DCS: Tornado possible?

Personally I would hope that it will be a GR variant rather than F3.

Tornado is known mainly as a sophisticated strike aircrafter after all, isn't it? :).

While I like interceptors just fine, in case of Tornado, at least to me, it seems the choice is between a premiere strike aircraft tailored to task, and a (hopefully not stepping on any toes here) mediocre interceptor that is barely suitable to task :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We wouldn't do both, It would be one or the other

Time / resources / demand just dont allow us to do everything we want ;)

Pman

Alright :)

Btw, I'm just reading "Tornado Over the Tigris: Recollections of a Fast Jet Pilot" by former RAF pilot Michael Napier, who flew the Tornado GR1 during the 80s in Germany and later in Iraq. It's a really interesting read! :thumbup:

At one point in the book he said that his navigator (a very talented one he said) used the A-G radar to search for enemy aircraft and I think even locked them. I found this particulary interesting, since it is the only time I heard that the Tonkas A-G radar can also be used in the A-A role, altough limited. I wonder if that was common use or just one particulary talented navigator exploiting the radar? :D

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I would much prefer the GR1 than the F3. The GR's are much loved by their pilots. And talking of the GR1 it still had a wide array of weapons capability, and also reconaisence capability.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Btw, I'm just reading "Tornado Over the Tigris: Recollections of a Fast Jet Pilot" by former RAF pilot Michael Napier, who flew the Tornado GR1 during the 80s in Germany and later in Iraq. It's a really interesting read! :thumbup:

At one point in the book he said that his navigator (a very talented one he said) used the A-G radar to search for enemy aircraft and I think even locked them. I found this particulary interesting, since it is the only time I heard that the Tonkas A-G radar can also be used in the A-A role, altough limited. I wonder if that was common use or just one particulary talented navigator exploiting the radar? :D

Doesn't the GR1/GR4 have a mode in its radar for A2A capabilities although somewhat limited. Don't quote me on that because I may be wrong but I thought that it did. Interesting though that this guy managed to lock an air target with the ground radar that quite a skill.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

As far as I was aware you couldn't lock air targets with the A2G radar in the Gr1, if it was a case of an exploit then we couldnt put it in the sim as I have no idea how he did it! Not too mention potential issues with weapon tracking post launch.

Pman

Its just too much work to be honest (all the military negotiations) and the reason that people will want it are things like Brimstone etc which we have an agreement not to include.

Pman

Wait... Does that mean our Tornado isn't going to get the brimstone missiles, or will it get them?

I'm now getting a bit confused.

Wait... Does that mean our Tornado isn't going to get the brimstone missiles, or will it get them?

I'm now getting a bit confused.

Nope, no brimstone without mod approval, something we are not seeking at this time.

Pman

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

GR.1A/B it is then... awesome.

I'd love a Tonka!

GR1, with Jaguar too, so we can fly 1st Gulf war missions maybe?

As long as they don't hold up the Lightning that is. :music_whistling:

Don't forget the Bucc...

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

GR.1A/B it is then... awesome.

Don't forget the Bucc...

To be honest with you it is unlikely we will ever do the Bucc.

We just won't sell enough to make it worthwhile. Same for the Jaguar

Pman

Nope, no brimstone without mod approval, something we are not seeking at this time.

Pman

Ah, damn...

Well, we'll just wait I guess :)

EDIT:

Dammit I seem to have made a mistake in my questioning post.

I meant the Typhoon.

I suppose the answer is still the same as it's about the weapon itself.

Edited by domini99
To be honest with you it is unlikely we will ever do the Bucc.

We just won't sell enough to make it worthwhile. Same for the Jaguar

Pman

Sometimes life just isn't fair.

:cry:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i5 / 16gb RAM / Nvidia GeForce 1080Ti / Viewsonic 28" monitor / TM Warthog / TM Elite rudder pedals / TrackIR5

First flight sim: Psion 'Flight Simulator' (ZX Spectrum 48k)

I understand that the Bucc would not be that awesome market-wise. But the Jaguar? It's one of the planes on the top of my wishlist.. and I ain't even british, or french.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER

I understand that the Bucc would not be that awesome market-wise. But the Jaguar? It's one of the planes on the top of my wishlist.. and I ain't even british, or french.

Some projects I can justify as I can use some of the base code from other aircraft so shorten the development time and costs (Think Buchon with a Merlin 500). Something like the Jag would have to be done from the ground up as it requires a few technologies that we haven't developed before.

Maybe as the DCS market expands we can look back on it and revisit the possibilities. But it wont be before 2017 as our guys have workloads throughout 2016 already

Pman

A Digital Combat Simulator Tornado regardless of which variant it is would be very welcomed in my opinion keep it up VEAO!

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

Give that man a doughnut..

And maybe some coffee. He's gonna be at it for a while! ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-- i7 4790K

-- Club 3D R9 290X Royal Ace SOC

-- Asus Maximus VII Ranger

-- G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3-2400 CL10

-- Gelid Tranquillo rev.2

-- Corsair RM850

-- Corsair 760T White

-- Windows 10