DCS P-51D QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

What should I set the trims to?

To whatever setting keeps you straight and level. Trim is there to alleviate manual control pressure on the flightstick.

Edited by 159th_Viper

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Is it possible to have smoke generator resized ? Those that are in place are too long.:(

that is the best we will get i think. atleast its smoke functionality of some sort, for that im greatfull they allowed that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Spinning Out of Control

When flying in the P51 I have tried several setting on the Rudder to try and not make it so sensitve in the turns. But when I turn hard I spin out of control. I have tried not pulling so hard and I still spin out of control. People are out turning me and not crashing. Any help would be appreciated.:helpsmilie:

Communication Radio Menu problems

I've been flying BS2 & A-10C in Sim mode for quite a while without having any issues with Communication Radio.

I've just purchased P-51D & UH-1H Huey and I'm having the same weird Radio problem with both, so it can't be a coincidence. Before takeoff in P-51D the Radio Menu opens OK and I communicate with ATC, but once airborne, The Radio Menu command doesn't react / open any more. The same problem with Huey with the difference before takeoff, I open Radio Menu I send a take off or something else, I see the command in written, but there is no Audio or any reply even in written.

no need for reply here anymore, I opened with it a new topic under P-51D / Bugs & Problems

Edited by Biba

BiBa...............BigBang

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

Communication Radio Menu problems

I've been flying BS2 & A-10C in Sim mode for quite a while without having any issues with Communication Radio.

I've just purchased P-51D & UH-1H Huey and I'm having the same weird Radio problem with both, so it can't be a coincidence. Before takeoff in P-51D the Radio Menu opens OK and I communicate with ATC, but once airborne, The Radio Menu command doesn't react / open any more. The same problem with Huey with the difference before takeoff, I open Radio Menu I send a take off or something else, I see the command in written, but there is no Audio or any reply even in written.

no need for reply here anymore, I opened with it a new topic under P-51D / Bugs & Problems

ensure you set the frequency to one of P-51's ABCD channels in the editor, same thing for UH-1H, only the ATC frequency. You can't change the frequency for a radio button in the mustang though.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

New to DCS

I just put in DCS P-51 and I like the way everything looks and works, had to get used to the way it handles and all but you get better in time. About DCS world should I instal that or did it already come with the P-51 box ver. Also I'd like to get the F-16 and the F-18. I got two with the P-51 so I thought these might come with A-10 or the Black Shark it dose not say.

Just try to assign your default "Push-to-talk" button to a radio command button if you use realistic radio mode. It solved the problem in my case.

Edited by Lusik

What Are Your Settings?

I have been trying to fly the P51 and I am at my wits end.

I am using the Saitech X52 SST and no rudder pedals.

What are the in game settings you recommend, or are using to keep this bird from spinning out of control in a turn?

I had a Saitek X52 and found it much too imprecise for competitive flying. I don't think I'd be able to win a dogfight against the AI in P-51D using the X52. I also wouldn't even think about trying to fly P-51 without pedals ... food for thought. Regardless, I still recommend, even with the sloppy X52, direct input--no curves, no dead zone. (The X52 has a large dead zone in its hardware, but as this is a physical flaw in the design of the stick, there's nothing you can do about that.)

Do you understand the basic theory of what goes on during maneuvers? The difference between pitch and angle of attack; stall speed changing with G-load; effects of flying uncoordinated, slip & skid; fuel load and CoG ... that sort of thing? Or are you new to real-life flying physics?

You wanna try to get on TS3 and see if I can give you a hand in real-time? Forum's no place for trying to help you out with this sort of problem. At least seeing you fly would give a better idea of what's going on.

Edited by Echo38

lbmoore, that's a great offer from echo. He is a top notch virtual pilot and also a good instructor. I hope it helps!

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I've been using these setting for all axii with the Stang ever since it first came out and have no probs whatsoever with controlling the bird. Maybe try something similar and report back?

StangSettings.jpg.6ab9064b6815325e01097553100af90d.jpg

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I have been trying to fly the P51 and I am at my wits end.

I am using the Saitech X52

Well there's your problem. I hated my X52 pro, its far too imprecise and with such sensitive controls as the P51 has it is a recipe for frustration. Still, you can play with the dead zones and curve settings to make it almost tolerable. reduce the rudder to about 50% for starters. I have the Thrustmaster warthog stick now with saitek combat pedals. The sim is a million times better but still unforgiving. I guess the P51 is just a demanding lady....

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I've tried to starve the engine, by closing the throttle all the way back, while parking, and the engine remains working. as i know, this should starve the engine, and consequently, stop the engine, or is it not supposed to be like that?

or is it not modeled? yet?

Thx

Hi

I've tried to starve the engine, by closing the throttle all the way back, while parking, and the engine remains working. as i know, this should starve the engine, and consequently, stop the engine, or is it not supposed to be like that?

or is it not modeled? yet?

Thx

as long as the fuel booster pumps are working by power, and as long as the fuel shutoff is in the on position, the engine will continue to operate as its receiving fuel. If you closed both above items then the engine should quit.

The procedure to kill the engine is:

1- retard throttle to 1500 rpm

2- put the mixture control into idle cutoff

3- when the blades stop spinning, move ignition to off and advance throttle full forward (including breaking the WEP wick)

4- turn off the booster pump

5- turn off the shutoff valve (red lever)

6- turn off battery and generator switches.

7- open canopy

8- disengage the safety harness

9- mount down with away from flap positions on the body.

10- slide down and check flaps are operational.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

as long as the fuel booster pumps are working by power, and as long as the fuel shutoff is in the on position, the engine will continue to operate as its receiving fuel. If you closed both above items then the engine should quit.

The procedure to kill the engine is:

1- retard throttle to 1500 rpm

2- put the mixture control into idle cutoff

3- when the blades stop spinning, move ignition to off and advance throttle full forward (including breaking the WEP wick)

4- turn off the booster pump

5- turn off the shutoff valve (red lever)

6- turn off battery and generator switches.

7- open canopy

8- disengage the safety harness

9- mount down with away from flap positions on the body.

10- slide down and check flaps are operational.

From what I know regarding the engine only:

1 - 1500RPM

2 - Fuel booster off

3 - Mixture idle cutoff

4 - Slowly advance throttle when RPM falls below 700. Advancing throttle above 700RPM may cause backfires.

'Frett'

I didn't want to shut down the engine, i was saying that, idling with closed throttle it's not realistic, as i know...it will eventually stall the engine.

I just mentioned it's not modeled..this product is great, i love it so much, so detailed and realistic, so, if there is something not realistic, it's bothering me.

so, i wanted to hear from those who knows how it's works.

Thx

• ED Team
I didn't want to shut down the engine, i was saying that, idling with closed throttle it's not realistic, as i know...it will eventually stall the engine.

I just mentioned it's not modeled..this product is great, i love it so much, so detailed and realistic, so, if there is something not realistic, it's bothering me.

so, i wanted to hear from those who knows how it's works.

Thx

Idling with closed throttle is impossible? Just say it to engineers that are adjusting the idle stop for the throttle, and you will make their day...

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

So, the question is, is there an Idle stop for the throttle in WW2 aircraft? and particular in the P-51D?

I'm asking because, from what i know. there wasn't an Idle Stop, so if you back the throttle a bit too much, the engine will stall..and that's the issue that bothering me.

maybe i'm wrong, i just wanted to know from those who knows.

Thx for the answers and thx for those excellent products!

• ED Team
So, the question is, is there an Idle stop for the throttle in WW2 aircraft? and particular in the P-51D?

I'm asking because, from what i know. there wasn't an Idle Stop, so if you back the throttle a bit too much, the engine will stall..and that's the issue that bothering me.

maybe i'm wrong, i just wanted to know from those who knows.

Thx for the answers and thx for those excellent products!

It's a wrong knowing. Any piston engine MUST work as the throttle lever or pedal (for the car engine) is in its minimal position. There is a special procedure to obtain steady idling when the lever or pedal is in their minimal position. The point is that it does not mean FULLY CLOSED batterfly valve. The amount of clearance left is a matter to adjustment.

If the engine is cold, though, this adjustment can be broken because of improper petrol evapouration, burning velocity, etc., so the engine can run roughly at idle.

P.S. Time to time I have to perform this procedure using two screws on the carburettor in my car. As well as adjusting valves gaps... :)

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me