DCS SA342 Gazelle Project

Pat01

Thanks Pat, is that for 2.0 also?

Superb module by the way, now that I have some practice at flying the Gazelle she really is becoming a dream to fly.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is weird, once I got used to the twitchy nature of this chopper and can start to predict its nature... and as long as the FM is correct, then I seem to be coming to the conclusion that the gazelle is probably the safest chopper I have flown in DCS.

Does anyone else get this feeling?

Love the speed auto pilot.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Hi Gents

There's an issue about landing in "grass"

Landing at ships, taxiway, runway, building tops, Farp is ok

For some reason landing somewhere else than these places, could even explode the helicopter even with helicopter cold at start. You can land in "grass" at some places and not at other places.

As soon as we can spot where the issue comes from it will be fixed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Out of curiosity, check the end of this video where he lands: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EMaodad5nc[/ame]

You can see that there is a decent amount of flexing to that landing gear. Would it be right to assume that regardless of how nicely you land, she still feels too stiff on the landing? Visually I can only deduce that although the FM seems great, the interaction with the ground however seems too, well, stiff. Be it on concrete airfields or on pretty much any other surface.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is weird, once I got used to the twitchy nature of this chopper and can start to predict its nature... and as long as the FM is correct, then I seem to be coming to the conclusion that the gazelle is probably the safest chopper I have flown in DCS.

I haven't quite 'turned the corner' like you have—I'm not good enough with the Gazelle yet—but I doubt I'll get the same feeling when I have. The Ka-50's stability and autopilot systems are so much more advanced. Flown correctly, it's far and away the safest whirlybird in DCS, in my opinion.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

But can le Gazelle do zis? :

yaaa glorious german engineering, titanium rotor head, no bearings, GRP blades.

Just le obvious german engineering. ;)

But unfortunately no FLIR.

First helicopter in europe to be officially cleared for looping/in general aerobatic flight iirc.

Interesting find on wiki about the Gazelle:

The main rotor system had originally based upon the rigid rotor technology developed by Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm for the MBB Bo 105; however, due to control problems experienced while at high speeds upon prototype aircraft, the rigid rotor was replaced with a semi-articulated one on production aircraft. (source here)

Soooo. Guess the Bo105 rotor is not good enough for the gazelle...... :megalol:

Can't say I do. ;)

I totally love it, and most of the time I'm well in control by now. But it happens every so often that the helicopter violently goes out of control and I find myself in heavy pilot induced oscillations, sometimes even coming from routine level turns, and it takes a lot of concentration and some luck to get out of them alive.

The Huey feels a lot safer and more predictable in this regard, and I agree with Fishbreath that the Ka-50 is by far the most stable helicopter in DCS right now (but I have too few hours on the Mi-8 to compare it, maybe otherwise I'd name the Mi-8 to be the most stable one).

But it's always fascinating how a new chopper like the Gazelle presents such a tremendous challenge, and then after a dozen hours I'm like "Yeah, it's pretty stable, just give very gentle inputs and it's mostly fine" ;)

I haven't quite 'turned the corner' like you have—I'm not good enough with the Gazelle yet—but I doubt I'll get the same feeling when I have. The Ka-50's stability and autopilot systems are so much more advanced. Flown correctly, it's far and away the safest whirlybird in DCS, in my opinion.

I've gotten the Ka50 super recently, after I got Gazelle. So I'm probably far away from the "flown correctly" part you mention ;) BUT atm I vastly prefer the trim & auto-pilot features of the Gazelle over the Shark.

The magnetic brake trim of the Gazelle is to the point, simpler, and functional. I'm fighting the Shark trim all the time atm without ever finding the sweet spot I need, even going as far as catastrophic trim settings (ie : ends up in the ground). It really really has unnatural behavior to me (I'm not complaining, I just don't understand the bird yet :) )

Same with auto-pilot. I actually rarely use the speed or alt mode in either bird. The trim system of the gazelle makes the need for en-route autopilot redundant, if you ask me. The flight plan autopilot for Shark works fine, I guess. That's probably the only auto-pilot feature I've made working fine up to now ;)

I kinda agree with Rogue Trooper. Outside of the super touchy part (getting into hover), the Gazelle feels really safe, because I find her intuitive.

Mind you, she's my first DCS chopper, Ka50 is my second. That maybe explains, I don't have previous experience.

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Soooo. Guess the Bo105 rotor is not good enough for the gazelle...... :megalol:

Well, the rotor head is fine and does its job perfectly on the BO-105 so the root cause of the problem is likely somewhere in the Gazelle?

You can't judt put a Porsche transmission in a Citroen either and expect it to work without problems... :D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I've gotten the Ka50 super recently, after I got Gazelle. So I'm probably far away from the "flown correctly" part you mention ;) BUT atm I vastly prefer the trim & auto-pilot features of the Gazelle over the Shark.

The magnetic brake trim of the Gazelle is to the point, simpler, and functional. I'm fighting the Shark trim all the time atm without ever finding the sweet spot I need, even going as far as catastrophic trim settings (ie : ends up in the ground). It really really has unnatural behavior to me (I'm not complaining, I just don't understand the bird yet :) )

Same with auto-pilot. I actually rarely use the speed or alt mode in either bird. The trim system of the gazelle makes the need for en-route autopilot redundant, if you ask me. The flight plan autopilot for Shark works fine, I guess. That's probably the only auto-pilot feature I've made working fine up to now ;)

I kinda agree with Rogue Trooper. Outside of the super touchy part (getting into hover), the Gazelle feels really safe, because I find her intuitive.

Mind you, she's my first DCS chopper, Ka50 is my second. That maybe explains, I don't have previous experience.

The Gazelle is a pilot's helo, and the Ka-50 is a fighting helo. Even with its touchy controls, the Gazelle is an easier beast to come to terms with as your first helicopter, because it behaves largely how a helicopter ought to. The Ka-50, although its autopilots are sophisticated enough so that when I'm flying combat missions, I'm usually touching the stick less than half the time, does not behave altogether like you expect a helicopter to behave. The Gazelle has the edge on my Principle of Least Surprise test.

At the risk of sounding all self-promoting, I'd encourage you to take a look at the trim and flight sections in the Ka-50 guide linked in my signature, when you're ready to dive into Ka-50 piloting. A lot of the explanations out there overcomplicate things, or (IMO) make them harder than they need to be.

Now, of course, back to the Gazelle, and it delightful handling. I don't think I'm going to have much time this week, what with the recent release of Stellaris, but I'm excited to continue to figure the Gazelle out when I have the chance.

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

True... ok second safest chopper.

Can't say I do. ;)

I totally love it, and most of the time I'm well in control by now. But it happens every so often that the helicopter violently goes out of control and I find myself in heavy pilot induced oscillations, sometimes even coming from routine level turns, and it takes a lot of concentration and some luck to get out of them alive.

The Huey feels a lot safer and more predictable in this regard, and I agree with Fishbreath that the Ka-50 is by far the most stable helicopter in DCS right now (but I have too few hours on the Mi-8 to compare it, maybe otherwise I'd name the Mi-8 to be the most stable one).

But it's always fascinating how a new chopper like the Gazelle presents such a tremendous challenge, and then after a dozen hours I'm like "Yeah, it's pretty stable, just give very gentle inputs and it's mostly fine" ;)

Yeah the level turn and the death dive were a real head scratcher for me.

I found that once I spread a wider control area in the centre of my stick (curves) I could control and hold the nose/roll with more precision , I find this chopper sometimes needs to be flown like a plane. :)

That's probably the only auto-pilot feature I've made working fine up to now ;)

Keep in mind that currently the Gazelle has god-like autopilot (or some FM peculiarity) so the helicopter can maintain zero pitch and bank no matter what you do with the collective and rudder. You can take off and land without touching the cyclic, you can also turn violently with rudder only while flying >100 kmph and the aircraft pitch & bank won't change a bit.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I had my first good flight last night—put two HOTs on the winglets, took off, flew around, hovered to fire the missiles, continued flying around, played with some autopilot modes, hovered, and landed on my chosen point. Controls saturation to 70% seems to have helped a lot. I can't picture any scenarios where full controls deflection would be required—the Gazelle has agility to spare even as is.

I had my first good flight last night—put two HOTs on the winglets, took off, flew around, hovered to fire the missiles, continued flying around, played with some autopilot modes, hovered, and landed on my chosen point. Controls saturation to 70% seems to have helped a lot. I can't picture any scenarios where full controls deflection would be required—the Gazelle has agility to spare even as is.

You're all over it Fish!! I to had some good flight last night in the Gazelle. She is fun to fly no doubt. I do still have my struggles getting the bird within the auto-hover parameters at times though but when I do I can pop those HOTs off and on target with no problem. Also while flying, trimming for level flight is pretty easy. She basically flies on her own with little to no correction. With all that I can say well done so far Polychop!! Continue to bring us more on this bird. :thumbup:

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

You're all over it Fish!! I to had some good flight last night in the Gazelle. She is fun to fly no doubt. I do still have my struggles getting the bird within the auto-hover parameters at times though but when I do I can pop those HOTs off and on target with no problem. Also while flying, trimming for level flight is pretty easy. She basically flies on her own with little to no correction. With all that I can say well done so far Polychop!! Continue to bring us more on this bird. :thumbup:

As for hovering, I usually cheat a bit and leave the NADIR in ground speed mode. That gets me close, and I watch the sideslip string to zero in.

Once we get center position trimmer mode and rudder trim, I'll be in hog heaven. (I know I'm an oddball that way, but I prefer to have everything trimmed.) In the other helos, I trim for very close to a hover, and use some tips I heard: look out into the distance, not at the ground right in front of you, and don't deflect the cyclic to correct: bump it to make the correction, and return it to center. Can't quite do that yet here, but I'm looking forward to when I can. (I suppose I could use the trim hat, but I'm still getting used to the idea that I actually have that in a helo!)

Certainly, I'm with you on the last point. Great job, Polychop. Coming to grips with a new helo is probably my favorite part of DCS, given how I don't usually have the time to do multiplayer.

• Like 1

and use some tips I heard: look out into the distance, not at the ground right in front of you,

Good tip this, it goes for fixed wing landing too. This was what I was taught way back in 1996 when learning to fly a microlight IRL, it's worked every time since......so far anyway! :D

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Hi Polychop !

Does with last updates gazelle versions are the same on 1.5.3 and 1.5.3beta ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

I usually have no problem going into hover really quick at low alt. However, I find it a little tricky to make a perfect hover(manually) at higher alt. Cause It's kinda hard to tell 'visually' whether I'm still slightly moving forward or not.

We don't control the Steam release. So we have no say on when it happens. Were hoping sooner rather then later though.

As for the version of the gazelle in the 1.5.3 release version....I'm waiting for confirmation since I'm still at work.

Hi Polychop !

No release on steam ?

• Like 1

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

Hello, no any update Today of Gazelle?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2776751#post2776751

Its a 3th time when we hear about the same Gazelle but no any update of this module + no missing keys still :( (for me shortcuts are very important for home cockpit).

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Patience is a virtue as they say.

First release was for 2.0.2. Second release was for 1.5.3 open beta. Today we released for 1.53.

We uploaded the changes Pat mentioned when he posted them, but we need to confirm if they were updated for this release, or if they are going to wait to upgrade all version at the same time. I'm waiting to hear back from some testers about todays release since I'm still at work.

Hello, no any update Today of Gazelle?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2776751#post2776751

Its a 3th time when we hear about the same Gazelle but no any update of this module + no missing keys still :( (for me shortcuts are very important for home cockpit).

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

It looks like it's not the same version because I can burn my turbine during ramp start in beta and not on stable version. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.