Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The likely lean toward blaming ED might come from DCS being the only title not working on AMD cards.

thats not what Ive read on the OVR boards.

Seems to be a combo of AMD+DX9 DLLs, will have to double.check, but.I dont have a DK anymore and havent for a while.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Facebook has.more, its like 24 bill vs 33 bill.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Lol, I dont understand why people on eBay think theey can sell a DK2 or DK 1 for that matter for $600+ when you caj get it in less than 10 days new from OVR directly....

This link is a VR resolution simulator. It's quite educational to see what the real differences are:

http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/

You will see from the simulation that 4k plus low persistence is vital.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

This link is a VR resolution simulator. It's quite educational to see what the real differences are:

http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/

You will see from the simulation that 4k plus low persistence is vital.

I agree. 4K + low persistence for a quality sim experience. Anything else is sub par and it will be a while before we see a quality VR experience. I'm not buying anything until its there.

I'm not sure what your definition of "quality" is when it comes to VR, but many people that have tried Valve's HTC Vive say that the feeling of presence is definitely there.

While I agree that for certain simulation experiences the current crop of VR devices might be a little sub par, I don't doubt for a second that Oculus CV1 or HTC Vive will create an experience unlike any other in DCS. If you can wait I give you credit, because I'm jumping in head first when it comes to VR and flight sims. :pilotfly:

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

Certainly I don't mind getting each one that comes out until we reach the "Holy Grail" of VR whenever that is. As a DK2 user, even the low quality presentation is worth it for the experience. I am looking forward to the day when we have 180 degrees of field of view, zillions of frames, photo realistic quality on a VR headset about the size of a pair of reading glasses...

...We can hope, right?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Hi Everyone

i am trying to build my own version of oculus rift. I don't what programs to use and how to set it up. i downloaded vireio, and couldn't get is it to work. if there is anyone who has done it please help!!!!

Thanks

I'm not sure what your definition of "quality" is when it comes to VR, but many people that have tried Valve's HTC Vive say that the feeling of presence is definitely there.

While I agree that for certain simulation experiences the current crop of VR devices might be a little sub par, I don't doubt for a second that Oculus CV1 or HTC Vive will create an experience unlike any other in DCS. If you can wait I give you credit, because I'm jumping in head first when it comes to VR and flight sims. :pilotfly:

Me too. Buying on day one and eagerly waiting for it to happen.

Does anyone else think you look as though you are flying low to the ground even at high altitude? I don't think the Rift has the scale correct, but I don't want to look right through this thread to see if anyone else has picked up on this. Has this already been mentioned?

Not really, but I do believe that it is much easier to pick out targets... Maybe because the scale is different in vr, plus resolution is lower.

I've been a VR fan from the beginning and have dk1 and 2... Best thing since sliced bread!

Does anyone else think you look as though you are flying low to the ground even at high altitude? I don't think the Rift has the scale correct, but I don't want to look right through this thread to see if anyone else has picked up on this. Has this already been mentioned?

I never had the feeling, and found my sense of depth much better which made it much easier to grease the landing.:)

Maybe an illusion due to the vergence/focus conflict. Seeing the cockpit and the ground sharp at the same time while eye convergence is saying they are at different distances feels wrong to the brain, and in your case is being resolved with the feeling that the ground is not that far. Just a guess.

Dear Community

There is a known problem with the Oculus Rift and the Nvidia Optimus technology.

The HDMI output supports only 1920x1080 60Hz. That is below the specification of the DK2.

Have one of you ever tried to set the resolution of the DK2 to 1280x720 @ 75Hz or 1600x900 @ 75 Hz? Both 16:9 resolution should work at 75Hz.

If not, can someone try this and give me a feedback?

Be careful that you Notebook fulfill the DCS recommended specification.

There should be still a lagging, because the gpu needs about 20-40ns to copy the data to the igpu.

Thx, i am grateful for any test and feedback.

PS. I have tried to find some Information with Google, but the keywords just give the wrong answers.

Maybe an illusion due to the vergence/focus conflict. Seeing the cockpit and the ground sharp at the same time while eye convergence is saying they are at different distances feels wrong to the brain, and in your case is being resolved with the feeling that the ground is not that far. Just a guess.

Hmmm I have great sense of depth and speed with mine. Definitely set your ipd with the oculus configurator.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Or you can just disable nVidia Optimus for DCS.

Or you can just disable nVidia Optimus for DCS

This problem (at least for most people having this problem) has been identified as resulting from the Optimus technology. The high performance GPU is not actually connected directly to any of the display ports (not the monitor, not the DP, not the HDMI).

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?t=13541

Edited by kaffehtrinkhen

This problem (at least for most people having this problem) has been identified as resulting from the Optimus technology. The high performance GPU is not actually connected directly to any of the display ports (not the monitor, not the DP, not the HDMI).

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?t=13541

Intel / nVidia will likely have to patch the pass through.

Intel / nVidia will likely have to patch the pass through.

Hopefully, but it looks like a hardware problem. I have spend 4 hours with reading about this topic. This optimus issue is one of the reason why oculus recommend a desktop.

The only way what I see, is to change the oculus resolution to 1600x900 @ 75Hz

Sorry Skatzilla, I don't wont to troll, but I need to buy a new laptop. A desktop is not a option for me. And my only reason to spend 1600€ for a n laptop is DCS with VR.

That is the background of my request.

I doubt that there is a laptop available today that will run DCS when using next years high resolution high hertz VR headsets. The demands are too great, and even highend PC's will struggle.

That's not to say that future laptops, and VR hardware/software optimizations won't make it possible at some point.

Sometimes one sometimes the other. Depends on the person. Oculus has improved the puke factor a lot, but a few are still getting sick. I'm sure they will get that ironed out, as Vive has already done so.

The motion sickness is definitely a problem that has been partially addressed thru the development of the Oculus DK1, and DK2 protoypes.

There is no way of knowing if the Oculus Crescent Bay prototype or the Vive prototype have ironed out the motion sickness issue, as both units have only been used by the public for a few minutes at Events using controlled demo software, in fact its impossible as certain software will cause motion sickness issues no matter how good the VR hardware is.

One of the Oculus CEO's has had a huge motion sickness problem in VR, but says that is no longer a problem in the latest Oculus prototypes, and I have no reason to believe that motion sickness hasn't already been largely addressed by the latest Valve prototypes, but it always be an issue for some people.

Everyone has different motion sickness levels.

Motion sickness is related to a combination of the VR hardware specs, VR software used, and user susceptibility.

The consumer versions should definitely see improvements in the latencies, resolutions, and tracking that effect motion sickness.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem with combat flight sims software, when users fly with cockpit on. The cockpit framework will work much like the modelling of a users nose which apparently helps greatly in alleviating motion sickness.:) The cockpit framework is not as solid a reference point as a persons noes, but it should still work satisfactorily enough for most people..

I don't buy that though. As everybody is different as far as tolerances go. I get no sickness what so ever where as others get sick immediately with dcs world. Vive and oculus can hype the whole no more sickness they want. It all depends on the person. 75 frames is plenty good for me I'm just looking forward to a bump in resolution for dcs world.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.