX11 and be done with it.

I'm pretty sure ED could partner with Microsoft to convert the work they've done already in DX11. I once saw a slide from either Microsoft or AMD stating that the difficulty, ranging from "Easy" to "Hard", of converting something finished from DX11 to DX12 was considered "Easy", amongst other conversions of other API's.

DX12 will have several advantages, the biggest one being a way lower CPU usage due to way lower draw calls, it'd be a hell of an optimization for those having big CPU bottlenecks and could expand the playerbase way further (to not even mention the other DX12 graphical advantages).

For those wondering about compatibility, it will obviously also work with at the very least DX11 cards, but without the DX12 advantages (d'uh).

Question to ED: Is there anything you can state about DCS and DX12 (such as EDGE compatibility at the release or on the future)?

Edited by Joao611
Added a question.

• ED Team

They havent announced anything about future plans for DX12, so I dont see it happening any time soon.

There are already consumer graphics cards that support the upcoming DX12 (probably to be released in 2015), so I think it would be a waste to release EDGE with DX11 and be done with it.

I'm pretty sure ED could partner with Microsoft to convert the work they've done already in DX11. I once saw a slide from either Microsoft or AMD stating that the difficulty, ranging from "Easy" to "Hard", of converting something finished from DX11 to DX12 was considered "Easy", amongst other conversions of other API's.

DX12 will have several advantages, the biggest one being a way lower CPU usage due to way lower draw calls, it'd be a hell of an optimization for those having big CPU bottlenecks and could expand the playerbase way further (to not even mention the other DX12 graphical advantages).

For those wondering about compatibility, it will obviously also work with at the very least DX11 cards, but without the DX12 advantages (d'uh).

Question to ED: Is there anything you can state about DCS and DX12 (such as EDGE compatibility at the release or on the future)?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I feel like Bicycle Lake AAF (Ft. Irwin), Twentynine Palms and Edwards AFB would balance out the three existing air fields and also fit into the NTTR theme. But that's probably just me. :music_whistling:

no, not just you

NAS Fallon is just next to the top left corner and there is NAWS China Lake too, north of Edwards AFB

CoW4daW.jpg

sign-pic4.jpg

I once saw a slide from either Microsoft or AMD stating that the difficulty, ranging from "Easy" to "Hard", of converting something finished from DX11 to DX12 was considered "Easy", amongst other conversions of other API's.

It would seem "Easy" to do. DX9s API required X in DX11/12 the program language must say XyX to be compatible with modern gaming Technology.

One day just plugging in the Data from DX9 into a program capable of generating/converting the same Data into DX12. would be the best way to go, eliminating human error.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

One day just plugging in the Data from DX9 into a program capable of generating/converting the same Data into DX12. would be the best way to go, eliminating human error.

The code generators i have worked with produce code that is in most cases far less serviceable and less efficient than that written by humans.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Pardon me but in the September newsletter it said that DCS 2.0 will have skeleton animations. What does this mean? Infantry will rag doll?

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Pardon me but in the September newsletter it said that DCS 2.0 will have skeleton animations. What does this mean? Infantry will rag doll?

I imagine skeletons running around the battle field, I dun know.:music_whistling:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Skeletal Animations mean exactly what the sound like. In humanoid models, all the skeletal joints will be animated for fluid natural movement. I believe it actually applies to all models though, so that the moving parts will be "hinged" exactly as they are in reality. Someone correct me if I am wrong with that last bit........

Hi, guys!

I don't know if I post this in the right place or not but I got a question about the DCS EDGE. How is the DCS edge coming along? Thanks!

From the October newsletter,

New DCS Maps

Both the Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR) and Strait of Hormuz maps are making great progress. In fact, the NTTR map has been successfully integrated into DCS World 2 and is now undergoing extensive work to iron out issues. We hope to release the NTTR map in late December. This will be a free map to those that purchased the DCS: A-10C Warthog while it was in beta.

How the maps are doing is how EDGE is doing.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

so, quick question,

is the Nevada map now going to be free for everyone, or just the purchasers of the A-10C when it was still in beta? (as in standalone).

DCS: F-4E really needs to be a thing!!!!!!

Aircraft: A-10C, Ka-50, UH-1H, MiG-21, F-15C, Su-27, MiG-29, A-10A, Su-25, Su-25T, TF-51

so, quick question,

is the Nevada map now going to be free for everyone, or just the purchasers of the A-10C when it was still in beta? (as in standalone).

it will be free to those that Purchased DCS:A-10C in Spring 2011;

Everyone else will have to purchase a license, Pricing has not been announced.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

so, quick question,

See the last line of text in the quote I posted two posts above yours.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

it will be free to those that Purchased DCS:A-10C in Spring 2011;

Everyone else will have to purchase a license, Pricing has not been announced.

Is there any way to check when the purchase was made? I purchased the A10C ages ago, not sure if it was in beta though or not.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.