• AH-1W Super Cobra
    • AH-64A Apache
    • AH-64D Longbow
    • Eurocopter Tiger
    • Mi-24 Hind
    • Mi-28 Havok
    • Rooivalk
    • Other

Anyone else first get exposed to rotary sims via Novalogic's Comanche series? Ah, the memories =D

Anything from Gunship and Gunship 2000, Janes Apache Longbow, Longbow 2, Novalogic's Comanche, DI's Apache then of course Hind, Enemy Engaged, to Gunship! with the nice addition of the Eurocopter Tiger and finally Black Shark... along with lots of fixed wing, spacefighter and Battlemech sims, I had them all. :thumbsup:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I'd never seen that Commanche information before, very interesting stuff. I'm another Gunship/Gunship 2000 veteran, and those games got me obsessed with attack helicopters during my teens. For that reason alone I was sorry to see the Commanche cancelled although I can see exactly why they did.

Anybody knows what happened to the DCS: AH-64A that was Supposed to be release after the DCS: A-10C?

DCS: AH-64A was official at the time, i think it was 2009-2010. even there was some cockpit renders..and TFC said it was under development.

In the new road map that Wags revealed, there was no AH-64 mentioned in the list ):

Was it abandoned? delayed?

Thx

I think i'm the only one who doesn't care about 100% accuracy when it comes to the longbow :music_whistling:

Give me a friggin working radar system :D

I miss popping up - scanning - hiding - classifying and then launching a ripple of hellfires!!!!

My vote was for the ah64d if you didn't guess:P

You're not the only one here who loves the Longbow ;)

Bed time reading :) enjoy.

US Army Apache Longbow AH-64D Attack Helicopter Operator’s Manual

http://publicintelligence.net/us-army-apache-longbow-ah-64d-attack-helicopter-operators-manual/

Nice docs over there! thx! :thumbup:

On topic, give me an AH-64D or a Tiger (or both?:P), I hope that dream will come true one day :)

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

damn, that shrink cost me alot of dough.:P

the AH64D is whey out of the question even without the Longbow radar, same goes for the Havoc.

You think the Havoc is also too classified :(? Damn it would be a nice addon IMO. But yeah the modern choppers are too classified to simulate accurately that's true.

But for example (don't start yelling and crying people) if people get a piece of steak and it tastes like steak, then who cares? ;). What I mean is that if ED or another game developer would simulate a modern Longbow, except for a few minor details (speculating), then who would ever know the difference (unless you're an Longbow pilot yourself right)? An average plumber Joe doesn't know shit how the Longbow works, mainly the developers and pilots themself.

You can't simulate 100%. It can come close by, but never completely. I don't want to upset people believe me, but am I right or am I wrong?

You think the Havoc is also too classified :(? Damn it would be a nice addon IMO. But yeah the modern choppers are too classified to simulate accurately that's true.

But for example (don't start yelling and crying people) if people get a piece of steak and it tastes like steak, then who cares? ;). What I mean is that if ED or another game developer would simulate a modern Longbow, except for a few minor details (speculating), then who would ever know the difference (unless you're an Longbow pilot yourself right)? An average plumber Joe doesn't know shit how the Longbow works, mainly the developers and pilots themself.

You can't simulate 100%. It can come close by, but never completely. I don't want to upset people believe me, but am I right or am I wrong?

The question is: what apart from intricate details about the Longbow radar is "classified"? The capabilities in general, like targeting modes, LOBL and LOAL, automated target classification etc are well known, since Jane's Longbow2... The mTADS and PNVS's capabilities are well represented in the videos on Combat Helo.

What is left to be so sensitive, that it can't be represented in a sim. I guess the AMRAAM and Maverick parameters are also not 100% accurate for missing,"classified" data.

Well, if the radar frequencies, or the range is modeled as an educated guess, that's fine with me. :thumbup:

So I totally agree, why not model an AH-64D Longbow as good as possible... at least it will beat Longbow2 by miles.

Edited by shagrat
  • Like 1

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I think we can play "DCS World: AH-64A" someday. It's the day when ED took permissions to simulate it. But I think it will be many many many years later (like Ka-50). Really... ED may not simulate any helicopter long time (or anymore), after Huey. That's just my opinion.

Sometimes I check Combat-Helo's website hopelessly...

But ED didn't Huey so they still have one to burn:music_whistling::D

I just had a quick look into the "US Army Apache Longbow AH-64D Attack Helicopter Operator’s Manual" ( http://publicintelligence.net/us-arm...rators-manual/ ) :cry:

I did notice that the controls even for the pilot, are hell more complex than, what even the Warthog can offer! I guess a major problem for simulating the AH-64 to DCS fidelity, will bring up a controller problem by its own right.

Unless no company builds a Pilot and Operator controls set, we end up fighting endless key combinations... Not saying it is not possible to do that, or maybe fiddle some useful simplified controls together, but a DCS Level, every button clickable cockpit seems like a huuuuge challenge at the moment.:(

Shagrat

AH-6

OH-58

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

• 2 weeks later...

Longbow was my vote. Like many of you, I've been around since the early days of Microprose. Loved the Janes Longbow back in the day. I have DCS:BS2, but would really love to see the Longbow modeled.

I'd definitely purchase a DCS Longbow (or even a mid-level version), in a heartbeat.

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod